SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salesmen Instructed "Don't Even Open the Hood Any Longer"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salesmen Instructed "Don't Even Open the Hood Any Longer" Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
3 - Please keep the opinions and feedback to answers to my questions only.

Do you tell them at the beginning or let them pick up on your silence to their comments? Big Grin
Since you and I have met and chatted, I bet you can guess how I handle this. Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I miss the days when the salesman had a pinky horseshoe ring and kept telling you how honest he is.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Fun story a local sales manager contact of mine shared with me and a cautionary tale to 'all' salesmen.

An old guy wearing bib overalls, a t-shirt, and work boots walked into their dealership, and pretty much every salesman avoided the guy apparently thinking he was there to 'kick the tires'. Eventually my sales manager contact greeted the gentleman who immediately shook his hand and told him he wanted to buy the "Red F-350 Platinum Edition Dually (~$70k+) sitting in front of the dealership. When my contact asked "Ok, do you have a trade and how would you like to pay for it". The gentleman's response, "Nope no trade, and I'll be paying cash", after which he reached into the pockets of his 'bibs' and pulled out all the cash he needed to buy the truck. My sales contact said he almost fainted counting out the agreed upon purchase price in cash. Smile What's that old saying about judging a book by its cover...

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've seen both ends of the spectrum between working in a couple dealerships, my dad being in the business 30 years & buying a few cars.

The best was buying my CPO Mercedes, salesman was non-pushy, knowledgeable & just a good guy.

Similar when I bought my F150, great salesman, knew the truck & features, and low pressure. Especially when the truck I intended to buy, a CPO '14 F150 Limited turned out to be affected by the brake recall & was withdrawn from sale.
Ended up in a new '16 F150 XLT at a great price.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15288 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Bought an old Dodge truck recently and there isn't a cupholder or USB port in sight.

Couldn't be happier.

What's wrong with a cup holder or USB port? You like driving around holding your coffee the whole time and not be able to charge your phone?

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Last 3 cars I bought were a good buying experience All 3 salesman were good at their jobs. One was Ford, one was Buick and the other Toyota.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Hell, it's nothing new.
Some time in the 80's I was at a Ford dealership to service their computer. On my company car, a Ford LTD, I'd stuck one of those fake chrome "Turbo" badges after the LTD.

Three salesmen complimented me for having bought the Turbo version.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2017 Lexus came with owners manuals, and to make things really easy, a "quick reference guide"

I thought it quite funny that the "quick reference guide" is 100 pages long!

The owner's manual is like reading War and Peace.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I've seen both ends of the spectrum between working in a couple dealerships, my dad being in the business 30 years & buying a few cars.

The best was buying my CPO Mercedes, salesman was non-pushy, knowledgeable & just a good guy.

Similar when I bought my F150, great salesman, knew the truck & features, and low pressure. Especially when the truck I intended to buy, a CPO '14 F150 Limited turned out to be affected by the brake recall & was withdrawn from sale.
Ended up in a new '16 F150 XLT at a great price.

Yep... both ends of the spectrum.
As in any other field, you will find some people who have little or no knowledge, and some who are completely professional.
After just a few minutes, you'll probably have a good idea which type you are talking to.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asked a salesman if a showroom car was front or rear wheel drive. “No idea” was the answer.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
try to find a med to large vehicle with a column transmission shifter, Roll Eyes

you would think I was asking for a flying car

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This barely qualifies
as news
Picture of 7 Zark 7
posted Hide Post
I may be misinterpreting, but some of the responses in this thread seem to imply that some of you buy a vehicle based on whether or not the salesperson, whose turn it just so happened to be, knows as much about a specific model as you do.

Who gives a shit what the salesperson knows or don't know?

If I want a Toyota, I'll buy a Toyota. I'd never go buy a Chevrolet, for example, just because the random Toyota salesperson wasn't as well informed as the random Chevy salesperson. You don't drive the salesperson home.

So, what's your name, icy? "Stuntman Mike." Stuntman Mike's your name? "You ask anybody." Hey, Warren, who is this guy? "Stuntman Mike". And who the hell is Stuntman Mike? "He's a stuntman."

Posts: 1428 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7 Zark 7:
I may be misinterpreting, but some of the responses in this thread seem to imply that some of you buy a vehicle based on whether or not the salesperson, whose turn it just so happened to be, knows as much about a specific model as you do.

If I want a Toyota, I'll buy a Toyota. I'd never go buy a Chevrolet, for example, just because the random Toyota salesperson wasn't as well informed as the random Chevy salesperson. You don't drive the salesperson home.

No, but it will certainly make more people choose the Toyota dealership who does have the better people (all else being equal).

In my case, I was more interested in the 4Runner, but my wife was more sweet on the Tahoe. It's her car so in the end she got what she wanted. The crappy Toyota salesman didn't help my cause at all. Whatever interest my wife had in the 4Runner completely evaporated after that experience. I have to admit though, I'm very happy we ended up with the Tahoe. Much better vehicle for our needs.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope, wrong approach. If you're forcing a salesperson at a customer if they want to look at a vehicle on your lot then you either need to send them an educated sales person familiar with the vehicle they're looking at, or just send them a lot boy with the keys to the car with the understanding they're on their own. Sales people who have no idea what they're hocking, or that throw out bogus info right and left, or that attack other manufacturers products, are a detriment to the process, and a huge part of the reason many people hate the new car buying process.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
try to find a med to large vehicle with a column transmission shifter, Roll Eyes

you would think I was asking for a flying car

My F350 has a column shifter. I doesn't fly though.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't drive the salesperson home.

You might want too. Big Grin

https://www.google.com/search?...0QAg&biw=962&bih=601

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Many sales people don't know how to open the hood.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heck, most cars all you're going to see is the plastic cover over the engine.
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
99.9% of everyone out there wouldn't even know what they are looking at under the hood of a modern vehicle anyway so I don't see it as a negative for the dealer.
What are you looking for anyway? IAC motor, MAP sensor?

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I sold used cars for 20 years and tried to know as much about the cars as possible. I worked for a large insurance company and I was selling former company cars mostly. We tended to buy the same year after year and they were pretty easy to keep up with. We got other cars from time to time from our lease company and I always drove them and learned as much about them as I could.

I remember one guy who was looking for a used GM and he would only buy one if the transmission was made at a particular factory. This could only be determined by crawling under and looking for a code on the transmission. It was not coded into the VIN. I told him he was welcome to look. but I wasn't going to. This was when I still wore a suit to work.

I sold almost 4,000 cars in my 20 years and most of my clients were repeats or referrals so I must have done something right.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weiser09:
heck, most cars all you're going to see is the plastic cover over the engine.
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
99.9% of everyone out there wouldn't even know what they are looking at under the hood of a modern vehicle anyway so I don't see it as a negative for the dealer.
What are you looking for anyway? IAC motor, MAP sensor?

This, on most cars all you see are plastic covers and cannot even see the engine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post