SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dad’s rifle fires, injuring 2 sons on deer hunting opening day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dad’s rifle fires, injuring 2 sons on deer hunting opening day Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
CCW or CPL, we know what one means.

Do you? Did you know that in some states, when they call it a "concealed pistol" or "concealed handgun" license, they mean exactly that, and that long guns, never mind knives and other defensive weapons, are excluded? That's why I clarified it, despite being confident member Rightwire knew the correct term in Michigan.

Words matter. Particularly when the wrong word being used can get your ass tossed in the slammer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"concealed handgun" license, they mean exactly that, and that long guns, never mind knives and other defensive weapons, are excluded?

Colorado is one. The permit is a concealed “handgun” license.

I haven’t checked recently, but a couple of years ago I ran across something on the State Trooper web site that made it clear that the agency interpreted Colorado’s statute(s) on concealed firearms to apply to long guns in vehicles: I.e., that a rifle or shotgun could not legally be concealed in a case, under a blanket or luggage, or hidden by other means while being transported. I have never seen that position discussed anywhere else, or any indication that anyone has ever been charged with a crime based on that interpretation, but it shows why words in the law matter—a lot.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"concealed handgun" license, they mean exactly that, and that long guns, never mind knives and other defensive weapons, are excluded?

Colorado is one. The permit is a concealed “handgun” license.

I haven’t checked recently, but a couple of years ago I ran across something on the State Trooper web site that made it clear that the agency interpreted Colorado’s statute(s) on concealed firearms to apply to long guns in vehicles: I.e., that a rifle or shotgun could not legally be concealed in a case, under a blanket or luggage, or hidden by other means while being transported. I have never seen that position discussed anywhere else, or any indication that anyone has ever been charged with a crime based on that interpretation, but it shows why words in the law matter—a lot.

What do they mean by “transported”? Are you supposed leave it in plain view, so every meth addict that walks by your vehicle can see if they want to steal it while you’re in the diner having lunch? Or maybe they want people to dick around hiding it, then unhiding it, depending on whether their vehicle is parked temporarily or moving.

That seems to possibly not be a well thought-out interpretation they’ve arrived at.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Just another example of a moron who most likely takes his rusted up POS rifle out of the closet that it's been stored in for the past 11 1/2 months, throws it into a case, goes to the woods, and then comes home and tosses the still loaded aforementioned POS into the closet until next year.

Uses WD40 for his lube/cleaner/protectant, says it's 'good enough' and 'works the same...'

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
That seems to possibly not be a well thought-out interpretation they’ve arrived at.

Um ..., yes; that was my opinion as well.

I really should see if I can find that site again. I thought about bringing it to the attention of my state representatives, but one of them would probably think it was exactly how the law should be applied.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Loaded weapons are OK.

Chambered long guns should not be in a vehicle, unless actively being used.

Willing to be corrected, but to my knowledge, they do not have the same drop/impact safeties as pistols.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Should list the moron's name and a picture.

Here's a pic of the offending firearm...

UpNorthLive

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Here's a pic of the offending firearm...

Thanks.

And now I’m reminded again of the dangers of making assumptions. I pictured a bolt action rifle that’s easy to check to see if it’s loaded. With a tube magazine, however, it’s possible for a cartridge to get stuck in the magazine. If then it was released when the action was being cycled, the round could be chambered without the user’s noticing. Having a shell get stuck in the magazine and then released when I was operating the slide happened to me with a Remington 870 shotgun that was given to me by an officer for servicing. Based on a quick Internet search, rounds becoming stuck in tubular magazines is a relatively common problem.

It would be interesting to know this full story.

6.4/93.6

— Plato