SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I sold a sportbike and will soon pick up my first adventure bike (BMW GS)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I sold a sportbike and will soon pick up my first adventure bike (BMW GS) Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
The GS series bikes are amazing.

I took one up the new dempster highway this past summer.

I also broke my ankle on that trip, but the fact that it was just an ankle and not worse was in large part to the computerized capabilities of the modern GS bike. I loved every second of owning a GS, and I will buy another. After they get their new engine and wheel spokes figured out...

Here's a picture of my daughter on one of our local trips last summer before I headed out to Tuktoyatuk, NWT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a video I made several years ago at the BMW Falling Leaf Rally in Potosi Missouri. It takes place every October. Usually have pretty nice weather with wonderful roads.

Please note the camera is attached to the right side of my helmet which makes it look like I’m riding the center line. Ends with me pulling the into the rally site and you can see all of the tents.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7AYCxgUTIWk

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mas4363,

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Nice find, Stick!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Here's my first GS at Big Sur.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Ridewv, good eye. Yes, it does come with Hepco & Becker hard saddlebags and lots of extra odds ends.

What kind of MPGs do you get? How is the range? It’s gotta be better than the awful 25 mpg I am getting from the R1.

Glad it came with bags that's a nice set up. It's been a while since I had that bike but I seldom recall it getting below 40 mpg and even then maybe 37-38, and that would be at high speed into a headwind. I think typically 40-44, mpg and it holds what..... 6 gallons?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Any known issues or things to look out for? The R1150GS appears to have a fairly stout engine and this one seems to have been well maintained.

It has 53,000 miles but I’ve read that these things can handle a ton of miles.

It should hopefully be a good allrounder and excellent road trip bike. I was hoping to get a more focused offroad capable dual sport and the GS is a bit heavy but it should keep me happy for a while. For as little as I paid I could likely enjoy it for a year or two while I fix it up a bit cosmetically and then sell it and make money. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once moving, the bike feels lighter.

The valves are easy to set. Look on line, there is a ton of information. BMWMOA.org site is your bible.

The 2019 BMW MOA rally is in Tennessee. Usually 7000+ attendees. Every vendor that has anything to do with BMW motorcycles. I used to go every year until I had some health issues. Will worth going to. A ton of people camp. I finally start staying at KOA in one of their camping cabins. Air conditioned and has a lock. Alot more comfortable the using a tent and cheaper than a hotel. Also there is always wonderful day trips from the rally site. A GPS is your friend.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Any known issues or things to look out for?.....

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/show...re-what-to-watch-for

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stickman428:
Any known issues or things to look out for? The R1150GS appears to have a fairly stout engine and this one seems to have been well maintained.

It has 53,000 miles but I’ve read that these things can handle a ton of miles.

It should hopefully be a good allrounder and excellent road trip bike. I was hoping to get a more focused offroad capable dual sport and the GS is a bit heavy but it should keep me happy for a while. For as little as I paid I could likely enjoy it for a year or two while I fix it up a bit cosmetically and then sell it and make money. Big Grin[/QUOTE
When I had my 97 final drives were supposed to be suspect.
Never had an issue with mine. Mine had an issue where the carbon overflow canister got saturated with gas and then didn’t vent properly. Caused the tank to suck in creating dents. BMW replaced it under warranty as it was emissions related.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Wow....I had no idea you spent time in VaB. I've followed your pics on M4C and insta...VaB is my hometown.

I wanted a GS forever, since seeing them and Honda TransAlps in Patagonia on a trip I took back in 2001-2002. A friend convinced me to get its little brother, the F650 as a first bike so I ended up finding a mint 1997 F650 (which itself is still a big bike, 34" standover).

I love the boxer air-cooled BMW twins. Iconic. Congrats on the purchase!

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just realized I’m less than 2 hours from Virginia International Raceway. Big Grin. I might take the GS on a road/camp trip to VIR to watch the MotoAmerica race May 4th and 5th. Camping, paddock and pit access and preferred seating for $150. It’s quite tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you anything about the camping, but as a guy who has raced motorcycles just about everywhere VIR is my favorite track. And spectating motorcycle racing there is spectacular. And May is the time to be there. go...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Serious question, what does an adventure motorcycle do?

Two summers ago on the way back from Crisp Point Lighthouse in the U.P. I came across two people on adventure motorcycles that seemed to be stuck in the sand in the road leading to the lighthouse. With the bike's weight and street tires the riders looked to be having an adventure.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Serious question, what does an adventure motorcycle do?

Two summers ago on the way back from Crisp Point Lighthouse in the U.P. I came across two people on adventure motorcycles that seemed to be stuck in the sand in the road leading to the lighthouse. With the bike's weight and street tires the riders looked to be having an adventure.

With the BMW GS line, the Adventures have a much larger gas tank, usually around nine gallons, so that provides some range when you're far from civilization. If you're not running knobbies, then you need to air down when you go off road. BMW GSAs are pretty big bikes. They tend to get lighter with each new generation, but, if you drop it with a full tank and loaded down with gear, you're gonna have some fun getting it upright again.

Lucky for me, this bike was a non-Adventure version and I could easily pick it up. That sand was as fine as corn starch.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
Harley Davidson is coming out with a dual sport. Looks very harley-ish.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Nice bike I always loved the GS never had a chance to get one, enjoy the back roads!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nine gallons of gas. I can see how that would be good.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any of you are considering an Adventure bike tour of the UP, keep in mind we are one big beach.
Sand is often 8 or more inches deep on our two tracks. This does make for adventure if you are on a heavy bike like a GS
And the ride Rick Lee made to Crisp Point is worth the trip!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
Here is a video I made several years ago at the BMW Falling Leaf Rally in Potosi Missouri. It takes place every October. Usually have pretty nice weather with wonderful roads.

Please note the camera is attached to the right side of my helmet which makes it look like I’m riding the center line. Ends with me pulling the into the rally site and you can see all of the tents.

Attended that rally for a number of years 1998-2004. There are some great roads around there.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:

Attended that rally for a number of years 1998-2004. There are some great roads around there.

Then you watched them do the anvil blast. Two anvils, peanut butter, and black powder. Boom! Would shoot the top anvil at least 100 feet in the air.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973