SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where are the blue jays (the bird)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where are the blue jays (the bird)? Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted
Today as I was filling my bird feeders I got to thinking about the fact that I haven't seen a blue jay since last fall. These birds usually stick around through the winter and were constant visitors to my bird feeders, but now they have become conspicuous by their absence.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Since the west nile virus went through our area, we've had very few, but see them on occasion.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we have a half dozen of them here, in fact I filled their feeder
https://www.duncraft.com/Wreat...suq8qbYaAsDaEALw_wcB

two days ago,

its a great feeder but 6 Jays will empty it in 5 hours. and peanuts can be on the pricy side.

its kinda fun to hang it in the middle of a 90 foot wire and watch the squirrels , flip , flop and scurry , upside down to get to the peanuts

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Still here in Maryland.

We have one hanging out near our feeders and grabbing whatever the finches drop from the ground, mostly.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have them here in north Texas. Usually two or three at a time.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Hardly any in my area, south central Virginia.

Did not see any at my feeders all winter.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get 6 or 7 hitting my squirrel feeder for peanuts and oiled sunflower seeds. It's funny when the woodpecker comes and the jays scatter.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
None here in Carolina this year. More Cardinals however, than the Vatican Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The Jays and the Crows seem to be coming back in the DC area after West Nile almost wiped out populations a few years ago. I noticed the impact on the crows more than the jays, but that's because there are so many more of them.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Seeing several in Louisville area.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have 3 coming to my feeders every day or so

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
My wife maintains a feeder and we've seen one or two blue jays here in central-eastern NC. What we haven't seen for a number of years until this year were mourning doves. There used to be quite a few around and then they disappeared, like all the insects. I can count on one had the number of bees I've seen in the last two years and we have quite a few flowers around. A couple of mourning doves are back but the insects are not.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two. They have a long running dispute with my cat. None of them will comment on it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
They are here (more than in past years) in a battle with the Brown Thrashers (more than in the past years)...who battle with the Mocking Birds (my money is on the Mocking Birds...if they were the size of hawks, we would have to kill them all for mankind to survive Big Grin)...I have reached an agreement with the Mocking Birds, I no longer approach the tree they nest in...they no longer flog me Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Blue Jay #11

We have plenty in Iowa.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've got a red-wing black bird in my feeder as I type, but get the occasional Jay waiting his turn.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
chuckwall, if that is a bird picture that you took , you need to post additional bird pic's over in the gallery section , Please

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
chuckwall, if that is a bird picture that you took , you need to post additional bird pic's over in the gallery section , Please

Amen!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are the blue jays (the bird)?

Go squirrel hunting. The rude, noisy little bastards will find you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post