SIGforum
Childhood misconceptions?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3920046134

October 12, 2017, 01:15 PM
SBrooks
Childhood misconceptions?
I didn't like the crusty edges of a well fried egg and would cut them off.

My brother eventually tells me that (just like they help hold the egg together around the edges) this crunchy part of the fried egg is what hold my insides together - and if I don't eat it, my insides/organs would start coming apart.

Consequently I made sure to eat every scrap of every egg ever given to me.

------------------
SBrooks
October 12, 2017, 01:17 PM
flashguy
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
As a third grader I was beginning to learn about swear words. I came home from school one day and repeated this poem to my mother:

I went to the dam to get some dam water.
I asked the dam man if I could have some dam water.
The dam man said I couldn't have any dam water,
So I told the dam man he could keep his dam water.

Needless to say, after a trip to the bathroom with the Ivory, I had discovered a new swear word and what homonyms are.
I tell people "I was by a dam site born in a dam hospital" and I don't curse at all. The "hospital" was the temporary 2-bed dispensary at Bartlett Dam NE of Phoenix, Arizona that was where minor injuries of the workmen building the dam were treated. I was premature and mom couldn't get to the main hospital in Scottsdale to give birth. When the dam was complete, the dispensary and housing were dismantled.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
October 12, 2017, 03:33 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
Thought that if you didn't have the cash for what you wanted to buy you could just write a check for it.

Michael

I got a daughter that STILL thinks that... Confused

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
October 12, 2017, 09:11 PM
KevinCW
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Thanks to a somewhat mischievous older female cousin, I was convinced that the windmills on the farms in Kansas were big fans to keep the cows cool.

That is hilarious. I can picture it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
October 13, 2017, 08:48 AM
Delmag Tech
My mother has always been a very careful driver. I've never seen her behind the wheel without her hands at 10 & 2.

At about age 5, I was convinced that the tighter she squeezed the wheel, the faster the car went.
October 13, 2017, 11:24 AM
HKg3
When I was just starting school at age 4 - 5, I truly believed that you could not say something that was not true on TV or in ads. I also believed that the government was honest and truly cared about its citizens. Boy was I naive!

I was a firm believer in law and order because my dad was a state trooper.

This innocence was crushed as grew up and learned how the world really functioned, but it was a happy ignorance at the time.

Best regards,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin
October 13, 2017, 11:39 AM
64dodge
A short time after I entered the awareness phase of my young life, I spent some time scrutinizing my father's car. I convinced myself that the only possible method of propulsion that could make it move down the road was the blast of exhaust coming from the tailpipe. Imagine my surprise when I found out later on what was really happening under the hood of that beast.