SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maryville Tennessee area for retirement?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maryville Tennessee area for retirement? Login/Join 
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
We just got back from a random visit in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. At the airport rental car counter, the lady asked for two ID's. All I had was my drivers license. She said if I had a "gun permit" that would work! Starting to look for a job close to but not in Knoxsville. Cool

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful part of the country with very nice people and as you have noted no income tax, excellent financial condition, great healthcare, outstanding gun and carry laws, moderate weather compared to what you are used to - doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. We have lived about 30 miles north of Knoxville for the past 10 years - tons of retirees and people from up north with vacation homes on the lake where we live. My wife grew up just south of Chicago and she is a true Southern girl now Smile

We will soon be residents of VA - southwest VA due to a couldn't refuse job offer, but love TN and will definitely miss it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
You are going to want to get familiar with this place:

http://realpages.com/sites/bra...welryguns/page2.html

If they do not have it, they will order it and the price is (or was) $25 over their costs.

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks again fellow forum members for the information and experiences, very helpful and encouraging.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Absolutely beautiful part of the country with very nice people and as you have noted no income tax, excellent financial condition, great healthcare, outstanding gun and carry laws, moderate weather compared to what you are used to - doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. We have lived about 30 miles north of Knoxville for the past 10 years - tons of retirees and people from up north with vacation homes on the lake where we live. My wife grew up just south of Chicago and she is a true Southern girl now Smile

We will soon be residents of VA - southwest VA due to a couldn't refuse job offer, but love TN and will definitely miss it.

Wow, thanks for that info on your decade in Tennessee. Good luck on your move to VA!

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for Maryville, but Tennessee in general is a pretty good state to live. We lived there for a little over 5 years (Nashville area) and really enjoyed it and I'd have no problem living there again.

As to winter drivers, I think it's a combination of road bed construction, lack of snow removal equipment and the little practice Tennesseans get with such driving. You just don't get 'driving-stupid' because you'r south of the MD line.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
We will soon be residents of VA - southwest VA

Welcome in advance, neighbor! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13491 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife and I own three and a half acres on the side of a mountain in Johnson County Tennessee. It is in the very north east tip of the state between Boon North Carolina and Johnson city Tennessee.
My in laws moved there several years ago and while we were visiting one year we decided to buy some land for retirement some day.
We currently live in Florida where there is no state income tax and property taxes are low just like in Tennessee.
The big difference is the area if beautiful, we love the mountains, it's a slower pace in life and NO TRAFFIC on the roads in the area we own our land.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
All of east TN has views like you showed in the picture (for the most part). We have lived just west of Knoxville for 25 years and love it. Maryville (I agree with whoever said pronounced Mare-Vuhl) is good. Anywhere outside of the city of Knoxville is decent. City folks tend towards liberal just like everywhere else, but the suburbs are strongly conservative.

Lots of good healthcare in Knoxville and restaurants galore. Plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do in E TN. Usually we have a decent amount of all 4 seasons although spring and fall are my favorites (and summer lasted a little too long this year - cut into my fall a little bit).

Only thing to warn you about (learned this because a friend at church just moved from Chicago): Our soil isn't like yours - you can't just easily dig a hole for a shrub or tree. Lots of rock and clay. Hard.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have an acquaintance that builds homes in the Maryville area. He just finished a spec house last month. Email me if you want contact info.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yes and yes!

I lived in Knoxville 6 years and have always said if someone offered me same job as I have but there, I'd better be running to the car to get in before my wife leaves me to head back.

We loved it there, and that area is on the short list for retirement for us.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
... folks do not drive well in the snow.

No disrespect, ZSMICHAEL, but I grew up living on both sides of the Mason-Dixon and this kind of comment always cracks me up.

Most people up north cannot drive on snow and ice either, but their roads are kept fairly clear so they rarely have to do that. Road clearing equipment south of the Mason-Dixon is rare because most of it would rust and fall apart before it ever received a full use.

There are some good snow/ice drivers on both sides, but they are rare and even they have their limits.

You want drivers who can't handle snow? Try Dallas....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post