SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gmc Safari van fan problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gmc Safari van fan problem Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Without any previous warning today got in the old van and the heater fan would not run on any setting?

Help please.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19110 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I'll sent someone over tomorrow to see what model and year so we can go from there. Roll Eyes

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuse?
Object fell through the dash defroster vent and jammed the fan blade?
Motor wore out?
Fan-speed circuit board?
Corroded connector? (then probably smoked)
Fan is holding out for better working conditions?

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Rat built nest in fan housing which prevents fan from turning?

Posts: 26851 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I blame eco boost. All kidding aside. Check radiator levels, check air box, check distribution box, check all fuses. Finally track down all the wiring for the fan

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Could be the resistor or a fuse.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It is a late 90's or 2000 year.

I drove it a couple hundred miles just a few days ago and it worked fine. I have had no previous problems. Thinking it is an electrical issue. A friend just had a similar thing happen with this vintage of Tahoe.

????

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Check fuse first thing, then a 12V test light on wire to blower motor. Power at wire, replace motor. No power at motor, back track to blower relay, blower motor resistor, HVAC control at dash and wiring back to fuse panel.

Tahoe's problem is a different thing IMO, blower motor resistor is a known problem with those.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I will check into tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
resistor block

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Assuming its the same thing, I've had to replace this on a 1999 and a 2002 Grand Prix back when we had them, forgot where I bought the resistor part, it wasn't expensive. Had to lie on my back with my head on the passenger floorboard and feet on the headrest to take out the 3 or 4 screws to do it. A real pain, but it worked.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
First, the pellet stove. Then the heater fan. Seems like some forces are at work trying to freeze your ass. Smile

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5291 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yeah MRMATT. I guess you are right Smile

I will do some checking today guys. That resister thingy sounds plausable.

Thanks again all.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
First, the pellet stove. Then the heater fan. Seems like some forces are at work trying to freeze your ass. Smile

Big Grin Big Grin

Usually if it’s a bad resistor, the fan will only operate at high speed. Maybe fuse, but my money would be on the blower motor.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Rockauto, Chevy DisAstro van most likely the same
parts as the GMC, Blower Motor Control Module/Resistors are about $20

Blower motors are $11 to $30 depending on what you want.

For less than $50 you can replace everything..

http://www.rockauto.com/en/cat...dule+/+resistor,6557

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Great info guys. Sure appreciate it. Thanks for the link HRK.

Sincerely, orc

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:

Big Grin Big Grin

Usually if it’s a bad resistor, the fan will only operate at high speed. Maybe fuse, but my money would be on the blower motor.

I agree with this. But check fuses first, always check fuses before jumping further into an issue.

A quick way to know if the blower motor is bad or weak is to put the fan switch on high and pound on the blower motor. If the blower motor works, then you usually have found the culprit. If the motor doesn't run, then need to check for power and ground at the motor.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Had a local shop check it out after I determined it was not a fuse.

Blower motor is out, maybe resistor board too. Undetermined at this point.

If both need replacing $360 ouch. Eek

I suppose half that is parts. Not sure I need to attempt it myself. I dunno, I need to think on it? Any thoughts?

posted Hide Post
There are lots of YouTube videos on replacing the resister assembly and motor. It looks relatively easy to get at (as opposed to tearing the dash out and standing on your head). They are behind the right headlight and accessible from under the hood.

You feelin' lucky?

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
My old Astro did the same thing and it was the resistor.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post