SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Gregg Allman
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Gregg Allman Login/Join 
Don't burn
the day away
posted
RIP in a peace Gregg, thanks for all the great music.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
It is impossible to overestimate the Allman Brothers influence on American music. True giants.
RIP Greg.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Oh no, dyin' greats is getting tiresome.
RIP

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the pleasure to see the Allman Bros Band in the early 90s great show RIP

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
An original and probably one of the best singers of the southern rock era.

Butch Trucks in January and now Gregg.

Damn.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... damn it.

That heavenly rock n roll group is growing ...

vale.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Shared the same last name and age although I'm around 4 months older. Some friends teased we were cousins multple times removed but I never made any attempt to find out for sure. Not all that many Allman families in the US.

Suffice it to say that regardless of the above connection the music of the Allman Brothers always resonated deeply with me. Smile

RIP

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
RIP. Only Dicky and Jaimoe left.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I saw them early on in the Fillmore East, then again in Asbury Park. I remember thinking you could cut them in half and make two bands out of them. Duane with still alive at the time. R.I.P. Gregg.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
I saw them live in the early 1970's 42 times.
Many times BB King opened.
great performers, great concerts.
More from my youth sadly passing away.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side, in 50 years from now the only musicians dying will be Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and a bunch of old rappers.

The greats will pass on, but we still have their music.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Damn.

Love me some Allman Brothers.

I'll have to break out that CD.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Godspeed Gregg Allman. Frown

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
"In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed"..my favorite.

From Songfacts.com
"Allmans guitarist Dickey Betts wrote this song for a girl, but not the one in the title. Elizabeth Reed Napier (b. November 9, 1845) is buried at the Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Georgia, where Betts would often write. He used the name from her headstone as the title because he did not want to reveal who the song was really about: a girl he had an affair with who was Boz Scaggs' girlfriend.
Duane Allman and Berry Oakley are buried in the same cemetery as Elizabeth Reed Napier.
This was the first original instrumental song by The Allman Brothers.
Betts wrote this is based on Miles Davis' "All Blues." While Davis had been incorporating elements of rock into his jazz, Betts used pieces of jazz for this rock instrumental. Jazz rhythms make excellent use of the two-drummer format the Allmans use.
This is one of their live favorites. It usually evolves into a lengthy jam.
At concerts, this was a showcase for Allman's drummers Jaimoe and Butch Trucks, who performed a drum solo at the end."

Jam on Brother, Jam On.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Maybe he and Duane are getting the band back together.

RIP, sir.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I was sorry to read this. Terrific musician, even better vocalist.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
RIP Gregg. Your music was a staple of my youth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coloradohunter44,

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
That sucks. What a great musician....

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post