SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oops: I always heard "Call BEFORE you dig" multi million dollar mistake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oops: I always heard "Call BEFORE you dig" multi million dollar mistake Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
One of my co-workers makes a good living by suing companies who dig up ATT's cables. The City of Houston does it pretty frequently.

There is a statute that require them to call the hotline before they dig, but they often screw it up - don't call, don't dig in the place they ask about, all kinds of errors.
That is because Texas grants the most exemptions to One Call participation in the US.

IIRC, it's three business days for a regular mark out and during an emergency the utility is supposed to mark out within an hour. Most utility repair contractors realize an hour is pushing it a little and will wait for the mark out man to show up.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Electricity down, evacuate the area. How did we servive to this point in our evolution?

Residents are not required to evacuate, but the thousands of needy (no flashlights, no generator, etc.) tourists who flood to this area in the summer are being told to leave. There's a big difference.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
One of my co-workers makes a good living by suing companies who dig up ATT's cables. The City of Houston does it pretty frequently.

There is a statute that require them to call the hotline before they dig, but they often screw it up - don't call, don't dig in the place they ask about, all kinds of errors.
That is because Texas grants the most exemptions to One Call participation in the US.

IIRC, it's three business days for a regular mark out and during an emergency the utility is supposed to mark out within an hour. Most utility repair contractors realize an hour is pushing it a little and will wait for the mark out man to show up.
Actually it varies by state and it's 2 to 3 business days (i.e. excluding weekends and holidays) depending on the state. For example, New Jersey is 3 business days, but Texas is only 2 business days.

Emergency laws vary by state as well.

In case y'all can't tell, I've managed oil & gas projects in over a dozen states so I'm very familiar with one call laws.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at the corner of Penn and 6th in Reading, Pa one day when the city street repair crew began digging in the street pavement intersection with a powered jack hammer and struck a gas main.

I never saw municipal workers run so fast.

I was right behind them.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We have a home in Hatteras and have been following the situation closely.
Here's the latest as I understand them:

The buried cables are Three Phase (3 separate cables).
The are located approximately 9 feet underground.
One of the cables has been located and it had been cut in two by the steel sheeting that was being driven into the sand.
They are trying to determine if the other two cables are ok and what they have to do to splice the damaged one.
PCL is one of the largest privately held construction companies in North America. They are headquartered in Canada and have annual sales of about 8 Billion dollars.
The lost rental income is estimated to be in excess of 6 Million dollars a week, not counting all the additional spending the renters do...
It's a cluster...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a cluster...

Adding to the "cluster" state emergency officials sent 3 huge generators over by ferry. Problem is upon arrival they could not be used because their transformers were not compatible to the local grid, so had to wait for more generators to arrive. If they didn't work for this situation then they would not have worked for the next hurricane. When it comes to state officials, some of whom are earning the big bucks, I wonder what us NC citizens are paying for.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post