SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple credit card? How does it actually work?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple credit card? How does it actually work? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have read some about the new Apple credit card. It looks and sounds ok but my wife and I cannot figure how it should work when, say, making online purchases. With no card number or CCV, how would you pay?

Does anyone have any insight? Any info is appreciated!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is if you are using it to purchase something online you have to go through the Apple Pay app on your iPhone which has all the card info stored. There is also a physical card for in person purchases.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It works like Apple Pay. A new unique transaction number for every purchase is created... by your Apple device I believe. Very very secure... they say.

https://www.apple.com/apple-ca...film-purchase-online

They have more vids about other aspects.

I do not have one... yet. I MAY get it. Reviews rate it as just mid range on features like interest rates and reward payments. It pays rewards out daily and list them by transaction. Seems the the draw is the tight integration all things apple.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I do not have one... yet. I MAY get it.

Same here.

quote:
Seems the the draw is the tight integration all things apple.

That's usually quite a big part of the draw with anything Apple.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I also wonder what happens if you lose the physical card? I guess just cancel it like any other card.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If you lose your card, you simply unpair it from your Wallet. Afterward, you order a new one.

Here's a good video from Marques Brownlee describing the card::
https://youtu.be/lj7kFBz-jw4

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I took the plunge - to clear up a couple of your questions that I had too...

There is no number on the card - it has your name and a chip, therefore if you lose your card there is nothing for a thief to get from it, it's worthless to them.

If you want to use it online you have 2 options - option 1 is if the retailer has an Apple pay option you just use the wallet app from your device and it's done. Option 2 if the retailer is not Apple Pay enabled - get your card number and CCV by going to the wallet app and selecting your card and hit the 'card information' button. You can copy and paste your card number and CCV code from there to use in any site that accepts credit cards. This option would be the only way a thief could ever get your number or commit fraud - that's why it's so secure.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

There is no number on the card - it has your name and a chip, therefore if you lose your card there is nothing for a thief to get from it, it's worthless to them.

If you want to use it online you have 2 options - option 1 is if the retailer has an Apple pay option you just use the wallet app from your device and it's done. Option 2 if the retailer is not Apple Pay enabled - get your card number and CCV by going to the wallet app and selecting your card and hit the 'card information' button. You can copy and paste your card number and CCV code from there to use in any site that accepts credit cards. This option would be the only way a thief could ever get your number or commit fraud - that's why it's so secure.
If a thief has physical possession of the card, won't it work for her in a terminal with a chip reader?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If a thief has physical possession of the card, won't it work for her in a terminal with a chip reader?

Yes, that would appear to work as well. If they used it at a terminal and signed the name from the card that should work. From what I gather Apple does not require a PIN. So if lost it should be unlinked from the wallet, reported and then standard fraud protection kicks in like other credit cards.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Using the physical card is a non-starter, for me, as it only pays 1% cash back. I got one just to see what a card made of titanium sounded like when you drop it. Smile If you do need or want to use it, the actual card number and CCV number are revealed inside the Wallet app on your iPhone, or just stick it in a POS terminal. I used mine once, just to verify it works as a chip card, and it does. I stick to my Visa, which gives better cash back, for online purchases or at POS terminals that do not accept Apple Pay.

You can apply for and get an Apple Card to add to your Apple Pay wallet. You don't get the physical card automatically, only if you ask for it. The Apple Card in your Wallet app pays 3% on Apple purchases and 2% on all other Apple Pay purchases. You get this cash back whenever you use Apple Pay, either at a POS terminal or online (more and more websites are offering the Apple Pay option).

You can also get an Apple Cash card via the wallet. That is a debit card, and again a non-starter for me. If you have the Apple Cash card, the cash back from your Apple Card is automatically and instantly credited to Apple Cash. Otherwise, cash back from the Apple Card applies as a credit on your monthly statement. Apple Cash can also be used for sending/receiving money with friends or whoever. But it's a debit card, and I won't have one of those.

Note to those with frozen credit. You need to unfreeze TransUnion (for just a day or two) to apply for the Apple Card.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, but you can lock the physical card via the Wallet App. Of course, that means you'll need to unlock it any time you want to use it. Frown

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Yep, but you can lock the physical card via the Wallet App. Of course, that means you'll need to unlock it any time you want to use it. Frown

From Apple: Bolded text by me fo emphasis.

Every time you buy something, you get an instant notification. So you’ll be the first to know if something doesn’t seem right. You’ll also be notified of any unusual activity. Don’t recognize a charge? Just tap to let us know. That’s it. We’ll take it from there, and you won’t be liable for any fraudulent charges.

Still have a question? There’s no need to call. And wait on hold. And listen to elevator music. You can get an answer 24/7 by texting.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm thinkin' about it. Having had two cards compromised by compromised POS terminals (Target and Home Depot), I like the security, but I don't know as we feel like keeping track of another card.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, the additional level of security is what I like.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems the the draw is the tight integration all things apple.
And therein lies what I believe to be the real core purpose of this new card...to maintain an even tighter grip on Apple customers. From iTunes, to many other Apple specific applications and functionality, Apple's goal is to tie customers tightly to their ecosystem making it harder and harder to ever separate from them and their products.

If you're a died in the wool Apple consumer, and can't ever see yourself being anything other than that, than this card is likely no big deal for you. For everyone else, they should think long and hard about whether they want to follow Apple down that rabbit hole.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have had an app on my phone that handles my debit card like this. I can turn it on/off, adjust maximum limits, etc. It alerts me every time there's a charge in real time.

MobiMoney

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And therein lies what I believe to be the real core purpose of this new card...to maintain an even tighter grip on Apple customers.

Except Apple does not lock you in to their card, exclusively. My AmEx, and bank Visa and MC, are all in my Apple Wallet.

quote:
From iTunes,

iTunes is essentially dead & gone. (I am annoyed Apple gives me no way to play my music on my phone, though.)

quote:
Apple's goal is to tie customers tightly to their ecosystem making it harder and harder to ever separate from them and their products.

And that differs from Google/Alphabet how? Or Samsung, which also has their own payment system?

quote:
If you're a died in the wool Apple consumer, and can't ever see yourself being anything other than that, ...

I guess I'm a died in the wool Apple consumer, then--until and unless something better comes along. Android is straight out. Microsoft was never a contender. Blackberry became an also-ran.

I went ahead this morning and got the card. The security advantages were simply too compelling not to do so.

Got a crappy interest rate, though. 18% Frown. Given our nearly perfect credit score I am somewhat disappointed. I mean to pay the balance off, in full, at the end of each month, anyway, but still...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Anybody got an Apple watch and get this card to work on it? The ol' "Apple just works" is failing for me in getting my Apple card to register on my Apple watch.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Except Apple does not lock you in to their card, exclusively. My AmEx, and bank Visa and MC, are all in my Apple Wallet.
Not the point. Many younger Apple customers will end up with this card being their first and perhaps only card. This will make it more difficult for someone, should they be so inclined, to depart the Apple ecosystem. This is just one more layer for Apple to tie their customers to them.
quote:
iTunes is essentially dead & gone. (I am annoyed Apple gives me no way to play my music on my phone, though.)
My point was that Apple specifically designed and used iTunes to tie their customers tightly to them. iTunes was a closed platform and made moving your music to another platform a royal PITA.
quote:
And that differs from Google/Alphabet how? Or Samsung, which also has their own payment system?
Does Google or Samsung offer an exclusive rewards CC to only their customers? I don't personally know of any. My Android Pay is tied to my Citi CC, which as you noted above, is easily mobile between platforms.

quote:
I guess I'm a died in the wool Apple consumer, then--until and unless something better comes along. Android is straight out. Microsoft was never a contender. Blackberry became an also-ran.
I'm not suggesting you or anyone else should leave Apple or jump platforms. My point was that this CC is just one more way for Apple to try and tie their customers to their ecosystem. And you're right, for anyone with a good credit score, 18% interest is absurd. However, that high interest rate should serve Apple well in taking more cash off a majority of their customers, even if they aren't upgrading their phones.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Story today about NOT storing the card in a leather wallet or against another credit card - you might discolor it permanently..

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/...arning-discoloration

https://www.macrumors.com/2019...eaning-instructions/

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post