SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remington Arms new owners will keep Remington in Ilion, NY
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Arms new owners will keep Remington in Ilion, NY Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I really like Remington and I hope the new owners can get it back on track. I'd hate to see a company as storied as Remington fail. The new owners make me optimistic.

https://www.wktv.com/content/n...rkers-572731311.html

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: REMINGTON ARMS NEW OWNERS DISCUSS FUTURE OF ILION PLANT & WORKERS

The question mark has been replaced by an exclamation point; new owners say that Remington Arms will remain in Ilion.

ILION, NY - The question mark has been replaced by an exclamation point; new owners say that Remington Arms will remain in Ilion.

"No matter what, we will keep a footprint in Ilion. That's 100%. It's the legacy of the company, so I don't see Ilion ever going away, not as long as I have anything to do with the ownership," says Managing Partner Richmond Italia. "So, definitely, we will always keep a footprint there. Question is, how big will that footprint be?"

It will be much smaller, at least to start.

"We've agreed to bring back 200 hourly employees, as we discussed earlier. Anything more than that basically comes down to our negotiations with the state," says Italia.

Roughly 700 people worked at the plant recently, including the 200-250 who worked on the Marlin line, which was bought, at auction, by Sturm, Ruger & Co. Italia says Remington Arms will be strictly an outdoor/sporting company, and will not make military weapons.

Local state lawmakers are already working on making sure Remington stays in Ilion... or close.

"I even have calls in to the governor's office today, to get the governor involved in the effort," says Senator James Seward. "Those connections are being made as we speak and those conversations will begin in earnest very very soon."

While the new owners are aware of Remington's iconic name and presence in Ilion, and are committed to preserving both, they say the Ilion plant is outdated and does not lend itself to safe, large-scale, efficient production.

"Unfortunately, the legacy building that we have in Ilion, based on four floors is just not ideal for manufactuirng in today's age," says Italia. "So, the ideal scenario is to basically find and move into maybe retrofit another building that somebody had left behind or build new."

Senator Seward is on that, as well.

"We've already started discussions in terms of alternate sites, locally, right near their current site," says the senator.

Italia says the Round Hill Group, which recently bought Remington Arms at auction, is committed not only to growing in New York State, but also to preserving the jobs of the people who work at the Ilion plant, who, he says, are the best at what they do.

"Am I open to other areas of New York? Only if they're within commuting distance of our employee base. Because the only reason we're considering New York is because of the employee base."

Both the company The United Mine Workers of America say the union isn't going anywhere.

"We don't anticipate the union leaving Remington at all," said Phil Smith, Director of Communications and Government Affairs, UMWA. "I don't want to presuppose what our position would be at bargaining, but our goal here is to make sure all of our members get back to work, back to the same jobs they were working before, back to the same pay rate they were working before."

Smith says the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation is taking over the pension plan, and members should see no change in benefits.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I love your optimism. I hope it is deserved.

Remington is gone from my hometown now (post-bankruptcy) but the Remington 1911 , 870, V3 and Model 700’s need a good home somewhere.

But I just don’t trust a real estate company to do right by Remington no matter if they are “gun guys” or not.

This is the only Remington segment that I don’t think went to the right buyer.

0:01

Posts: 4233 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the future of Remington, but IMO leaving it in NY was a bad first step.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Good luck with the future of Remington, but IMO leaving it in NY was a bad first step.

Exactly. That’s why they moved the headquarters to Huntsville some years ago...to get out of NY and away from the union...well, that and the “incentives for jobs” deal we gave them.

0:01

Posts: 4233 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there is way more to it than I realize, but it's always baffled me why some gun manufacturers stay in leftist states.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38862 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I'm sure there is way more to it than I realize, but it's always baffled me why some gun manufacturers stay in leftist states.

Because the bean counters at corporate decided it was best (cheapest) to stay where the manufacturing facilities are already set up and the skilled workers are already located, rather than moving and having to pay to rebuild and hire/train new workers.

Posts: 32656 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think their explanation that they want access to the the current employees is a sound one. Moving a plant and hiring all new employees, or moving the current ones, would be a very expensive undertaking.

Also, as far as Round Hill being a real-estate company: is it? I'm not really sure. There is a Round Hill Capitol that is definitely a real estate company. Then there is a Round Hill Group, LLC. I can't really tell if they are related, but I don't think so. Roundhill Group LLC appears to be out of Round Hill, Virginia and I don't think they are the same companies. Though Round Hill Group LLC may indeed, have real estate interests.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Two things that “may” be an issue...the union and pension liabilities.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3636 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Not to excite the obvious, Really bad idea...

Posts: 13838 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just to add a WAG, I'd bet the new owners see staying focused on shotguns as being the easiest way to get their new enterprise up and running. Whether they avoid conflicts with local government now or in the future by doing so would be sort of a bonus of that buisness plan.

I kind of wonder if they're ever going to get back into the bolt action rifle buisness. The AR-type rifle buisness is something they could let slide, but if they aren't selling bolt guns then the market could easily leave them behind in that field.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
...IMO leaving it in NY was a bad first step.

NY is toxic to any and all business. I'd argue that getting as much out of NY that they could was one of the only things they did right.

As for toxic, there's always been theory that there's 200 years of industrial mess in the ground there, and if they leave they'll have to foot the bill for cleaning it up. To what degree that is true I din't know.

Posts: 21176 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It may all be posturing too as this is the version that is being played out in the media.

The local elected officials are saying the right thing but the union is saying the wrong thing.

For all we know, they're quietly talking to people in Huntsville and surrounding areas. On top of negotiating tax breaks, they could easily form an LLC and quietly buy acreage on the outskirts.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23422 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think they should get going with smallish handguns. That’s been a big part of the rush the last years.

Posts: 6233 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I like to wax poetic about the glory days from time to time and really enjoy old buildings. However, staying in Ilion in the old buildings is about the dumbest damn thing they can do right now. Just like Colt until they moved to West Hartford, the old Ilion buildings are shit and a huge financial drain on anyone trying to retrofit modern equipment into them or keep them from collapsing. It would be nice to save them for historical sense, but without massive cash flow and governmental help, there doesn't seem to be a feasible way to stay in my mind.

I would like to see them use their capital to get right with the suppliers and to get the shotgun lines up and running with the current labor pool. That to me seems like the easiest way to get some cash flow in the current market conditions.

As far as Vista and the ammo lines, I challenge anyone here to go out to any shop in the Northeast and try to buy a box of Core-Lokt ammo in the standard North Woods deer calibers. I double dog dare ya.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
As for toxic, there's always been theory that there's 200 years of industrial mess in the ground there, and if they leave they'll have to foot the bill for cleaning it up. To what degree that is true I din't know.

Quite possible. In theory the EPA can declare somewhere a brownfield at any time. If they do so, any owner or tenant of the ground at any time can be held liable for the full cost of cleanup. That owner or tenant is then responsible for tracking down all the other owners and tenants in the history of the property and taking them to court to recover their proportional share of the costs. The question that leaves open, of course, is the effect of the bankruptcy. Not that the EPA would care, of course - as long as they get one owner or tenant they got a sucker on the hook.

Having said that, no competent adviser or land monkey working for the buyers would have allowed the buyers to buy the land unless they had done a careful examination of the ground and knew how much of an environmental liability the buyers were buying into.

The buyers could have also, of course, worked out some kind of deal with whoever was overseeing the bankruptcy as well as local government, since local governments have long played a role in brownfields clean-ups, and are used to setting up "action groups" with the EPA, state agencies and land owners to deal with the problem. Local governments are also accustomed to offering tax breaks and other assistance in order to keep local jobs viable.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Quite possible. In theory the EPA can declare somewhere a brownfield at any time. If they do so, any owner or tenant of the ground at any time can be held liable for the full cost of cleanup. That owner or tenant is then responsible for tracking down all the other owners and tenants in the history of the property and taking them to court to recover their proportional share of the costs. The question that leaves open, of course, is the effect of the bankruptcy. Not that the EPA would care, of course - as long as they get one owner or tenant they got a sucker on the hook.

Having said that, no competent adviser or land monkey working for the buyers would have allowed the buyers to buy the land unless they had done a careful examination of the ground and knew how much of an environmental liability the buyers were buying into.

The buyers could have also, of course, worked out some kind of deal with whoever was overseeing the bankruptcy as well as local government, since local governments have long played a role in brownfields clean-ups, and are used to setting up "action groups" with the EPA, state agencies and land owners to deal with the problem. Local governments are also accustomed to offering tax breaks and other assistance in order to keep local jobs viable.
I've been a part of buying oil & gas facilities from competitors. Not sure if others do it, but our standard practice is in the contract there is a discovery period of x years after the sale where 100% of the environmental findings are paid for by the previous owner.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23422 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
will they be making firearms or ppe? Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Joe Biden says that an 870 is PPE, and I'm sure that's good enough for Cuomo.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This is all an eleborate but fully legal shell game to accomplish several goals. First it relieves Remington of future legacy costs pertaining to their old union labor contract. Second it gives the 'new' Remington a state of the art manufacturing facility. And third it gives Round Hill Group a valuable piece of property to develop into something other than a broke dick out of date factory.

Posts: 7082 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
From earlier today.

I'd like to say I'm optimistic, and I'd love to see Remington made great again, but the more I learn about the Roundhill Group, the more questionable all this seems. Apparently the former CEO of Remington sits on the board of a paintball company the new buyer, Richmond Italia, owns. Time will tell, but the buyer is a capital company and they are in business to turn a profit, always buying and selling companies. Geeeez