SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help Replacing my EDC Backpack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Replacing my EDC Backpack Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I have a Swissgear backpack that finally bit the dust. Shoulder straps are shot and zipper for computer compartment broke. I’m seeking something that is internally tactical and well organized, but on the outside appears like any other bag. It must have heavily padded shoulder straps too. I’ve surfed Amazon and the night nes I tend the like run north of $150. That just seems high to me. Opinions?

ANSWERS to Questions:
1) I've had my Swissgear bag for 10+ years at least. My big issue is not enough padding on the shoulder straps. With my 17" work laptop and other stuff it just digs into my shoulders too much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Vertx bags.

How long did your old bag last? If it's more than a year, I think a good backpack is worth 50-cents a day to get a $100-150 bag.

JMO. My Vertx EDC ready bag is going on 2 years and looks great. Worth every penny.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maxpedition has a few options like that, especially the new "Entity" line. Spendy, but very well built and will last many years. My Maxpedition EDC pack has been going strong for 5-6 years, plenty of long day hikes, still looks basically new.

https://www.maxpedition.com/co...enabled-edc-backpack

https://www.maxpedition.com/co...?variant=28168844369

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the Vertex EDC Carry Pack

linky

Yes, it's $150 but email me for a code to get 25% off (believe code is still good).

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vertx or Maxpedition. And you can usually find Maxpedition on sale and get a great deal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I can’t understand why anyone would want to carry a backpack daily.

I have been trying to carry as little as possible my whole life.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

I have been trying to carry as little as possible my whole life.

Bob

Want to? No. But when I take public transit to work (3-4 days/week), I use one. It handles my lunch if I pack one, a book to read on the train, whatever paperwork I need to take with me, a smallish IFAK/trauma kit, and sometimes a laptop. When I drive to work I leave the backpack at home (the car has big FA and trauma kits in the trunk).

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Vertx bags.

Worth every penny.

Yep.

Keep an eye on forum classifieds and eBay. I've gotten a couple screaming deals on lightly used ones. (~$80ish)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vertx Gamut. Outstanding product.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
How long did your Swissgear backpack last?

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
Vertx Gamut. Outstanding product.
Another great pack, just too big for me - I order both a Gamut and EDC Ready to compare and the EDC won out on my smaller frame.

But for more outdoor activities, I can see the value of the Gamut.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

People that live in cities and use mass transit use them. And people in college/school, etc, to carry their books and laptop.

Us old geezers that live out in the sticks don't need a daily backpack, but some folks do.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpha One Niner Evade. The design was aided by members of EDCForums.com (and they're helping with version 2 as well). It's from Helm Ashiblie who has offered some bags here on SF in the past.

http://www.alphaoneniner.com/s...econ9-evade-backpack

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Vertx EDC Ready or the Gamut.
Both are excellent.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on my second Swiss Gear backpack over the last 12 years. They seem to last me about 6 years or more each time. I would highly recommend them. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I have used a Maxpedition Malaga for the last couple years. It fits a laptop or a tablet. Two different places for ccw. It wears like iron. I didn’t want a murse or big pack but I needed something that fits my work needs.
https://www.maxpedition.com/co...s/malaga-gearslinger

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Palm has this barely used GoRuck listed in the Classifieds for $125.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4740011944

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the middle of nowhere. I carry an EDC pack with me everytime I use my car. My EDC pack is a combination of survival, snivel, and medical gear. Here, help is 20+ minutes away, if you can get cell signal. If someone has an ND on the range, better have the gear.... My pack is a Tactical Tailor Fight Light removable operator's pack.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I have a Vertx Commuter sling. I love it. Holds my computer and a bunch of other crap every day.

https://www.vertx.com/edc-commuter-sling

Wait for Black Friday, you can find a deal.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As Strambo mentioned the Entity line from Maxpedition is very non descript and carries well. The 23 and 27 have a dedicated laptop sleeve and will carry a lot of stuff in the main compartment. My only gripe is that if you have too much stuff in either side pocket you can’t get a water bottle into the outside sleeve, or vice versa. Outside of that it’s been a great bag so far. Oh, and don’t pay the retail price they have listed on the site, you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post