SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    visualizing two centuries of US immigration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

visualizing two centuries of US immigration Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
very cool graphic - would be better if it also totaled by country.

http://metrocosm.com/us-immigration-history-map.html

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Friggin' Canucks.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

damned Mexicans Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I think I've seen that before but thanks for posting it. I forwarded it to my dad who always finds that stuff interesting.

I couldn't help but notice not too many French emigrating here compared to some other nations.

It'd be interesting to see other countries compared to the US.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
it was interesting to watch the year marker during the Irish migration and then massive Chinese and Mexican migrations

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I visualized bodies catapulted in and it was a much more entertaining and satisfying visual.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Interesting that it stopped at 2013.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Sooo, since I'm mainly Scottish and Norwegian, with a little French and Irish mixed in (so I was told), that doesn't make me part of the problem ("problem" haha), does it?

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My eight Great Grandparent invaders came from/approx year
Denmark/1850s
Denmark.1860s both to Utah

Germany/1870s
Germany/1870s both to Minn.

Germany/1870s into NY, Ill.
Swiss-German/Colonial times into NY

?/Colonial thru TN, PA, VA, Iowa, Coach Johnny Majors is in this tree
Irish/1500-1700s North, Eckerly trees and others

Those Irish I think were really the Brit invaders....as my DNA shows 49% Brit, 36% Scandanavian, 10% East Europe, only 2% Irish.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
You're probably right. Until 1922 Ireland was part of the British empire, and after that, until 1948, was called The Free State or even, erroneously, Éire.

If MY dad had emigrated to the USA he would have bee, registered at Ellis Island - if they had been doing their job right - as British[Irish], having been born in Cork, Ireland, in 1904.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHyLKnf0ts

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My paternal Grandfather was born here 1912, his parents were German.

Paternal Grandmother born in Russia or Poland 1914 or 1915 (Not 100% sure of which).

Maternal Grandfather born in Montreal 1915 on the way from Germany to US.

Maternal Grandmother born in Germany/Austria (Not 100% sure of which) 1918.

All came before 1920. They are all deceased, I wish they provided more info before they passed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I didn't know all those people were coming to Topeka.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post