SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ***SOLUTION*** Excel crashes when I try to "save as"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

***SOLUTION*** Excel crashes when I try to "save as" Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Had to "manually" uninstall based on instructions from the MS Help Desk. It didn't go perfectly, the uninstall, but it must have removed enough that when I reinstalled, it started working.

Actually, I spoke too soon. It is the 32bit version that works. I installed that first by accident. Uninstalled, then installed the 64bit, didn't work. Uninstalled, now back to the 32bit version which works.

The Chrome issue appears to be separate as Chrome continues to crash now even though Office is working.

I've spent far too much time on this today. I'm just going to go buy a MAC.

Basically that means I can't create anything new and save it. I can save what I've already created. Word and Outlook do the same thing.

I've done a repair, I've done an uninstall and reinstall. I've checked the hardware acceleration which wasn't on.

Apparently there was an issue with Malwarebytes that was casing this sort of behavior, but I removed MB3 and ran the MB clean utility, still, all this while Office was uninstalled. After the reinstall, same issue.

Chrome is doing the same thing, but neither Edge, Foxfire or Opera do that. So, I'm not sure whether they are related or coincidence.

One other possibility is having installed Private Internet Access (PIA). Not sure how that might affect it.

Anyone have any suggestions. I've run out of options. I've on various forums, Bleeping Computer, Microsoft, Malwarebytes and Chrome. None of the suggestions have resolved the issue.

This is Windows 10 and Office 2016. Everything is up to date.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Tried running hardware diagnostics, incl. disk diagnostics, yet?

That's all I got. I know nothing about MS-Win10.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Been there way too many years ago, can't remember how it was fixed. Anyhow, I would start with an exhaustive checkdisk at boot.

Been there, now if I can remember...

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Could be a disk issue, but no other programs have issues writing to disk and I'm using an SSD.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Word and excel macro virus?

0-0

Any weird looking folder and content in your drive? Unfamiliar installed programs?

Run msconfig and check what starts with the machine. Check processes for suspects.
No

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I can't offer a solution to problem but can suggest a work around.

From Windows Explorer (or the DOS prompt) copy an Excel file and give it the name you want the new file to have. Open copied file with Excel. Delete old contents. Enter new contents. Save. Voila.

Oh. You better start doing backups. You may have impending hardware failure or a malware issue.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Check to see if you have any add-ins and disable them one at a time.

If I recall correctly, Abbyy Finereader caused a problem when it was installed with some scanner software.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I have an 8TB NAS to which I do image and incremental backups regularly and automatically. Malware is unlikely. I'm running Norton Internet security and Malwarebytes Premium.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I can't offer a solution to problem but can suggest a work around.

From Windows Explorer (or the DOS prompt) copy an Excel file and give it the name you want the new file to have. Open copied file with Excel. Delete old contents. Enter new contents. Save. Voila.

Oh. You better start doing backups. You may have impending hardware failure or a malware issue.

Thanks for the suggestion of a workaround.

posted Hide Post
Will it write to a USB thumb drive?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post