SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I sold a sportbike and will soon pick up my first adventure bike (BMW GS)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I sold a sportbike and will soon pick up my first adventure bike (BMW GS) Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Trapper189,

This is a really good write up on the BMW GS series adventure bike, it’s history, design, racing history and impact it had on the BMW brand. Some people say if it were not for the GS BMW Motorrad might not be around today.

Link to article on history of the BMW GS

Coming from a dirtbike and ATV background before getting into street bikes I can see why people would be concerned taking a GS offroad. It’s not going to handle like a full on dirtbike so I am eager to see how this R1150GS does off road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adventure bikes are great. As a former owner of several GS's and one Paris Dakar (all airheads) I hope you will get as much fun quotient out of yours as I had from mine. Those things can gobble highway miles comfortably and still do okay within the limits of their bulk on fire roads etc. No they are not good for motocross type terrain but hold their own very well when the going gets rough. The Beamers are pretty much bulletproof with the exception of the rear ujoints but if your mechanic is at all familiar with the marque he is aware of that and has checked it out. I have not ridden for a number of years so this may well be a thing of the past. By the way my last two adventure bikes were Moto Guzzi Quotas. Somewhat lighter and with the definite Italian flair that MG puts on a bike. Best of luck to you in your travels and ride safe!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
Here is a video I made several years ago at the BMW Falling Leaf Rally in Potosi Missouri. It takes place every October. Usually have pretty nice weather with wonderful roads.

Please note the camera is attached to the right side of my helmet which makes it look like I’m riding the center line. Ends with me pulling the into the rally site and you can see all of the tents.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7AYCxgUTIWk

Attended that rally for a number of years 1998-2004. There are some great roads around there.

Then you watched them do the anvil blast. Two anvils, peanut butter, and black powder. Boom! Would shoot the top anvil at least 100 feet in the air.

Yep. Pretty cool.
Had some really good times around the campfires there.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Any known issues or things to look out for? The R1150GS appears to have a fairly stout engine and this one seems to have been well maintained.

It has 53,000 miles but I’ve read that these things can handle a ton of miles.

The 2001 GS has single spark plugs and can ping and knock and may exhibit a surging issue if you let it get too far out of tune. The stock shocks don't have a lot of fans, but that's just a parts swap. The big issue with any BMW bike is the final drive. On an 18 year old bike you're probably out of the painful break in phase, and if it hasn't broke then it's probably good to go.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How good is the factory exhaust? I listened to a R1150 GS on YouTube with a cat delete and slip on exhaust and it sounded really good. I probably want to keep it quiet for a while though since my R1 is loud enough to be heard from a few blocks away.

I’ll probabky change the tires to something more knobby and off road capable yet still street legal. Maybe add a skid plate and more protective bits because I do plan on taking it on trails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
How good is the factory exhaust? I listened to a R1150 GS on YouTube with a cat delete and slip on exhaust and it sounded really good. I probably want to keep it quiet for a while though since my R1 is loud enough to be heard from a few blocks away.

I’ll probabky change the tires to something more knobby and off road capable yet still street legal. Maybe add a skid plate and more protective bits because I do plan on taking it on trails.

I left the stock exhaust on my GS because I just didn't want to spend the money. The M in BMW stands for 'more'. Everything Beemer is expensive. That being said Akrapovic seems to be the flavor of the day for aftermarket pipes right now. Whatever you choose you will probably shave 30# off your GVW and loose the angry sewing machine sound.

I took an off road course last year and was told to get Conti TKC 80's or don't show up. I put about 2k miles of road wear on them and decided to go back to a street tire. There was nothing wrong with the TIC 80 in the wet or dry, or at rather spirited highway speeds. I just don't get the chance to go off road very much so I bought a second of wheels so I could swap tires when I wan to.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Well there's a catalytic converter built in and it's pretty quiet, but generally it flows pretty well and there's little to be gained (power wise) by going with a different exhaust.

2010+ R1200's have a much throatier sound.

I've seen some put knobbies on them which'll help immensely in mud and sand, at the expense of poorer handling on road (especially wet) and vaporizing in 2,000 miles. Sounds like you want something with more aggressive tread but I ran Continental TKC 70's on my 2014 GSA and liked them enough they're now on my Africa Twin. Not knobby enough for mud but good on dirt and gravel roads and even mild trails as long as they're dry. They're awesome on pavement and last over 6,000 miles.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't know why anyone would want a louder exhaust on a touring bike. Assuming you plan to spend hours on long slab rides, that noise will get annoying. Loud cans are good for sport bikes and weekend toys. But they're not fun on long rides. I always wear earplugs anyway due to windscreen buffeting.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in a exhaust and cat change as a way to shave some weight mainly. If it did help performance a little that would be cool too. Most of the new slip on exhausts have baffle inserts that help with sound right?

The prices are pretty insane. A very good slip on for the GS costs more than I expected. Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the GS but if you're going to make a significant change to the exhaust ie headers and free flowing mufflers/systems then you will lean out the fuel mix, if it's EFI you'll want some kind of tuning device to compensate for the change.

At that point a K&N filter is warranted to take advantage of the better breathing capacity of the engine. You should see a pretty decent gain from these basic tuning tricks.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see one of those I think Alcan highway.

That's a great model bike and one you should enjoy for a long time.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This thing has a funky design. It’s neat that they used the engine itself as part of the frame.

I took the R1 out today and concluded it just isn’t a very good bike for chill rides in the country....the dang thing likes to do one thing.

It looks like it’s going to be 3-4 weeks until I’ll be out to the 757 to pick up big bird. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
posted Hide Post
For tires, check out the Mitas E-07

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If any of you are considering an Adventure bike tour of the UP, keep in mind we are one big beach.
Sand is often 8 or more inches deep on our two tracks. This does make for adventure if you are on a heavy bike like a GS
And the ride Rick Lee made to Crisp Point is worth the trip!

I'll be sure to hit Crisp Point next time I'm there in the U.P. I was nearby when riding west from Whitefish Point on my last ride there on a GSA.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
This thing has a funky design. It’s neat that they used the engine itself as part of the frame.....

Front suspension is pretty unique and it really works well. Nice having full suspension travel while hard on the brake.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I FINALLY got to pick up the big yellow BMW. It is surprisingly nimble for such a big, heavy bike. At the price I paid it’s definitely a fixer upper but I think it will be a great bike after the cosmetic issues are fixed. This bike feels waaaay different from the sport bikes I’m used to.

I almost left with a wrecked CBR600RR too. My friend always has a few interesting project bikes he is trying to sell. I probably shouldn’t get the CBR but it would make a great stunt bike and it has a title. Hmmm. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
I FINALLY got to pick up the big yellow BMW. It is surprisingly nimble for such a big, heavy bike. At the price I paid it’s definitely a fixer upper but I think it will be a great bike after the cosmetic issues are fixed. This bike feels waaaay different from the sport bikes I’m used to.

I almost left with a wrecked CBR600RR too. My friend always has a few interesting project bikes he is trying to sell. I probably shouldn’t get the CBR but it would make a great stunt bike and it has a title. Hmmm. Big Grin

Fix & flip. apply profit to next bike...

I've got an 01 Indian Scout in my garage for the summer, storing it for my father-in-law until they move here from CA. Much different riding experience than the sportier bikes & enduros I've ridden before.
Will likely be adding his Victory Cross Country to the garage as well before they move here.

Would love to add 2 BMWs as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It took months of dealing with low ball offers before I found a legit buyer for my SV650. I think I am going to list the GS for sale as soon as I get it street legal. I should be able to enjoy it a bit before it sells.

Going by what similar BMW GS bikes have been selling for in my area I should be able to make $2k on this bike. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
It took months of dealing with low ball offers before I found a legit buyer for my SV650. I think I am going to list the GS for sale as soon as I get it street legal. I should be able to enjoy it a bit before it sells.

Going by what similar BMW GS bikes have been selling for in my area I should be able to make $2k on this bike. Cool

Do go easy on the clutch as it's a dry unit and a real pain in the ass to replace.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new ride! Cool

If you're going to be riding off road, I'd highly recommend a training course to see how to handle these big bikes. BMW actually has some in partnership with Rawhyde Adventures or there may be something closer.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtlw5nwWLr8

Then, maybe with a lot of practice, you can ride like this:

Link: https://youtu.be/5ogC5Ky77LA?t=38

This was a promotional shoot when the KTM 1190 Adventure was released. Chris Birch is basically a god among men when it comes to riding dirt bikes.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post