SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazing cycling record being set
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazing cycling record being set Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Amanda Coker is a couple of days away from the fastest ever to ride 100K miles at about 425 days. She first set the most miles in one year at over 87K Miles. Pretty sure she will hold both records for both men and women.

She has averaged over 235 miles per day, and not taken a day off. She rode 400 miles in a day last week. She rides 3 different bikes, a road bike, a time trial bike, and a recumbent. She rides a flat route around a park east of Tampa Florida.

https://docs.google.com/spread...JcUINqs20/edit#gid=0

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
227 left according to the spread sheet. She may finish 100K miles in 423 days. I wonder if she'll stop or go for fastest to 200K or some metric record.

She sure is in for an adjustment when she stops after the habit of riding 235 miles/day for 423 days.

I'm reminded of Forest Gump "I think I'll go home now, I'm tired"

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don't believe my crotch would stand that kind of mistreatment.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
She rides a flat route around a park east of Tampa Florida.

She rides around the same course all day every day?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very impressive but also seems like a boring waste of time.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
She rides a flat route around a park east of Tampa Florida.

Yes, repeats of a very flat 6 or 7 mile course I think.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow, that's dedication!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Like a hamster on an exercise wheel.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Has anybody done a sanity check? Not for the distance, but the repetition? That is gotta be impactful....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't wish to detract from the magnitude of her accomplishment, but that seems really mind-numbing. Eek

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I don't wish to detract from the magnitude of her accomplishment, but that seems really mind-numbing. Eek

Oh I'm sure it's "numbing". More than the mind I would suppose.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
7 mile flat trail all day. While her time dedication is admirable, we know that riding flat miles are much easier than those with inclines.

Kind of waters down the achievement to me to ride the same 7 mile flat trail over and over again.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Kind of waters down the achievement to me to ride the same 7 mile flat trail over and over again.

Only if you seek something to criticize her for, IMO.

The record will have nothing to do with flat/incline. Just distance. Nothing in the record implies it's cross-country. And, 4-minute mile records are set on flat tracks. . .

14,286 laps (assuming 7 mile trail)? That is amazing, even if it were all downhill.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
While one cannot argue with the mileage this girl has put in, I am personally more impressed with a chap named Tommy Goodwin who held the record from 1939 till 2016, did the record on a 3-spd, in English weather, likely coast to coast. No fancy carbon bike, HP tires, and simple flatland circles . At the time (1939...England...) the war stopped him from going for the 100K mark.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._(cyclist,_born_1912) 

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of record that nobody wants to break because ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Guess she didn't want to take her chances on the Natchez Trace...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
cparktd- Your comment likely isn't cool based on that topic being closed, but it's funnier than shit.

Anyone who challenges her record has some leeway choosing their conditions, and if they ride up and down le Alpe du'Huez for 100K miles in under 420 days, I'll crown them even more badass than Amanda Coker.

posted Hide Post
As a cyclist I can appreciate the dedication and effort, but it's still an obsessive compulsive freak show.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's an impressive feat of exercise that has very little to do with all of the cycling sports. It's really more like some random feat for Guiness Book, like eating a 1000 hot dogs the fastest. Still impressive, in a sense, but hardly an "amazing cycling record" of any relevance.

Like a Putt Putt Champion's relationship to Bobby Jones and regular golf. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like she hit 100K today. Wonder if she'll just keep on riding...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10033054

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post