SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Childhood misconceptions?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Childhood misconceptions? Login/Join 
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, I guess this will make me sound like an idjit, but... Big Grin

I recall that I became confused and somehow I got the idea in my head that everybody's birthday was on January 1st. Everyone has a birthday every year, and every January 1st, it's a new year, ergo...

Told ya Big Grin

Oh, and when I was about 6 or 7 I asked my mother where babies came from. I knew that women became pregnant, but I didn't understand the process. My mother gave what I think was an appropriate answer for a child of that age. She said that when a man and woman meet and fall in love, they get married. Once they're married, the woman becomes pregnant and nine months later, voila!
So, I thought about this for a time and concluded that there was some automatic process that took place in a woman's body that caused her to become pregnant- asexual reproduction. OK, got it. A few days later, I'm with my mom standing in line at a grocery store checkout and I turned around to see this gal, ready to give birth at any moment- full term. I thought to myself "Hey, she fell in love and got married!", so I waggled my finger at her and said "I know what you've been doing!"

Big Grin

My dear old mom rang little Para's bell.

My mother told me the same thing.

I came to the same conclusion you did.

Posts: 609 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the first words I could spell was"book"...

You know, an arrangement of flowers...

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:This is what a gasometer looks like. They were removed a decade or so ago.

That, Sir, is in the UK.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
we had a thread on this quite a while back, but I got the lyrics wrong on many rock songs, like "Taking care of sisters", instead of "taking care of business" by Bachman turner overdrive.

That's call a 'Lady Mondegreen'

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I thought putting on turn signals actually turned the car.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I knew that women became pregnant, but I didn't understand the process.

I can remember knowing what you did during sex, but having no idea why you'd do that. Big Grin

My best friend lived across the street and was two years younger than me. At one point he kept talking a lot about Maxi-pads! Just because it was something he heard on the tv. Even as a little kid I could see it was making his mom uneasy. So I took him aside and told him to stop saying it, I explained what they were and why it was upsetting her. "You know how boys have a thing and girls have a hole? Well that's a cover that goes over it to keep things from going in." Big Grin See, I obviously had a much greater grasp on female anatomy and menstruation that he did. lmao

I guess in retrospect I wasn't wrong. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
When I was a very young lad, I thought that when you turned the TV off, whatever you were watching would stop and you could come back and pick up where you left off.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Shoot. I remember one Thanksgiving coming home from college for the day. I must have been around twenty I guess, but I walked in the kitchen and watched my mom making gravy. I was amazed and asked her .."what are you doing"? She looked at me kind of strange and said she was making gravy for dinner.

Swear to god, I always thought it just came with the meat. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My older cousins convinced me that there used to be lots of different races of aliens here like the cantina on Star Wars but they all left long ago. They told me that the big power line towers were remnants of old rocket launch platforms they used when they left.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I thought everyone lived to be 100.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
not a misconception, just me being an idiot, buuut I was a freshman in freakin high school before I saw the "what's black, white, and read all over" joke written down. I didn't understand it 'til I saw it written as read instead of red.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two:

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
My older brother had my younger brother convinced that the huge round bales of hay in the fields were cow eggs. He told him when they hatched, the field would be full of cows. Sure enough, they were a few weeks later. I played along with the ruse....

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 651 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in second grade, I wasn't aware of the grand daddy of all cuss words when I saw it written on a bathroom stall. I remember on kid in the class saying something about it being a bad word, but I didn't believe him and I was apparently super proud of my ability to read so I proceeded to drop F-bombs all over the boys bathroom like it was no big deal (which to be fair, at that moment it wasn't a big deal to me). I was overheard by the teacher and quickly marched to the principals office for some re-education. Needless to say, my parents don't cuss much.

I thought that you only got married when you wanted to have a baby and that women magically got pregnant during the kiss at the wedding.

I thought everything costs a bajillion dollars and my parents were the smartest and wealthiest people ever (Dad was a school administrator and Mom stayed at home, but we had a boat so we must be super rich, right?)

And the saddest of all: I thought that steak was crappy food (thanks a lot, Dad). I actually thought this until I started dating a girl at sixteen that showed me that you don't have to cook steak into shoe leather to eat it. I was so grateful for her wisdom that I married her five years later.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I remember in school, even through high school, when I'd see someone at lunch eating a cheese sandwich, it bothered me. I didn't know that was something people did. So I always felt really bad, they must be really poor, they can't afford any meat.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
As a third grader I was beginning to learn about swear words. I came home from school one day and repeated this poem to my mother:

I went to the dam to get some dam water.
I asked the dam man if I could have some dam water.
The dam man said I couldn't have any dam water,
So I told the dam man he could keep his dam water.

Needless to say, after a trip to the bathroom with the Ivory, I had discovered a new swear word and what homonyms are.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
When we were growing up we went to a church that sang a worship hymn that went "It's finished, it's finished, Jesus paid it all, at Calvary, at Calvary!"

For some reason I thought everyone was singing "It's spinach, it's spinach, Jesus paid it all, at Calvary, at Calvary!"

I recall thinking to myself, "what the HECK does Jesus have to do with spinach!" Big Grin

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a 5 or so we went to the mall in Columbus, OH for Christmas shopping. I saw the Salvation Army lady at store entrance in the parking garage. For some reason I didn't know what the Salvation Army was or were doing, but I did know that a prostitute stood on corners trying to get mens attention for some reason.

So I rolled down the car window and as we drove past I leaned out and yelled "Look it's a prostitute!". Razz Everyone looked our way and my dad punched down that accelerator. Parked on a different level.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My mother told me that thunder was God moving his furniture. I believed her

My brother and his friend told me that repeating words they were whispering in my ear was cooler than cool. My mom heard me outside the kitchen window saying every cuss word in the book. First and last time with a bar of soap in my mouth

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Thought that if you didn't have the cash for what you wanted to buy you could just write a check for it.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post