SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck Guys.....in-bed storage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck Guys.....in-bed storage Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I was going to hijack P250UA5's thread but decided that was impolite. LOL

What about storage systems for the bed of a pickup? Something like this from Decked.

I'm thinking I could use it to stow the hitch related stuff (I'd be pulling a travel trailer), tools, etc. Combine it with that BAK cover maybe.

Anyone know of other systems I might want to consider?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Go to expedition portal and look under "other vehicles" or search pick up bed storage. I have seen dozens of similar set ups, mostly DIY, that were really nice and much less expensive depending on your DIY skills.

Also look at JOBOX, there units look more durable and less costly

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Decked looks like some serious storage. Pricey & you lose what looks like half the bed depth. Also, you have to be able to fully lower the tailgate to access it.
Bak also makes the BakBox that mounts flush to the bottom of thier covers.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Just buy a Ridgeline, Allen.

Big Grin

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
They are pretty handy. The question is, how nice do you want it to be?

The ones you linked, for my truck, are $1250. That's a chunk of change when you could build one for a whole lot less.

Back in the 60s when my dad was working away from home alot, he built one for the bed of his truck. It had two large drawers to pull out for storage and he laid a mattress on top of it. With the topper on he had himself a nice little camper.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Just buy a Ridgeline, Allen.
Big Grin

I'll have to check their towing capacity first. Big Grin

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A Ridgeline would be nice, but I think it's overkill for storage. Besides, if I put one in the bed of my truck I wouldn't have room for the 5th wheel hitch.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
How much storage do you need? Something like this may fill your needs.

SwingCase

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, what got me thinking about in-bed storage was looking at weight-distributing hitches. It occurred to me that one probably did not drive around with all that hanging off his bumper when not actually towing something, so where would I secure it? Which led me to thinking about other stuff I would want to store, securely but relatively easy to access. I didn’t want hitch parts or drone cases or whatever sliding around in the bed, even if it was secure with a cover or some kind.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
While camping, I stored the mine in the trailer's storage compartment. Most of what was in the storage compartment while traveling were chairs, grill, mat, etc. that would be used while camping and thus left lots of space for the hitch in the compartment.

How much do those in bed setups weigh? It all counts against your payload. Or travel trailer's tongue weight was 1,000 pounds plus another 100 for the hitch. Throw in me, my wife and three kids and we were over the payload rating of most 150/1500 before adding fuel. Throw in the bicycles and kayaks and we were right on the edge of most 250/2500.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I use milk crates or plastic tubs depending on what. I need at the time. They're cheap, modular, and easy.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have a Leer cap over my F250 bed. I built a full length heavy duty drawer unit that can handle 8 long guns and or 10,000 rounds. On top of the drawer unit is a BedSlide 1000 that will handle 1000 pounds on top. If this setup interests you send me an email and I will send pix

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I use a Fold a Cover on my new Sierra 2500HD. It only has one box for storage up front and is covered by the cover and is lockable. It doesn't give nearly as much storage or organization as the one you showed but it works well for me. I have to haul stuff in the bed and I can still do that. I can also slide about 6 sheets of plywood under the personal caddy and close the tailgate. Mine is packed with some tools, compressor, tow strap, blanket, tow ball, etc.

Here's some pics.

https://www.foldacover.com/photos-and-video/

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
dbl post

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post