SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear on the Bike Path
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear on the Bike Path Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
It's ok, he doesn't bite.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Why did they stop so soon after the bear stopped chasing them? If I'm in that situation I'm going to keep peddling until I'm in the next state.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
And I thought it was bad when dogs chased bikes.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
The bear looked like it was going to eat the first guy until the second showed up.. But I am with you I can't believe they stopped. I would be flying.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Hard to pedal when your shorts are full

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
Why did they stop so soon after the bear stopped chasing them? If I'm in that situation I'm going to keep peddling until I'm in the next state.
800 lb brown bears can run 30 - 35 mph. Can you pedal 35 mph offroad on a mountain bike?

Also, running kicks in their natural instict of chasing prey.

People with half a brain biking off-road in bear country have bells on their bike so they don't sneak up on a bear. BTW, I lived in Anchorage, Alaska, for 5 years and approx. 60 brown bear live within the city limits.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd: 800 lb brown bears can run 30 - 35 mph. Can you pedal 35 mph offroad on a mountain bike?

Downhill and being chased by a brown bear? You bet your ass I can. Wink

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
The bear looked like it was going to eat the first guy until the second showed up.. But I am with you I can't believe they stopped. I would be flying.

Looks to me like the next switchback was down and to the right- exactly where the bear had gone. It was highballing down the hill- straight at where the trail looked to have gone.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We had a guy killed near Glacier National Park last year when he actually hit a grizzly while pedaling through the woods.

Link

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ervice-cop/98828300/

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing to fool around with.
Last summer at Glacier Park

Make noise in bear country.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:

Silent

I was there, about 2 miles from the incident, I have never seen a LEO response like that. I believe they let the bear go because it was a cub/mother natural reaction.

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the old joke, you ain't gotta go 35. You gotta go faster than the other biker.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And some people think I'm crazy for carrying a glock 29 for dirtbiking.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:

Silent

I was there, about 2 miles from the incident, I have never seen a LEO response like that. I believe they let the bear go because it was a cub/mother natural reaction.

Ummm, no. They didn't "let the bear go" my friend. They never found it that day. It was also a previously captured male g-bear about 20 years old. Please don't state incorrect facts on the matter. You never saw a response like that because Brad was a highly respected Federal Forest Service LE officer for fifteen years in that area and it was a bear attack. Brad was married to my first cousin. One of my brother in law's was with him that day. Most of my family lives right there and were out looking for him afterwards.

Brad hit the bear at such a high speed he broke both his wrists and a scapula when he landed.

There is nothing anyone can say about it. You can choose to sit at home on your couch all day, or you can get out and play in your backyard. He was riding his bike on the same trails we all explored as kids and that he rode and ran on every day. Every time I read someone talking about all the things that SHOULD have been done, I just shake my head.

http://mtpr.org/post/hundreds-...im-kalispell-funeral

#FS44

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We had a guy killed near Glacier National Park last year when he actually hit a grizzly while pedaling through the woods.

Link

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ervice-cop/98828300/

The guy was a forest cop and had no protection.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Anyone who has lived in bear country knows one thing, your back yard is not yours, it's the bear's.

A couple of decades living in AK taught me that very quickly.

What the cyclists had going for them is that the round brown furry things don't normally look at humans as food, black bears do.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
What the cyclists had going for them is that the round brown furry things don't normally look at humans as food, black bears do.

Most bear encounters result in the exact same thing you see in the posted video. The bluff charge. It has nothing to do with G-bear vs black bear.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Hard to pedal when your shorts are full

It'll dribble down your leg....keep peddling!

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post