SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gunman in parking space shooting not charged because of 'Stand Your Ground' law
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunman in parking space shooting not charged because of 'Stand Your Ground' law Login/Join 
posted
A man who was captured on surveillance video fatally shooting another man in Clearwater, Florida, during a parking-spot spat as his young son watched nearby will not be arrested or charged by police, according to Pinellas County Sheriff.

"I don't make the law. I enforce the law," Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said during a news conference today. "The law in the state of Florida today is that people have a right to stand their ground and have a right to defend themselves when they believe that they are in harm."

The sheriff announced the case will be sent to the state attorney's office for review.

PHOTO: A man who was captured on surveillance video fatally shooting another man in Clearwater, Fla., during a parking-spot spat will not be arrested or charged by police, according to Pinellas County sheriff.Obtained by ABC News
A man who was captured on surveillance video fatally shooting another man in Clearwater, Fla., during a parking-spot spat will not be arrested or charged by police, according to Pinellas County sheriff.more +
"This will go to the state attorney. Drejka will not be charged [and] will not be arrested by us," Sheriff Gualtieri said. "The state attorney will review it and either he’ll concur or not. And, if he concurs, then there’ll be no charge. Period. If he doesn’t concur, then he’ll make a determination as to what to do with it. And, if he feels like he can overcome that heavy burden at a Stand Your Ground hearing of proving by clear and convincing evidence that Drejka was not entitled to use force in this circumstance, then that’s the state attorney’s determination to make."

According to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, around 3:28 p.m. Thursday, Britany Jacobs, 24, was sitting in her car in a handicapped parking space outside a Circle A Food Store while her boyfriend Markeis McGlockton, 28, and their son Markeis McGlockton Jr., 5, went into the store.

While the father and son were in the store, Jacobs was approached by Michael Drejka, 47, police said. The two then got into an argument because of where Jacobs was parked, according to police.

"According to witnesses, McGlockton exited the store and walked over to Drejka who was still arguing with Jacobs in the parking lot. Witnesses say McGlockton forcibly pushed Drejka causing Drejka to fall to the ground. Witnesses told detectives that Drejka was on the ground when he took out a handgun and fired one single round at McGlockton striking him in the chest," police said in a statement.

PHOTO: According to the Pinellas County Sheriffs Office, Markeis McGlockton approached Michael Drejka Thursday and pushed him to the ground after Drejka got into an argument with McGlocktons girlfriend.
<p itemprop= " onerror="this.src='http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/parking-spot-shooting-2-abc-jt-180720_hpEmbed_9x16_992.jpg'" />Obtained by ABC News
According to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, Markeis McGlockton approached Michael Drejka Thursday and pushed him to the ground after Drejka got into an argument with McGlockton's girlfriend.
more +
In surveillance video released by the convenience store, a man identified as McGlockton can be seen pushing Drejka to the ground. Drejka then raises his hand, which appears to be holding a gun, and shoots McGlockton. McGlockton goes back inside the store where Markeis Jr. is standing.

MORE: Hearing of retired cop who shot moviegoer puts Florida's controversial 'stand your ground' law back in the spotlight
In surveillance footage taken from inside the store, McGlockton can be seen falling to the ground in front of his son. Moments later, Jacobs rushes into the store, tries to help McGlockton and then begins to make a call on her cell.

PHOTO: Witnesses told police that Michael Drejka was on the ground when he took out a handgun and fired one single round at Markeis McGlockton striking him in the chest, police said.Obtained by ABC News
Witnesses told police that Michael Drejka was on the ground when he took out a handgun and fired one single round at Markeis McGlockton striking him in the chest, police said.more +
"Several witnesses called 911 as the incident unfolded. When deputies arrived, Drejka was cooperative with deputies. Drejka told deputies he placed his firearm in his Toyota 4-Runner prior to their arrival," police said.

MORE: Florida Homicide Rate Increased After Passage of 'Stand Your Ground' Law, Study Finds
McGlockton was transported to a hospital for life-threatening injuries but was pronounced dead about 4:04 p.m. Thursday, according to authorities.

"[It's] sad to see [McGlockton] die in front of his son. ... For a parking lot [space.] For a stupid reason. Just to argue, just to find someone to argue with,” said store owner Ali Selous, who told ABC News affiliate WFTS-TV that McGlockton was in the store buying candy for Markeis Jr.

Deputies transported Drejka to the North District Station to be interviewed by detectives, who also took possession of Drejka's handgun. Drejka had a valid Florida concealed weapons license, police said.

MORE: Florida Extends 'Stand Your Ground' to Include Warning Shots
Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, which was enacted in 2005, allows residents to use force, including deadly force, if they "reasonably believe" they are at risk of death or great bodily harm. The law specifies that people have "no duty to retreat" from their homes or vehicles if they feel threatened.

ABC News' efforts to reach Drejka were unsuccessful.

LINK: https://abcnews.go.com/US/gunm...aw/story?id=56715356

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ol’ Markeis hadn’t ought to have assaulted that Drejka fellow.

Really crappy reporting, too. The headline leads one to believe that the shooting was over a parking space when it was in response to a physical assault.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that a firearm was not necessary in this incident. The guy got pushed, and he shot someone over this? I wasn't there, I didn't hear the conversation or tone nor see facial expressions, but this seems to me like an overreaction.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It seems to me that a firearm was not necessary in this incident. The guy got pushed, and he shot someone over this? I wasn't there, I didn't hear the conversation or tone nor see facial expressions, but this seems to me like an overreaction.

This, unless he had a brick or cinderblock over him and was screaming he was about to bash his brains in.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really crappy reporting, too. The headline leads one to believe that the shooting was over a parking space when it was in response to a physical assault.

Yeah. I agree completely. At least they did not say he used an assault rifle.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the shooter was handicapped. That was a bit more than a "push". The guy went airborne.

Why else would he be playing parking lot police and having a spirited discussion over somebody parked in a handicapped space?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Being pushed forcefully enough to cause a fall and concomitant blow to the head has resulted in concussion and death. I don’t mean to minimize Drejka’s stupid escalation of some parking space faux-pas, but I can see how he could have been in fear for his life.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder to not waste your time arguing over petty shit.

I hate assholes in parking lots as much as anyone but I am not willing to kill a man, or die, over a parking space.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15252 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked more like an execution to me. It was one big push, and the pusher was not on top trying to deliver blows. Looks like each one of them was a jerk.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It looks like McGlockton was starting to back away after the gun was presented and was then shot. If the guy was retreating, would Stand Your Ground still apply?

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Mmmm, he initiates a confrontation with the woman in the car, then when boyfriend comes he continues to engage and gets shoved. Then he feels the need to employ lethal force in response?

My thought is he isn’t much of an ambassador for firearm owners. Seems like a lot of stupid on both sides. Got a problem with the disabled parking? Call the cops, take a picture of the license plate and let them deal with it.

Get called out on your illegal parking? Apologize, give a BS excuse, sheepishly get in the car and leave.

At least four lives ruined when it all could have very easily been avoided.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
That does not look like a justifiable reaction by Drejka.

Pulling out the firearm is understandable, if he was in fear for his life. However, at that point the deceased de-escalated.

I’d find Drejka guilty if I was on a jury, I believe.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Guy definitely shoves the other to the ground with force.

Not convinced shotting him was necessary but all I have a is the short video clip so no idea what else may have been involved here.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guy is going around knowing he’s armed and starting shit with strangers. If I went up and started in on some guy’s GF, I’d expect to get pushed, too. He just wanted to blast somebody so he started this and then claimed victim status when he got the shove he deserved. This doesn’t reflect well on those of us that mind our own business and would like to defend ourselves if we get attacked.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Apparently the shooter has a history of getting into arguments with other people over that parking spot. In at least one such prior argument, he had threated to shoot his adversary.

link

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
After another look at the video, I'm more inclined to agree that Markeis appeared to be retreating after the gun was drawn, and Drejka's shot wasn't so much in self-defense as in revenge.

Both of them are idiots and assholes.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Apparently the shooter has a history of getting into arguments with other people over that parking spot. In at least one such prior argument, he had threated to shoot his adversary.

link

Hmmmm, that may not bode well for him....

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Just a reminder to not waste your time arguing over petty shit.

I hate assholes in parking lots as much as anyone but I am not willing to kill a man, or die, over a parking space.

Bears repeating.

Q

Posts: 26373 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
After another look at the video, I'm more inclined to agree that Markeis appeared to be retreating after the gun was drawn, and Drejka's shot wasn't so much in self-defense as in revenge.

Both of them are idiots and assholes.

Another one of those assholes that spouts, "If I pull my gun, I must use it."

And if you are carrying a gun, it should be your damn mission to avoid starting arguments and getting into yelling matches.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

I’d find Drejka guilty if I was on a jury, I believe.

I know I sure would, given from what I just saw anyway.

And I guess I don't get the law, because the guy was backing away when he was shot. You get shoved for instigating an altercation, and that gives you justification to kill a man because frankly, you're butthurt? I just don't get it; I didn't think that was what the law was about at all. Honestly, if an opponent to this law used this case as an example, I really don't know how I would defend it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post