SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Childhood misconceptions?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Childhood misconceptions? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I was driving earlier this evening, saw a sign and thought of it. Is there anything you thought or believed as a child, that you look back at today and laugh?

When I was a little kid, I knew what these signs meant.

They were always right in front of stores, right by the door. Being the smart child that I was, I deduced this was where you parked if you just had to go in and use the bathroom. Big Grin

I mean, why else would there be a picture of a guy sitting on a toilet? Smile

Great minds think alike. My little brother and I thought the same thing!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
When I was about 5, I walked across the street as the neighbors were loading up camper for a trip. I think I asked them about an ice chest for beer or something. They said they don't drink.

I thought that was quite odd, and out of ordinary.

I went on for quite some time, perhaps a few years, thinking that some people just didn't drink.

Anything.

And I thought, how could that be?

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 651 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My Aunt told me a story of two American Indians who were banished from their tribe, by their father, the chief.

After awhile, the chief regretted his decision, so he asked that signs be posted looking for his children, Falling Rock and Running Deer. One sign said "Look Out For Falling Rock", and the other said "Beware of Running Deer".

I'm pretty sure I believed that until I was about 25.

Im

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I didn't understand the difference between a shell, a load, and a cartridge, and I damn sure didn't understand how they worked.

I was amazed one day watching dad shoot clays and how something came out the end - obviously - because the bird got dusted, but then the shell came out the side too?

Did you have to waste one to shoot one or what? Just couldn't figure out how if you shot the gun, there was something left after the boom.

Kid logic, I guess.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I used to think that married couples (parents excluded) had sex every night. Sigh, I really miss that one not being true. Frown

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Marshmallows were made from toilet paper - that's why they burn when you roast them over the fire.

I was 9 before I realized I had TWO sets of grandparents.

I saw an avalanche movie, and asked why the bad guy was so mad. Parents told me because he was 'fired.' I thought they toasted him with a flame thrower. No wonder he wanted to kill everybody. . . Eek

I thought movies were real, in that when a character died, the actor died in real life.

I wasn't very bright. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in grade school (80's) my mom had me in the pharmacy and I must have been near the condom rack (not behind the counter!). I remember seeing the package which advertised something akin to "for a greater feeling of love" or some such. Being quite inquisitive, I loudly asked mom how medicine could make someone feel more in love. I don't recall her answer, but I'm sure she was mortified!

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I didn't understand the difference between a shell, a load, and a cartridge, and I damn sure didn't understand how they worked.

I was amazed one day watching dad shoot clays and how something came out the end - obviously - because the bird got dusted, but then the shell came out the side too?

Did you have to waste one to shoot one or what? Just couldn't figure out how if you shot the gun, there was something left after the boom.

Kid logic, I guess.

I was listening to my scoutmaster who was an Army lifer and Guardsman talkin about shooting at the rifle range, and asked how many shots were in a "round"

Our campsite for regular campouts was right next to a rifle range. I'd go dig bullets from the berms.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Marshmallows were made from toilet paper - that's why they burn when you roast them over the fire.

I was 9 before I realized I had TWO sets of grandparents.
Oh, good. I don't feel so bad now. Big Grin

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
At around 5 or so I recall asking my mother how old girls had to be before they could pee out their butts.

I knew girls didn't have tallywhackers, and my mom and sister always sat down to pee. Plus, we lived on a farm and chickens peed and pooped out of the same spot... Made sense to me Confused

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am blessed (and cursed) with remarkable recall and remember my mother taking me to the bowling alley and leaving me in something similar to a "Baby carrier".

I would stare at the overhead projector they used to display the score sheets and I thought that there were people in a room upstairs writing and it was shadows on the screen like shadow puppets.

The other thing was about that same time-frame, laying in a shopping cart and looking up at the concentric vents and hearing music and thinking it was coming form those vents. (It was Big Band muzak)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was only about 3 years old when the Korean War broke out, and I could have sworn that our troops were commanded by some guy named "Macgenical Arthur."

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Mine was like Para's. I was at an older cousin's wedding. I was thinking, well of course there's a God, because after this couple gets married, they'll get to have a baby.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing this sign on the side of the road and marvelling that my pop was ignoring it again and again.

I'm guessing that I was about 5 at the time.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I always heard my grandparents talking about "colored people" and sure looked forward to the day I'd see blue, green, purple, red, etc folks. I was disappointed when Grandmommy finally showed me a colored person when I was around five. They were regular Negros!

Same with the "gas war" Dad and Grandpa always talked about. I figured people were using flamethrowers on each other somewhere in the area. Seemed very exciting.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Well, let's see. I remember that as a kid I had always heard "Throw caution to the wind" as "throw caush into the wind." I knew what the phrase meant, but it took me a long time to figure out what the hell caush was.

Also, I remember spending the night at my friend's house, and his family had a routine where they would go down to the donut store on Saturday morning and get donut holes for breakfast. I had never heard of donut holes and thought his family was teasing me. I was like, "They're holes? So, you're going to be serving an empty plate? It's a joke, right?" and they were all, "No, donut holes! What's the matter with you?" I couldn't grasp what they were talking about.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
I had a young lady that worked for me. Her birthday was on the 4th of July and she believed that they shot fireworks on the 4th because it was her birthday. She didn't find out otherwise until she was 8 years old.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 765 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
As a kid, playing cops and robbers, there was the term "cover me" that was used by all the cowboys and cops etc. on TV. The only thing I could figure this meant was to shoot a continuous stream of bullets around the person I was "covering" so the bad guy bullets couldn't get through and hit the good guy.

And finally, for many years of my young life, I thought they were saying "The LONG Ranger" because I had never heard the word "lone" before.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I was probably around 10 years old and my parents put me on a plane (by myself) at Oakland to go visit my grandparents in Portland, Oregon. They drove up the next week with my brother and sister.

As we were flying I was SURE the pilot had gotten lost. There was way too much snow (clouds !) below the plane, we must be in Alaska.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my kid was a toddler, I taught him to feed peanuts to the chipmunks that lived in our yard.
The toddler pronunciation of chipmunk became:
"Chickmunk".
Last time he visited me, he saw I had a fine crop of Yooper chipmunks. And he called them "chickmunks".
Took me right back to days gone by!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post