SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just when you thought it was going to be simple!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just when you thought it was going to be simple! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Had a nice Alpine Double Din media unit in my Explorer and pulled it out before I sold it. Got this 2000 Silverado that could use a refresh as the factory unit is in there and a couple of blown speakers not to mention backup cameras are always helpful.
I'll creep on over to Crutchfield buy some speakers and the wiring harness since the Alpine was in a Ford and now going in a Chevy.
Well, Crutchfield gives me a little slap that says modified fit!
Crap, turns out the 2000 will not accommodate a Double Din unit without a new dash plate from Metra for $150 or taking the dash plate and radio basket from a 03-06 and modifying it slightly but still have some subtle places that don't fit properly!!
So a simple project becomes one that is not so simple.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
You don't have Onstar in one of that age, correct? The OnStar adapter was $350 if I had it in my 2004.

Luckily I did not...

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was confused for a bit. My mind kept seeing 30-06 instead of 03-06.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
No Onstar to worry about.
I am going to have to see how close this thing is to fitting. The Alpine is a digital media reciever so it is not as deep as a true double din which is part of the issue with the factory radio basket.

Metra makes a new dash bezel with proper brackets but one still needs to cut some portions of the factory basket.
But it is a little pricey at $150.

Have to put in a new A/C compressor so that takes priority as I have tunes but no A/C at the moment.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post