SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Security Clearance (Clarence) Question for Those Living in Recreational MJ States
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security Clearance (Clarence) Question for Those Living in Recreational MJ States Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I suppose if it were pared down to the issue of being “under the influence”, any compound could arguably be considered psychotropic. And you you bring up a valid point about the cannabis derivatives- they exist and are effective in various treatments. Since they lack the euphoria inducing effects of THC, I wouldn’t have an issue with my afore mentioned position being altered.

But returning to marijuana, I have seen WAY too many folks too stoned to function in basic tasks, exhibiting a clear reduced mental state. Even if legalized, there are just some things people using marijuana should be limited from doing. If getting high is someone’s priority, I wouldn’t want them handling top secret information, personally.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gearhounds,

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I personally think that the legalization camp is driving the medical propaganda wagon on it. . .

. . . I think this whole movement is based on "wants" and not facts.
Yes, when asked about efficacy and safety data, the pro-legalization crowd has nothing to offer. Just anecdotes, and no peer reviewed scientific data. The pro-legalization crowed also cant address real questions about dosing control, and the dangerous use of pesticides/herbicides, due to the lack of any meaningful regulation in the "medical" marijuana industry. The reality is "medical" marijuana has been, and is, a red herring for those wanting to use marijuana for recreation.

Those who want to legalize marijuana for recreational use should simply admit that is their goal, rather than lying about "medical" marijuana.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reality is "medical" marijuana has been, and is, a red herring for those wanting to use marijuana for recreation.

My brother is in the business here in Colorado, growing and operating a rec facility. It was medicinal before rec was legal.
I can say with 100% certainty that your assertion is not entirely true. There are many people who have ailments for which marijuana helps.

Now that CBD oil and other derivatives have become more viable, those seeking relief from injury, ailment, etc have in large part gone this route. The obvious reason being they don't get high, but get the relief.

That said, yes, when med is the only option, people are going to take advantage for rec use. But it's unfair to say there is no legitimate med use. At the end of the day, people are having better results with mmj products as opposed to narcotics for example.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

But returning to marijuana alcohol, I have seen WAY too many folks too stoned drunk to function in basic tasks, exhibiting a clear reduced mental state. Even if legalized, While legal, there are just some things people using marijuana alcohol should be limited from doing. If getting high drunk is someone’s priority, I wouldn’t want them handling top secret information, personally.

see what I did there?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
The SF86 form and back ground check is very extensive and intrusive and if you want a career I would not mess with it even in Colorado where it's legal.Just stay off it or over zealous use of alcohol until your done, it's not worth it.

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:

But returning to marijuana alcohol, I have seen WAY too many folks too stoned drunk to function in basic tasks, exhibiting a clear reduced mental state. Even if legalized, While legal, there are just some things people using marijuana alcohol should be limited from doing. If getting high drunk is someone’s priority, I wouldn’t want them handling top secret information, personally.

see what I did there?

I see what you did there and I agree with you.

There needs to be consistency for all forms of "substances" when it comes to having those special clearances. There is so much at stake and it seems like almost anyone can get it and keep it forever.

For such a special privilege and high paying credential as national security clearance, it's ok to have higher expectations for those positions.

I get your comparison and you make a great point!

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
. . . and often the recruiters themselves fill out the SF-86 and don't list anything derogatory.
The recruit signs, certifying the contents of the SF-86/EPSQ are true and correct. If the recruit does not read the form, and insist on any errors/omissions being corrected, the recruit is both foolish AND dishonest. Even at age 18, it's not too much to expect them to be honest, both in their answers, and in certifying the form is true and correct.

I've talked to recruits who never even saw the SF-86. I'm a background investigator.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

see what I did there?
Nailed it!

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
. . . and often the recruiters themselves fill out the SF-86 and don't list anything derogatory.
The recruit signs, certifying the contents of the SF-86/EPSQ are true and correct. If the recruit does not read the form, and insist on any errors/omissions being corrected, the recruit is both foolish AND dishonest. Even at age 18, it's not too much to expect them to be honest, both in their answers, and in certifying the form is true and correct.

I've talked to recruits who never even saw the SF-86. I'm a background investigator.
Never saw it? Then how.did they sign it? Even if only shown the signature page, they are foolish and dishonest for.signing a document saying something is true and correct, when they haven't insisted on reviewing it for accuracy. Recruiters doing this are wrong, but it doesn't absolve the recruit of their own culpability.

BTW, I've also done SSBIs, as an additional duty at my first Fed LE agency, and I have zero sympathy for those lying when certifying the SF-86/EPSQ as true and correct.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
quote:

see what I did there?
Nailed it!

Does anyone really think it matters when it boils down to the substance? An alcoholic that shows up to work is no more entitled to a top secret clearance than some stoner. The difference is, a drunk gives off a huge “fucked up” signature, where someone smoking weed may not. I still say regardless of what legalization becomes, agencies should still be able to keep it as a disqualifier despite people’s hurt feelings on the subject.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never saw it? Then how.did they sign it? Even if only shown the signature page,

This only seems to happen with military recruits as the Recruiter creates the EQUIP Form from the military questionnaire the recruits fill out. The Recruiters have been doing this for years; they create an electronic signature without notifying the recruit. This is why there is a specific program geared toward Recruiter falsification.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

see what I did there?
Nailed it!

No missed it completely.

If you get falling down drunk at a bachelor party on saturday, the alcohol will be out of your body by monday when you go to work.
Can the same be said for weed? No. It can take weeks. So on monday you are still "under the influence"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PeteF,

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Never saw it? Then how.did they sign it? Even if only shown the signature page, they are foolish and dishonest for.signing a document saying something is true and correct, when they haven't insisted on reviewing it for accuracy. Recruiters doing this are wrong, but it doesn't absolve the recruit of their own culpability.

BTW, I've also done SSBIs, as an additional duty at my first Fed LE agency, and I have zero sympathy for those lying when certifying the SF-86/EPSQ as true and correct.

They aren't certifying it, the recruiter is (that's the whole point of what I was saying). I've had recruits tell me they provided the recruiter with the information over the phone and the recruiter submits the form. It's called recruiter falsification and I wouldn't say it's common but I get about 2 or 3 cases a year. It creates a lot more paperwork but I don't think the military really does anything about it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Isn't this a catch 22 when the Federal Government does all it can to stymie research on medical uses of MJ and it's derivatives? I would like to see proper scientific research.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I personally think that the legalization camp is driving the medical propaganda wagon on it. . .

. . . I think this whole movement is based on "wants" and not facts.
Yes, when asked about efficacy and safety data, the pro-legalization crowd has nothing to offer. Just anecdotes, and no peer reviewed scientific data. The pro-legalization crowed also cant address real questions about dosing control, and the dangerous use of pesticides/herbicides, due to the lack of any meaningful regulation in the "medical" marijuana industry. The reality is "medical" marijuana has been, and is, a red herring for those wanting to use marijuana for recreation.

Those who want to legalize marijuana for recreational use should simply admit that is their goal, rather than lying about "medical" marijuana.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose if it were pared down to the issue of being “under the influence”, any compound could arguably be considered psychotropic. And you you bring up a valid point about the cannabis derivatives- they exist and are effective in various treatments. Since they lack the euphoria inducing effects of THC, I wouldn’t have an issue with my afore mentioned position being altered.

But returning to marijuana, I have seen WAY too many folks too stoned to function in basic tasks, exhibiting a clear reduced mental state. Even if legalized, there are just some things people using marijuana should be limited from doing. If getting high is someone’s priority, I wouldn’t want them handling top secret information, personally.

For what it's worth, I completely agree. I've been a police officer for 15 years, have focused on impaired driving enforcement for most of that, and have been a certified drug recognition expert (I evaluate suspected drug impaired drivers) for six of them. I have conducted just shy of 400 (39X) evaluations and would estimate that the better part of 300 of those included or were solely cannabis-related, including several crashes.

I think the American public is being sold a bill of goods on the so called benefits and lack of risks involved in legalization, decriminalization, medical use, etc. of marijuana. I think it's a message that is being carried on the backs of some legitimately very ill people. Without getting on the soapbox too much, just look at how pervasive weed culture is in Hollywood and Nashville.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Isn't this a catch 22 when the Federal Government does all it can to stymie research on medical uses of MJ and it's derivatives? I would like to see proper scientific research.

Some of that is occurring now in legal weed states. Quite a bit of it has occurred in medical marijuana states as well. I can only speak with any authority on the impaired driving front, but there is good data coming out of Colorado right now. None of it has been "good" news, though. And that doesn't touch on the other end of the scientific "benefits" of legalization: increased potency. Between substantially refined, genetically engineered growing practices to super high THC content edibles, they are seeing some really bizarre and frightening results.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

see what I did there?
Nailed it!

Nobody should be drunk or high at work regardless of classified info handling. If someone had a drink the night before or even were drunk as hell, then as long as they can function and aren’t legally drunk then who cares. They aren’t at risk of handling classified info. They aren’t going to send a document to the Russians because they like to drink more than the next guy. Having a problem with drugs and alcohol poses other risks of leaks and mishandling of classified info.

I think the problem with MJ is the perception people have of that “culture” more than MJ alone.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
People need to just get over it. Marijuana is not bad. Alcohol is much, much worse. So are many other substances. If you abuse something to the point where it effects your job, then you’ll be discovered rather quickly.

If you think otherwise, you’re misinformed. I don’t give a shit what you do in your spare time as long as you can do your job.

As someone on this forum once said, “times are a changing”. People who have negative views on marijuana are usually brainwashed to think so and have very little to zero marijuana knowledge.

If someone takes a few hits of weed to sleep, who the fuck cares. Better than taking Ambien or Xanax.

Good, talented people are losing, or not getting jobs because they smoked weed. It’s absolutely silly.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t give a shit what you do in your spare time as long as you can do your job

I have never known someone that smoked weed that did it in anything approaching moderation. Additionally, someone smokes weed 15 minutes before work, they might be high for a couple of hours, perhaps longer with todays super-cannabis.

And again, if someone smoked weed in the past, and is honest about it, there is a strong possibility they won't be denied jobs or clearances. But as I said, if doing drugs is a lifestyle choice people want to make, then let then do other jobs. There are scads of other people that don't that you won't have to worry about.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I know plenty of professionals who smoke weed and or drink in moderation.

I know more who drink to excess and damage their bodies with alcohol though.

Seriously, if you’re smoking that much weed, or abusing any substance to the point where it affects other aspects of your life, you’ll be found out. Same for food, exercise, and video games. (Yes, I realize they are “legal”, but they can affect job performance).

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post