SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any ink pen aficionados? Looking for gifts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any ink pen aficionados? Looking for gifts Login/Join 
posted
Looking for gifts for two college students, a nice pen sounds like a good idea. Any recommendations? Nothing super expensive, maybe $100 or less?
Thanks in advance, I'm clueless about this topic...

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I was given a couple Cross pen and pencil sets around that age. I never took to them. I just kept them because they were gifts. I would suggest a really nice rollerball over a Cross set like that. Something by Parker, Pelikan or Waterman unless they are left handed. Not a fountain pen for someone that age either.

EDIT some of those may be out of the budget. They are pricey these days.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The possibilities are endless. I've bought from all over the globe. My last Waterman cost only 5,100 rupees (India), or $71.50 USD. You have to go where the deals are.

I might suggest you check out The Fountain Pen Network. That is where my addiction started.

I also think a fountain pen may be a bit much, but when I buy a particular model of fountain pen, I buy the corresponding rollerball as well. Buying both is something to think about, as it makes a good presentation set.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
The Parker Sonnet is a nice pen. I’ve been using this Parker lately and love it. This isn’t a high end pen which is probably good for college kids. I’ve ordered with Colorado Pen several times with good results.

I can’t speak to the Sonnet fountain pens or rollerballs. I’m left handed and pretty much have to stick to ballpoints and fast drying ink.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Mountblancs. They are more expensive but worth it. They cost enough so that you do not lend them out to anyone. Cheapest is about two hundred bucks.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Parker Sonnets are nice at that price. They have rollerball refills.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
The Parker Sonnet is a nice pen. I’ve been using this Parker lately and love it. This isn’t a high end pen which is probably good for college kids. I’ve ordered with Colorado Pen several times with good results.

I can’t speak to the Sonnet fountain pens or rollerballs. I’m left handed and pretty much have to stick to ballpoints and fast drying ink.

My choice as well. Having them engraved would make a really nice gift. Good luck, Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look at the Retro 51 tornado line. Way under your budget, but punch well above their price point. Refills they come with are really nice crisp rollerball, can also fill with Parker style ballpoint refills as well.

They have a ton of special edition designs that would fit many different personalities, depending on the kids you are buying for. For instance, I have the Declaration of Independence one which is a really nice copper tone exterior with all of the signers etched in. But that is just one of many examples.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Waterman rollerball.... Carene model is nice...

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A high end "Lamy",made in Germany...

linkie...

https://www.lamy.com/en/lamy-safari/

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Acme roller all’s are excellent

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The Lamys are nice, but more of a professional kind of pen.

I'd be looking for:

Leonardo Officina Italiana
Pelican
Monteverde
Noodlers Ink
Conclin
Visconti
TWSBI
Waterman
Pilot
Parker
Sheaffer
Cross
Montblanc

I'd stay with the medium end of these choices. At least for gifts, anyway.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
They’re ballpoint, but I have had a Surefire Pen 1 for about 7 years. It’s been stolen twice and back it comes.
Great pen, heavy AF, unique, and once you get used to using it, there is no equal.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
"Ink pen" is a phrase I never understood.

In the world of marking instruments don't all pens contain ink?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Check these out...

https://www.sunderlandmw.com/

designed and manufactured by a mechanical engineer.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Which type of pen? Not sure a fountain pen is best for a college student, so I'd cross those off my list rather quickly. Then you need to determine if their preferred type of pen is a twist, click, or capped. From there ballpoint vs rollerball. Lots of choices under the $100 mark.

I recently made the decision to have a Fisher AG-7 Space pen engraved for a new Marine, though there are many fine pens out there. I will also say that Palm is spot on in his Retro 51 recommendation. They have something for everyone. I got my daughter a Dr. Gray for Christmas last year since she was going into a nursing program. So far, no complaints, though I'm not sure how often she actually uses it.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa awesome! Great info guys, I really appreciate it. Looks like ive got a little research to do!

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
IMO, pens are wonderful gifts, especially since handwriting is becoming a lost art. In that range, I am another fan of the Parker Sonnet.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fisher Space Pens are kind of cool.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
http://italixpens.com/index.html

While I have a good number of upscale pens (e.g. Pelikan M1000, Waterman LeMan 100 in various flavors, etc.), the Italix Churchman's Prescriptor ($60 + shipping) with the broadest oblique nib Mr. Ford provides has become a favorite (the big black one 2/3rd of the way down with the cap touching the right side of the display case). (I favor big thick pens Big Grin )

A friend has the smaller more conventional sized Parson's Essential ($50+shipping) in amber with a broad nib and loves it.

If you check pen forums you'll find that Italix pens are well thought of and a great bang for the buck.

Also youtube reviews by sbrebrown of pens you may be considering are well worth watching.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post