SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I sold a sportbike and will soon pick up my first adventure bike (BMW GS)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I sold a sportbike and will soon pick up my first adventure bike (BMW GS) Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
There is a saying about boating, the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell it. I don’t think the same can be said for motorcycles. Selling my candy copper SV650S was NOT fun. I put less than 200 miles on it last year and ever since acquiring and rebuilding a wrecked first gen Yamaha R1 the Suzuki has been basically collecting dust.

Feeling the urge to acquire yesterday I contacted a friend that is a BMW mechanic in Virginia who likes to fix up bikes. I was picking his brain on Yamaha cafe racer project I had found locally and was considering buying. It didn’t take long for the conversation to get very interesting. “Wouldn’t you rather buy this BMW R 1150 GS that I have?” He said. He had just finished doing a bunch of maintenance on it and other than some cosmetic stuff it looked good. It also has a full service history.

After a little wheeling and dealing we struck a deal. Next time I’m in the 757 (Hampton roads) I’ll be bringing home a bright yellow 2001 BMW R1150GS. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Always loved the GS. Enjoy it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Great project!

How tall are you?

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Great bike. You'll have a ton of fun on that ride.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice, not my first color choice, but hard to go wrong with a BMW. Some (most) of the GS bikes are tough to flat foot, they're so tall (and I'm 6'0").

I've had my eye on a certain blue K75S for years, timing & budget just haven't cooperated.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Looks familiar.....

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m almost hobbit size. 5-9 and 155 lbs. It should carry its weight low because of that engine right?

I sat on a new GS last year at a dealership and it didn’t feel too tall. The DR650 and XR650 are the only two bikes I’ve sat on and felt like it was too tall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Next time I’m in the 757 (Hampton roads) I’ll be bringing home a bright yellow 2001 BMW R1150GS. Cool

Congratulations!

Is that the same bike that Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman took around the world?

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(K,Na)(Fe+++,Al,Mg)2
(Si,Al)4 O10(OH)2
Picture of Munch
posted Hide Post
Congrats! The ADV bug bit me last year. I got in on a much smaller scale though. I picked up a Royal Enfield Himalayan late last fall. So far it has been a blast. Enjoy it man!

Posts: 859 | Location: north central Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The GS is a wonderful bike. I had one like yours and also a 1200 GS Adventure. Actually both were adventures. I’m 6’4” and the adventure fits me. I did several 900 mile days on the GSA.

You can outride most sport bikes in the twisties. The bars give you a lot of leverage to throw the bike into the curves.

The best thing I did to the GSA was put a set of Ohlins on it. Completed transformed the ride and handling.

Loved the GSA. Unfortunately I no longer have a motorcle. I had bad knee that would go out without any warning. I had it replaced last September and am still in the recovery phase.

I will be 70 this year and don’t plan on getting another bike.

Having said that, I was at a BMW ralley once and the oldest rider was 92 and rode in with his wife on the back, who was in her late 80’s. I also met a woman at another ralley that was in her 80’s and rode solo to the ralley.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m almost hobbit size. 5-9 and 155 lbs. It should carry its weight low because of that engine right?

I sat on a new GS last year at a dealership and it didn’t feel too tall. The DR650 and XR650 are the only two bikes I’ve sat on and felt like it was too tall.

Not nearly as tall as those two. Have had two among a bunch of bikes. My favorite all around bike. My 97 I put a set of ohlins shocks on. That thing was like riding on rails. Took it to Keith Codes Superbike school and was passing sport bikes.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Definitely taller and heavier than a DR650 but you shouldn't have a problem. I have 32" inseam and rode the bike you are getting with seat in the high position, heck my previous R1200 GSA's seat was 36-37". My friend is 5'-8" and rode a 2004 GS1150 for well over 100,000 miles, he did keep his seat in the low setting.
I wouldn't say it carries its weight low because of the engine because the heaviest part of the engine is the crank which is actually relatively high on a boxer.

R1150GS is a nice handling, comfortable, motorcycle that does a lot well. It handles curvy roads almost like a sport bike, does well on dirt/gravel roads, and with its tall gearing is in its element running 80 mph across country.

I see some kind of mounts are there bags on the one you're getting?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bike! I've always been intrigued by BMW bikes, ever since I saw my Lt. on his brand new silver bike back in Germany in the late 80's.
Thing looked like a rocket with a muffler.

Assuming (bike idjit here) that these aren't as tall as the R1200GS? They seem to be billed for taller riders?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I really like the GS. Not sure if this a valid comparison, but rode an SV650S as well. A 2002 then a 2004 until 2013. Only have room for one bike. Switched to a 2013 DL650. Definitely ride more and take different trips then I used to. Hope you find the same results with the GS.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree OP. Selling a motorcycle is not a happy day for me.

I had been trying to sell a V65 Magna in great shape and low miles for over a year.

Out of the blue, a guy I knew wanted to deal for it. We did and I was very happy with the deal as he was. But still I miss the bike and wish I would have ridden it more. I still have the Goldwing, but there are days when the body just cannot handle the big Wing.

I would like to ride the BMW you are getting, think it would be fun.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Congrats! So you sold one sportbike... That leaves you with only 37 sportbikes left in your paddock. True? Smile

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the fine folks who brought you WWII! Welcome to the club!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ridewv, good eye. Yes, it does come with Hepco & Becker hard saddlebags and lots of extra odds ends.

What kind of MPGs do you get? How is the range? It’s gotta be better than the awful 25 mpg I am getting from the R1.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
GS bikes and boxer bikes always get my blood going.

Nice bike, be safe Cool

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tall heavy bikes are just fine, once they are moving.

It is when shorter people have to come to a stop on uneven, slanted, slippery surfaces, and can only get a toe down right next to the bike …

… and with luggage and a passenger? Frown

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post