SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know about basement floors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know about basement floors? Login/Join 
TANSTAAFL
posted
I live in a rowhouse just south of Baltimore. It has no garage, but has a basement with concrete floors. Thinking about putting in a home gym, but I am kind of worried about the floors. Anyone know if a residential basement floor would support the weight of a bench, rack, and maybe 300lbs of weights(plus user)?

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not an engineer, but I'd say no problem. The 50 gallons of water in your water heater weighs 350# and that's concentrated in a smaller area than a weight bench. Many of us also have gun safes that weigh that much sitting on basement floors. It's dang tough to break 4-6" concrete that is supported by compressed gravel.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Without any admixtures to enhance the concrete, the compressive strength of most concrete mixes will be a little over 3000psi. Most driveways are made with that type of mix, so you should be ok assuming it's at least a 4" slab.

I would recommend going to a tack shop and buying stall mats to lay down to protect the concrete from be chipped by any dropped weights/equipment. It will last longer, and be cheaper per square foot than most products marketed specifically for gym flooring.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You mean will the concrete hold the gym equipment.

Absolutely. If it doesn't you have some real issues.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your house may tip over, like Guam almost did.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I was going to build a lifting platform with plywood and mats. But have seen a neighbor whose house has cracks all over the floor in the basement. No obvious damage, just cracks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: buddy357,

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will definitely crack if you drop weights on it. Maybe use a thick rubber matt. It will hold the weight fine.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was shocked that my Dad's basement is only 2" of concrete. I erroneously thought they were 4" thick.
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
I was going to build a lifting platform with plywood and mats. But have seen a neighbor whose house has cracks all over the floor in the basement. No obvious damage, just cracks.
Horse mats (i.e. heavy duty rubber mats) are good unless you're doing olympic lifts then you need a lifting platform.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Maybe I was worrying for nothing. My original plan was to set it up in the backyard. But there's no fence and it would all likely disappear pretty quickly if it didn't rust first.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
You should have NO problems with workout equipment on that concrete floor. I would not worry about it, at all.

And concrete floors should not "crack" from a dropped weight. Might chip it, but not crack it.

Cracks very likely are coming from some other inherent problem.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
My old house had 1" of some sort of concrete. It held all the weights my brother had. It also held tons of coal at one point and a furnace.
Depending on the mason the floor can be good or poorly done.
Should be 4" thick of 3000# or 3500#.
It will chip if you drop weights on it. Rubber matting should be good to keep that from happening.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post