SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I took my daughter to NYC in December for her 16th birthday and aside from being cold she loved it.

We hit most of the things on your list but one of our only regrets were not crossing the Brooklyn Bridge and not really going into central park

We were able to get around very easily via subway and I used a app that not only told me where the stations were but told me exactly what trains to take.

My daughter wanted to do the 5th ave thing and I took her to Tiffany and bough her a necklace....most awesome customer experience ever, they made her feel like her $200 necklace was worth 200k the way they trated her.

We were a little disappointed by Times Square, too many people and nothing worthwhile to see besides lots of lights.

Have fun

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Shanghai Joes cafe in china town. Bring cash, and get the soup dumplings. Meat sauce shrimp and crispy chicken are heaven. You can thank me later ... Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the High Line is underrated....I've really enjoyed walking it and it's a good workout to boot. Lots of good views and many great restaurants in that area. Another tourist box to check....but the best pastrami in the U.S.....Katz's Deli on E. Houston Street.

Posts: 175 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 30, 2012Report This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
As far as where to stay, AirBnB can be significantly less expensive than a hotel in Manhattan. A studio apartment AirBnB is a great choice for a 5-night stay, and it's a one-price thing (NO taxes, etc.). Get one within a few blocks walking distance of a subway station and you'll be all set!

As Kevmo mentioned the subway apps do a good job. I'd Uber from the airport, and then subway or walk everywhere else. After 8:00 or 9:00 at night, I probably wouldn't take the subway.

The 9/11 Memorial is different to the 9/11 Museum. See both, but you'll need to buy tickets for an entrance time slot to enter the 9/11 Museum. You can get in line to buy your Museum tickets with the specific entrance time slot, and then go walk around outside to view the 9/11 Memorial until your time slot arrives. I think you can buy tickets for a time slot on their web site ahead of time, but not sure.

The One World Observatory (tallest building in the city) is atop the new tower downtown, and an alternative to the Empire State Building. Or do both.

If you're into the financial history of Wall Street, there are some Wall Street walking tours that are good.

There's a Little Italy near Chinatown in lower Manhattan, but other than some good Italian restaurants, not much to see. The REAL Little Italy is in The Bronx, but it's a really long subway ride, and a 15 minute walk from the subway. But if you're a baseball fan and want to tour Yankee Stadium, you'll be close enough to catch The Bronx' Little Italy.

Grand Central Terminal is cool, and there's a $7-9 headset self-guided tour of it that is really good, and only takes about 50 minutes. The guided tour is OK if you have a young-person's hearing, but it's so loud in there, you can't hear the tour guide.

I took my wife and grown daughter to the Russian Tea Room near The Plaza for afternoon tea. They LOVED it! If you do a day of shopping on 5th Ave, you're close to it. It's a pricey thing, but everything in the city is pricey. You'll want to have a reservation.

Broadway Show? Hamilton is sold out and REALLY expensive in the ticket aftermarket. The Book of Mormon is hilarious, if sacrilegious things don't offend you.

You probably won't be able to do everything you want to do in 5 days, as getting around the city takes a fair amount of time, but if you break each morning and afternoon into geographic areas, you may be able to knock out a couple of sites in each of those areas and see a lot of stuff.

Restaurants - too many to discuss.

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
FUG Mad EDABOUDID!

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
NYS has made it a crime to post an NYC apartment on AirBnb, et al. It may still happen, but likely not as much as it used to. Lots of bad things can happen to anyone who lists their apartment.

quote:
Originally posted by italia:
As far as where to stay, AirBnB can be significantly less expensive than a hotel in Manhattan.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Take a water taxi somewhere even if just from the airport to Manhattan or vice versa, and don't forget to grab a slice of pizza now and then (from anywhere, doesn't matter)!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikeyspizza,

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Why would you go anywhere you are completely unable to protect the lives of yourself and wife?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The Guggenheim (for the architecture) and Metropolitan (Temple of Dendur and the Arms and Armor exhibitions)Museums.

Make a reservation and go to Serendipity for a frozen hot chocolate.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Report This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
DoubleTree suites Times Square. In the heart of Times Square. Suite so you have space-conveniate to subway.
Times Square-access to Theater, across from Ticket booth for 1/2 price Broadway shows.
Easy shuttle-subway to Grand Central.
Subway-buy unlimited week pass. Uptown = north or Central Park. Downtown= South or Wall ST.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Report This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Patsy's for Dinner.
Where Sinatra and a lot of the old timers ate.

Juniors next to Marriott Marquis on Times Square for breakfast or lunch.

The Beretta store, it is cool to see guns for sale in Manhattan.

Fox Studio building and watch through the window.

Have fun.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely see the 9/11 memorial, both the reflecting pools and the museum. I work in Manhattan.

The American Museum of Natural History is also a must see. I try to get there at least once a year (but it's been a few years now.)

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Report This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Took my kids there last summer for the first time. Both loved it, daughter really loved it.

First: buy a subway pass - pay the man. Walking is going to wear you.

Second: 9/11 is the only "must."

Third: pizza at a street shop. 4 slices of 2 topping pizza for $10. And it was great!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Have a meal at Katz's deli, on E. Houston St, in Soho.

This is a great Jewish deli.

Don't lose your ticket.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We just got back from there about 6 hours ago. We've been six or seven times since our first trip in March of 2014, we LOVE the city! This trip, we stayed at the Cambria hotel, it's on 46th, between 5th and 6th, small but modern rooms, great location, very reasonable price. My wife and I are big hockey fans, so we always take in a Ranger game at MSG. Take one day and do the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the 9/11 memorial and museum, and One World Observatory. Figure on spending several hours at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, as well as a few hours at the 9/11 memorial and museum. The boats to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island depart and return to Battery Park, easy walking distance to the WTC, and Wall St if you want to see that. A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is fun, take the water taxi back, and go to South St. Seaport, and explore lower Manhattan. Madison Square Park and the Flatiron building are cool. Empire State Building, Bryant Park, the public library, Grand Central Terminal, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, top of the rock (best views of the city), pass the Plaza Hotel and, explore Central Park. The upper east side and upper west side have beautiful, quiet residential areas, the Hudson River waterfront is beautiful. I could go on and on! Too bad you won't be able to get a meal at the Carnegie Deli, yes it was a tourist trap, but that open-faced pastrami Reuben was awesome!

Posts: 467 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Report This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Don't

This.
My parents live in upstate NY and I refuse to visit.
I see zero reason to give that state any of my business.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the help! Love the restaurant suggestions and the Air and Space museum didn't pop up on my initial searches. If we just see one museum, is the better than the Natural History Museum.

Is there a specific subway app I should look into?

Keep the suggestions coming, the wife is finally seeing the knowledge of the forum Smile

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
My two suggestions:

• Choose someplace else.

• If you ignore the first suggestion above, then For God's sake, LEAVE YOUR GUNS AT HOME!
  • And every cartridge--even spent cases!

I enjoyed a helicopter trip around Manhattan. Also a short visit to Battery Park and Coney Island.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
    2nd amdmt gramps
    posted Hide Post
    If you find a yellow NYC taxicab driven by a little woman who looks like an Aztec Indian, FLEE FOR YOUR LIFE ON FOOT-DO NOT GET IN!

A ride in that cab will make any and all carnival thrill rides for the rest of your life feel like an afternoon nap in your rocking chair.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Report This Post
    Mensch
    Picture of kz1000
    posted Hide Post
    NYC born and raised. Go, you'll be fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
    -Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post