SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watch the first Gorsuch Senate hearing. It's on now
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watch the first Gorsuch Senate hearing. It's on now Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
These hearings will just be political theater in which Senators try to score points with the voters, and where Gorsuch tries to provide answers without substance that sound like they have substance.

If you want to watch them for entertainment value, enjoy. Or, watch them if you want to nod sagely when the Senators on your side make points and be outraged when the other Senators say things. But don't expect to learn anything, and don't expect anyone to be convinced.

These roles have to be played out, and then the majority will win. Gorsuch will be confirmed, even if the cloture rules have to be changed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
These hearings will just be political theater in which Senators try to score points with the voters, and where Gorsuch tries to provide answers without substance that sound like they have substance.

If you want to watch them for entertainment value, enjoy. Or, watch them if you want to nod sagely when the Senators on your side make points and be outraged when the other Senators say things. But don't expect to learn anything, and don't expect anyone to be convinced.

These roles have to be played out, and then the majority will win. Gorsuch will be confirmed, even if the cloture rules have to be changed.
Excellent post and spot on. I'll pass on these worthless losers grandstanding for their own ego and potential re-election votes.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, is this basically like the grown-up lawyer version of getting called on by your law-school professor?

He plays verbal "hide the ball," but whether you find it or not doesn't matter because there's an entirely different final that you have to take that has nothing to do with your in-class answers?

I've watched part of John Robert's confirmation hearing and wondered what would happen if someone just called the whole game out for what it is: "Cut to the chase, let's meet at the bar and I'll tell you some stories over a cold one."

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the dems are taking their last gasps at being relevant over the next few years

let them play their games - we are taking notes

hopefully there will be some serious retribution for them when the dust settles

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The judicial nominees, quite rightly, don't want to commit to any position on a hypothetical case. They shouldn't.

And the Senators are bound and determined to try to get them to commit.

So you get this weird dance.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
The judicial nominees, quite rightly, don't want to commit to any position on a hypothetical case. They shouldn't.

And the Senators are bound and determined to try to get them to commit.

So you get this weird dance.
Kinda. Normally I would agree with your assertion this is just the regular "weird dance", but I think its more this time around. The Dem's have been decimated, and only their most ardent (read that as lunatic fringe) supporters aren't destroyed and wandering in a haze. The Gorsuch headings are a last ditch effort on the part of some of these Dem politicos to gin up any part of their base they can, and try to carve out some little spot of relevance from which to operate for the next four years. If the Repub's weren't so utterly worthless and infinitely cowardly, I'd say the Dem's would have little chance accomplishing what they're attempting. But Repub's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory has me concerned.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post