SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    15 years ago. Hurricane Ivan.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15 years ago. Hurricane Ivan. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
There are a lot of pics but I will show you just 1. This is I-10.

54 Americans, and 127 total died from this one. I saw thick I beams twisted like a pretzel.

I was evacuated from my house close to the water. I stayed at my dad’s house about 20 miles north. We had winds in excess of 80 mph for 14 hours. They peaked unofficially at 138 sustained at the mill down the road before the gauge broke.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I was 120 miles inland near the MS/AL line at the time. The eye passed within 30 miles of us, and we had sustained winds of 60mph for about 4 hours. We had a few gusts in the 80mph range. Trees down everywhere. We were without power for 3 days.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
This is the hurricane which tore up the Fort Pickens Campground near Pensacola? I'm thinking of visiting next month; hoping it is not overrun.

How did Pensacola itself fare? Is it built on substantial land? I recall a hilly area.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember. Evacuated to Tennessee. No damage here when we returned two days later. Did not even lose power.

We got it next year in 2005 with Katrina. Both Hwy 90 bridges out for two years. I can relate believe me.

Posts: 17354 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Crazy Ivan".
Lived in Navarre.

Without power for a week.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44044 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question. Do any of you that live in Florida ever regret moving there because of the hurricanes that hit Florida? Are the pluses of living there greater than the negatives?

Posts: 5762 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^
Where do you live?

Posts: 17354 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago

Posts: 5762 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Florida was fine until everyone moved there. When Orlando was a town of 50,000.......

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1092 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chicago

Thanks. My hometown is Chicago. Grew up in the city. I live on the Coast about ten miles from the beach. Being at ground zero of the worst disaster to hit the United States, it was very unpleasant for a long time afterwards. I have been here since 1978 having previously lived in Wisconsin, TN, Texas and Indiana.

I do not miss snow, ice, and the high crime. I enjoy the climate, the laidback lifestyle, the people, but not hurricanes. I would live in the Florida panhandle, but never in the rest of Florida.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Question. Do any of you that live in Florida ever regret moving there because of the hurricanes that hit Florida? Are the pluses of living there greater than the negatives?

Basically no. I was born and raised here, moved away for a bit and came back. I have been in a few direct hits, and a bunch more nearby. Ivan was the only one that rattled me. I’m 51. If I had been hit by 4 or 5 ivans, maybe.

I was without power for 2 weeks but all of our family is here close by so you get by with teamwork.

I remember I-10 was closed both ways, Hwy 98 was gone both ways, and Hwy 29 was closed. We were isolated for about 3 days. If you didn’t prepare, you were in trouble. There were lines for weeks at schools where they were giving out MREs.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Meant to add, this is the first hurricane that I knew people that died. Maybe that’s why it’s a big deal to me.

A friend, her husband and her mother were trying to ride it out in Grande Lagoon Subdivision. Their house basically came apart around them and they tried to escape. They came out and lost track of the mother. She died.

I also know the family in this Video, the Lacours.
Storm stories

TCB all the time...

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the Panhandle off and on since 1973.

Nearly a dozen major hurricanes and tropical storms.

No, and Hell yeah!

(But not to be dismissive of those who suffer loss. To those who lose folks, my utmost sympathy to them.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44044 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regret living here no. Was born in Fort Lauderdale in 1976, been here my entire life except for 6 months. Lost power for 21 days after Wilma in 2005. Lost power for 14 days after Irma......You just prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21339 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
We had to wait for Ivan to pass before we buried my mother at the Florida National Cemitary in Dunellon. She passed 15 years ago on 9/11.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived across the road, Gulf Beach highway, from Grande Lagoon. Nobody remembers Ivan because 9 months later Katrina hit. Ivan was the real deal. We didn’t have power for weeks, people died, everybody near me took damage, we would go up to the middle school and get bags of ice and MRE’s from the Guard. It sucked.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
No regrets, the Panhandle is great! Pluses? Freedom, low cost of living, beaches, sun, water, short winter.

I grew up in southern WI and have plenty of relatives in Chi-town - visited there monthly my entire childhood; my parents & brother still live in the burbs.

No way you could get me to live there and we only visit every 5-10 years.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I lived across the road, Gulf Beach highway, from Grande Lagoon. Nobody remembers Ivan because 9 months later Katrina hit. Ivan was the real deal. We didn’t have power for weeks, people died, everybody near me took damage, we would go up to the middle school and get bags of ice and MRE’s from the Guard. It sucked.

I drove through Dec 2004 on my way to Tampa from Kommiefornia. Stayed the night with family in Cantonment.

It still looked like a war zone three months later.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I was living in Jacksonville at the time. My ship had visited Pensacola in March of 2004, and it was devastating to see the damage when I drove through on my way to San Diego in January 2005. I'm a Panhandle native, and would live there now if I could, despite the hurricanes.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 989 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I drove through Dec 2004 on my way to Tampa from Kommiefornia.

Looks like we were trading places! I did 2 tours in San Diego during my career. I liked it fine, but definitely would not want to live there now.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 989 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post