SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question for the corn tortilla experts here.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for the corn tortilla experts here. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I had some soft corn tortillas and thought I’d toast them in the oven to turn them into crisp corn chips. Somewhere along the way those limp tortillas were transformed into something akin to galvanized flashing. What made those tortillas so hard? How do they make corn chips that are crisp, but without the toughness?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
By frying them. Not sure about time/technique.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Mexican magic, forsho

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fry them in oil in a simple skillet. Messy, but so good.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Mexican magic, forsho

You know, like...spanish fly!...guaranteed to work!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Oil and frying was what I was trying to avoid. Oh well...

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Use the tortillas for King Ranch Chicken or Tortilla Soup. Spend $20 to salvage $.50 of tortillas. LOL, the voodoo economics of the casa kablammo.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Fry them in oil in a simple skillet. Messy, but so good.
I tried that once when I was living in Alaska. It was really cold and I had salsa and tortillas but no tortilla chips. I decided not to get bundled up and go to the store so I watched a YouTube video. The verdict - I should’ve got bundled up and went to the store.

I tried again a few weeks later in case it was a fluke but it wasn’t.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Oil and frying was what I was trying to avoid. Oh well...

Got a steamer basket? Get the water boiling.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We always deep fry our tortillas, this means using quite a bit more oil than when making tacos or tostadas. My wife uses a spider that's used in Asian cooking to drop the chips and then retrieve them when done. Always salt when they just come out of the oil.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traditionally tortillas are toasted dry on comal, a flat cast iron pan. You can toast then in a frying pan, over a gas burner or on a BBQ grill too. They only take a minute or two per side.

For chips, you would need to fry them.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I got on a corn tortilla kick a few weeks ago after seeing the tacquitos thread here. While hardly an expert, I did make the corn tortillas and the tacquitos and fry some chips. I have also fried store-bought tortillas. Take them out of the oil before they turn brown. Practice the timing; tortillas are cheap. Cutting into 1/4" strips instead of triangles helps.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post