SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GM oem parts online source??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM oem parts online source?? Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a recommended site to order GM oem parts. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Rock Auto

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
FYI if you use many of the dealer's online stores. IF they are offering a ridiculously low price like a 3-5% markup over dealer cost tread cautiously. They will make it up on the shipping and handling side. No dealer can exist on that low margin for very long.

I was a GM dealership parts counterman for a bit over 47 years. Many people print the page and come in wanting me to match that price. I always asked them if they had gone to the checkout page and almost none of them had (so they said, not like anyone is going to scam anybody, right?). As long as I did not have to put in a credit card first like some sites have I would run it to the end and show them what the true cost would be. If it was one of the sites that had to have a credit card entered I would tell them to enter their information and then compare.

GM Performance Parts were my favorite ones. Markup from dealer cost (our book cost) to "trade" (discount usually given to shops and businesses in automotive work) was 10%. Many dealers will discount and sell the performance line to the trade price for all as it is a very competitive area. One dealer would play the 3% markup all day long. He made up well over the 7% difference by charging a handling charge. I quoted one customer an intake manifold, it was fifty dollars more plus the shipping if he had bought it from that dealer.

The parts we sold in our dealership did not have a handling charge normally, GM ships to the dealers at no charge with one exception. That is a part ordered with overnight shipping at the request of the customer or the dealer. One advantage of buying at a local dealer.

Some cusstomers were genuinely surprised on how little the difference was between their final price and our price, sometimes 10-15% and then having to wait several days for the part. I tried to be competitive, some cases I could and some not.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
www.gmpartsdirect.com

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shovelhead, specifically I'm looking for c7 Stingray parts, the back spoiler and the front splitter/spoiler. Nothing too obnoxious, ours didn't come with either though. I have not checked local dealer parts prices, just online.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
gmpartsdirect here also.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
gmpartsdirect has a terrible reputation on corvetteforum. They are an arm of FLOW CHEVROLET.

They only communicate via e-mail, no phone calls, not even if you call FLOW CHEVROLET. They may have good pricing but they more often than not drop ship from other GM sources, hence the often long delays from ordering to shipping to receiving. Their shipping costs are often more expensive because they charge for the part to get to them from another source, then to the consumer. I experienced two bad large purchases from them.

I would recommend https://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/ Gene and Patrick formerly worked for a dealership and went out on their own. Their pricing is excellent and they ship more quickly w/o gouging the consumer. Check out their reputation on corvetteforum.

Another source, also with a good reputation is https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/

I'm on my 4th Corvette and would only deal with one of these two, never gmpartsdirect again.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Add me to the screw gmpartsdirect group. I ordered about $200 worth of parts a few weeks ago (parking sensor and a door handle). Shortly after I ordered I received the email below. I told them I am not sending them my DL info over the innerwebs. They cancelled my order. I'll try Cultrag.

Hi,
Thank you for your recent order. Due to the total amount of this order and for your protection, we will need a copy of a valid photo ID in order to ship this order.

Please email your ID back to this email address: customerservice@gmpartsdirect.com

This order is on hold awaiting your response.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I use GMPartsHouse.com

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Gene Culley of CULTRAG used to run the online parts for gmpartshouse. They had a good Corvette community reputation there, but for whatever reason he and later Patrick, started their own site.

To the original poster, there are a number of reputable aftermarket venders on corvetteforum. Some of their parts are of the same quality if not better than oem. You can check corvetteforum for references. There is a Transaction Feedback section to inquire about any vendor you may have concerns about.

DO NOT USE CORVETTEMODS. They have a terrible reputation and were banned from that forum.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Thanks Shovelhead, specifically I'm looking for c7 Stingray parts, the back spoiler and the front splitter/spoiler. Nothing too obnoxious, ours didn't come with either though. I have not checked local dealer parts prices, just online.

If I was still in the business I'd try to help. Got out the end of June '17, not a bad run for what was supposed to be a temporary job until I was able to get into the Bell System. 47 years later I finally got out! Ten dealerships in that time, longest tenure was 18 1/2 years, shortest was 8 months. Every time to better things.

Have you tried Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock? I started dealing with them in '79 while I lived in New Mexico and after moving back here bought some parts over the years. Unfortunately I have no contact names there anymore, the fellow I dealt with all those years retired a couple of years before I did.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
There are a number of them. Google it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post