SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dad’s rifle fires, injuring 2 sons on deer hunting opening day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dad’s rifle fires, injuring 2 sons on deer hunting opening day Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
Is it just me, or does the title and the story make it sound like it's the rifles fault?
https://www.freep.com/story/ne...ning-day/4221957002/

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
"The trigger went off..."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Was it a Remington 700?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Reading the article, it seems he was putting the rifle in a soft case at home getting ready to leave. Isn't transporting a loaded rifle illegal in Michigan?

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Reading the article, it seems he was putting the rifle in a soft case at home getting ready to leave. Isn't transporting a loaded rifle illegal in Michigan?

Even if it isn't illegal, it is beyond stupid. Thank God, the injuries aren't serious, the boys are only 4 and 6.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, unless he had a CCW. Still not smart. I'm not buying the trigger went off either. He either had his finger in the trigger guard when he slid it in the case or it caught on something loose inside. Both his fault.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was one of those violent guns that decided to go on a shooting spree. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

Yes, unless he had a CCW.

It's a CPL in Michigan (which I'm sure you know) and, while a Michigan CPL does allow one to carry a loaded rifle "concealed" in a motor vehicle, Michigan Fish and Game Wardens take a dim view of doing that anywhere near a hunting area.

From the Michigan Department of Natural Resources: Transporting Firearms, Crossbows, and Bows and Arrows page:
quote:

At all times when carried in or on a motor vehicle, including snowmobiles:
. Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.
Exception: These rules do not apply to a pistol carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license.

N.B.: It says pistol.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Betcha dad “didn’t think it was loaded”.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Hope the sons are brighter than the father. what a stupid f'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hangtime,

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should list the moron's name and a picture.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

Yes, unless he had a CCW.

It's a CPL in Michigan (which I'm sure you know) and, while a Michigan CPL does allow one to carry a loaded rifle "concealed" in a motor vehicle, Michigan Fish and Game Wardens take a dim view of doing that anywhere near a hunting area.

From the Michigan Department of Natural Resources: Transporting Firearms, Crossbows, and Bows and Arrows page:
quote:

At all times when carried in or on a motor vehicle, including snowmobiles:
. Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.
Exception: These rules do not apply to a pistol carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license.

N.B.: It says pistol.

Yes I used CCW as it's more recognizable on the forum and speaking at a higher level given the general question. The article didn't give a lot to support the 'why' Smile

The DNR as noted can be VERY picky about having a loaded long gun in a vehicle in a hunting area. This is primarily to prevent poaching or roadside hunting as well as the obvious safety concerns.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
A law suit against the gun's manufacturer to follow.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
CCW or CPL, we know what one means.

That’s why one even points an UNLOADED gun in a safe direction.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I deer hunted in MI for 10 years. I've met quite a few fellow hunters and know a few game wardens. I know loaded rifles in any motorized vehicle (ATVs, UTVs, etc.) is a major no-no and a holding a CPL does not change this. I would think every deer hunter in MI would know this. My family's process was to show up with unloaded rifles and ammo in our pockets. When we got to our walk in points, we loaded our rifles. When we left, we unloaded our rifles.

My point was the father's story doesn't make sense on doesn't make sense on the simplest level. Who sticks their loaded rifle in a soft case before they leave? He story sounds like a lie to cover up the truth.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Hope the sons are brighter than the father. that a stupid f'
No kidding. You can rest assured he's not teaching his sons proper gun safety that's for sure.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Colorado also has some strict laws prohibiting loaded long guns with rounds in the chamber in vehicles. Despite often complaining about “nanny state” laws, they are ones I can support. I suspect that they are partially responsible for the fact that injuries and deaths in firearms related hunting accidents have declined over the years. That doesn’t mean, however, that some people won’t ignore the laws because they’re convinced they know better and, “It can’t happen to me.”

Long ago I learned that the question, “Who would …?” can usually be answered, “Plenty of people.” Sometimes it’s ignorance or other thoughtlessness, sometimes it’s deliberate, but if it can be done someone will do it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colorado also has some strict laws prohibiting loaded long guns with rounds in the chamber in vehicles. Despite often complaining about “nanny state” laws, they are ones I can support. I suspect that they are partially responsible for the fact that injuries and deaths in firearms related hunting accidents have declined over the years.

I'm with you.
It is just stupid to be getting in and out of a vehicle with a round in the chamber. The same goes for climbing in and out of a deer stand.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23948 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Wives go off. Dogs go off. Triggers don’t go off. Be accountable if not to yourself, then to Newtown & his laws of physics.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Just another example of a moron who most likely takes his rusted up POS rifle out of the closet that it's been stored in for the past 11 1/2 months, throws it into a case, goes to the woods, and then comes home and tosses the still loaded aforementioned POS into the closet until next year.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post