SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Snowmaggidon"...March 11-12...25 years ago...anybody on the East coast remember...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Snowmaggidon"...March 11-12...25 years ago...anybody on the East coast remember... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
...we had about 36" here in SE TN...the drift on the south side of my house was about 5'...we were only without power for part of a day...many areas around here were powerless for over a week...

It was a mess...locally roofs collapsed, trees down...anyone with a 4WD was asked to volunteer their time and vehicle to carry meds to and check on folks. My wife had a full size QuadraTrac Jeep Cherokee and delivered oxygen to those that needed it (I was still on crutches and 90 day non weight bearing restrictions from a hip replacement) so it fell to her...

IIRC...we had snow on the ground in places in the shade till April...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...Storm_of_the_Century

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I do. Was in Ooltewah at the time, neighbor called at o-dark-thirty to tell me my power was out and I should start a fire and move more firewood closer in the thunder snow.

I think we were out about 10 days. Hike a couple miles just after it stopped to a convenience store for some baby food for our 9 month old (yeah, we were ill-prepared!), picked up beer as well as that seemed like a thing.

Had the den blocked off with blankets over doorways and a constant fire for a week until it warmed up some. What a mess.

When you lose water, that's when you really start to appreciate the finer things in life.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nope, don't think Middle TN got very much of that. I do however remember the ice storms of February 1994 and December 1998.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I was in Brunswick GA in my last academy week at FLETC; it snowed like crazy, blew like crazy, and finished up with some fairly violent thunderstorms. I missed the snow.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I definitely remember that. We got 8-inches or so at our house north of Atlanta, but the wind whipping around the house caused a 4-foot tall drift and knocked down a 20-plus inch diameter pine tree next to the corner of our garage.

The neighbor kids came over the next day and asked if they could sled down our driveway, the steepest in our cul-de-sac. I borrowed one of the sleds and put my older daughter on it. She was a little over 2-1/2 at the time and a bit frightened. The sled got about half way down the driveway with me running alongside (and starting to fall behind) when it flipped over. Covered in snow and crying, she went back in the house, deciding that snow wasn’t her thing!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Sure do! Several cruisers were abandoned in the snow. We were all ordered back to the station and camped out there until the NG came in with 4WD vehicles. Some of us were taken us to the local motel and the rest went on calls with the NG unit.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Funny, I actually do remember that! It was the same year my sister was born. We only had 10" of snow or so but it lasted a week, which is very rare for NC.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember it well, although it is called "the No Name Storm" or "Storm of the Century" down here in Florida. My grandparents had 38 inches of water in their house, which had not flooded in the previous 50 years. They lost everything and never went back. My uncle only had 18 inches in the downstairs of his two story house but lost both cars which were parked outside. I was pretty bad.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember it well! My brother and I actually came back early to Virginia Tech from spring break week due to the forecast. It started snowing Friday night around 5pm and didn't stop until Monday night. Drifts over 20'!

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the blizzard of 78 in Ohio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...eat_Blizzard_of_1978

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
When I posted this thread earlier today, it was snowing sideways (OK...maybe just a few minutes of snow, but it was heavy)...now, the wind is still blowing pretty good, almost 50 degrees, not hardly a cloud in the sky and my neighbor across the street is mowing his lawn...funny what a difference a quarter century makes Big Grin (it pretty much puts our life on this wondorous rock in perspective...and I really do mean that...it's just a speck in time).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I do. I was in middle school at the time and my friends and I trudged out onto a neighboring golf course in our snow suits and sleds. Suddenly one kid just disappeared altogether. He had fallen into a sand trap hidden under all that snow and his head was like 2 feet under the level of the snow.

We also were jumping into the open foundations of construction sites...probably not the greatest idea.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
I was in Knoxville for the police exam. Drove 10 miles down the interstate into downtown in my Mitsubishi 3000gt with awd. Must have been 12”+ snow and that car glided right through it. Saw lots of stuck pickups and suv’s. Exam was canceled, of course and I drove all the way back.

Got stuck in the hotel entrance. Nice. Spent the next 2 days in my room, hungry as hell.

Posts: 540 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I remember it well.I was 13 y/o.

My friends and I used our suburban recycling bin as a mold to create bricks. Made an igloo that was 2 bricks high, 5 wide, and 8 long. It resembled more of a Nazi bunker on the beaches of Normandy than anything else. We lined the floor with space blankets, and the roof with 4' X 8' sheets of plywood. We slept out in it as many nights as our mothers would allow.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I remember it very well. Worked out of Robbinsville,NC on a storm crew during that mess. We had 36 inches of snow with 60 inch drifts in places. Several people were evacuated by military helicopters. The National Gaurd helped us by clearing roads so we could get gear in. Crews worked 24/7 to get power restored to the area. My favorite memory is the people living in those mountains. They were so friendly when we made it up their side of the hill to restore their power. It was definitely the worst winter storm I have experienced in NC.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember it well in north Ga. over a week without power. Neighbor had a kerosene stove and many new bestest friends. Had to walk down off the hill we lived on to meet ride to work (was essential personnel) Numerous warehouses and carpet companies had roofs collapse including Sams club in Chattanooga TN.
18 inches at our house on level ground.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I remember that one well.

Not all of the memories are pleasant.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I was a cadet at West Point trying to go on leave for spring break and to see my fiancée. I got snowed in and was actually housed with a marine from quantico that took me in...same neighborhood as fiancée. So it wasn’t all bad

But we never made it to Florida (where we were supposed to go)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Yep. Birmingham got hammered and the comedy club burned down.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was living in North Adams and we got so much snow we couldn't get up the hill on Rte 2, it was almost 2 weeks before the road was opened to Adams and you couldn't get to Albany on the highway..it really sucked

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post