SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Do Some People Intentionally Put Themselves At Risk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do Some People Intentionally Put Themselves At Risk? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
No, I don't mean firefigthers, police officers and first responder types, I mean guys like this:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...ed-iran-tehran-cases

It seems that all too frequently we hear stories of people like the above "graduate student," Xiyue Wang, or people like Otto Warmbier, who find themselves in hostile territory, suddenly arrested and taken hostage, and even (as in Warmbier's case) killed.

Maybe I'm naive, but unless these people aren't who they say they are, why would anyone put themselves in a position to be used as a tool by an unfriendly government? I mean, Iran? North Korea? Who in the right mind doesn't know these tyrannical, despotic regimes care nothing for human rights, and will use any perceived advantage they can to further their aims?

Now, I understand missionary zeal, although I don't always agree with it. But most of the reports we read are of "students" who for some reason, decided it was "cooler" to go to some s___hole country than to binge drink during Spring Break. OK, I'm being extreme, but honestly, I don't get it. 'Splain it me, please?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I don’t think one blanket answer is going to cover it.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Because there are a lot of stupid people in this world.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many reasons. Missionaries for example have different reasons than thrill seekers like Evel Knivel. No one answer.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I think that there is some logic at work as to why those regimes arrest those individuals.
I don't agree with the mis-treatment of people, or the regimes themselves, but I do somewhat understand the logic. Tyrannies do not like mysteries.

From their perspective, the logic goes... "You knew our country arrests/disappears people like you. It makes no sense to be a tourist here. At first blush, you do not appear to be a drooling idiot. What does make sense to us is that you had some other motive to be here, one that would be worth the risk. You need to explain or get introduced to the men over there with the bludgeons. What might that motive be?"

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half the population has a below average IQ. Nuff said.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Half the population has a below average IQ. Nuff said.
A "Bell Curve" has very long, slender tails. These people are from the low end tail.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know what the answer is either. However from the outside looking in, it would appear ignorance or stupidity is at work.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do think a larger percentage than is generally known may be folks that have been placed for intelligence gathering. There are clandestine operations even in the public sector regarding industrial espionage far more than most folks are aware of. Even in the commercial food industry that I was employed in. We had to be very wary of who had access to certain areas of the facility when product development was going on.
Regarding international politics, one incident I recall was Karen Colb who was one of the hostages taken in Iran or Iraq many years ago. She was supposedly a functionary for some "dance exchange group" that was over there during the upheavals. How lame of a cover did that appear to be? It may have been a real organization but the coincidence seemed a bit far out there...

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
You never know. Maybe he was serving the U.S. as a spy? Maybe he was naive. Who knows.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Mostly because their Spidey Sense is not working.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are superior creatures with a greater faith in mankind than we mere mortals. And they're stupid.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post