SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter (Marine) is being deployed to Afghanistan. Question...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter (Marine) is being deployed to Afghanistan. Question... Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
My daughter called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that they're sending her to Afghanistan. She's working in the supply system.

My question is; do all marines share in regular patrols, or only certain MOS's?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
She will most likely be working in her primary MOS. Is she on Lejeune or Pendleton?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Pendleton.

I was able to answer most of her questions and key her into things she should know about, but I got out in February of 2001. A lot has changed since I was in.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Email incoming.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
She's working in the supply system.

MOS 3051 or 3052?

I would not be too concerned (aside from the fact that she's in that shit hole).

REMF's typically stay in their lane and Grunts stay in theirs. Her job in invaluable though...grunts cannot go find things to do without bullets/gear/food.

Semper Fi

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been out a long time (Army) but she would generally not go on patrols because of her MOS (occupation specialty).

That said - don't kid yourself - its a dangerous deployment and there could be risks even though she has a largely admin-type job.

Any time she is required to travel outside the wire - convoy, re-supply etc - there would be an element of danger. Inside the wire the concern would be mortars, bombers and / or traitors who turn their weapons on US military.

I don't want to overly scare you - but its not like a cushy office job necessarily.

Also would depend on the actual location of her assignment - some bases are bigger, some are smaller and much more tactically focused.

I would guess she would be at a larger base. Can you find out yet?

===============================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Wherever she serves, please express my gratitude to her.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
My question is; do all marines share in regular patrols, or only certain MOS's?

Most likely not. There has to be an operational need for her to go outside the wire. If she is supply, she'll have plenty of stuff to sort out on her base or FOB. I suppose she could end up on a convoy, if needed. Otherwise, it has been my experience that minus the operational need, you really have to create a reason to get outside the wire.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't answer your question, but please thank your daughter for her service. Wishing her a safe deployment.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thank you's have been forwarded, my friends.

I use the term logistics loosely. She doesn't work in the supply warehouse. She deals a lot with motor-T and other groups and makes sure they receive the proper parts to keep various equipment running.

She, herself does not have a license to drive any vehicles, like a 5-ton or a Hummvee. In fact, she told me a funny story early on in her enlistment about looking for Humvee keys. It was right along the lines of being sent out for a stack of 6323's, 100 feet of flight line or taking the readings off the vortex generators. Smile

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Heh, yeah the only key would be to the padlock on the steering wheel cable.

She should be safe on the FOB and not patrolling. Danger is in the convoys to and from.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please thank your daughter for serving her Country.

BTW, is it possible for your Daughter to take along an Airweight S&W J frame .38spl for constant self protection?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to scare you but depending how many women are available at times they will
Pull females from other duties to share in operations outside the wire on what are called female engagement teams- we used female troops to interact with local women to try to obtain certain intel as the local women will not interact with male soldiers. This would be not typical and while inside the bases is somewhat safer you still have to be vigilant for indirect fire threats and insider attacks on base. Well wishes for a safe deployment

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
My guess is she is a MIMMS clerk or what ever they cal it now. They do all the parts tracking in the maintenance system. She will not necessarily be tasked with convoys and such but it is always the needs of the Corps. Wish her luck and be safe.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Unauthorized and non-issue weapons are not allowed in the AO. Better she just acquire an issue pistol to keep on her person at all times.

Please thank her for her service.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

And mine, too!!

God bless her and her fellow marines.

And, from family experience, tell her to trust nobody not part of the American military.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice and other things to consider. I've passed it along.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

ditto

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People in logistics usually stay at base camps.

The exception is that if she is posted at a security position or if she gets bored and volunteers to patrol. The other issue could be convoys on roads between bases.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine recommended some of the female soldiers carry small neck knives for late night latrine trips or showering. Ecos used to make decent marking knives with sheaths but I don't think there are making them now. Other manufactures make them. Some examples in the link below. If worn on neck, a breakaway chain is recommended. The idea is something small and unobtrusive that will make someone think twice.

The violin knives on this link are closest to what ECOS used to make.

linky

Please give her our thanks for her service.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post