SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How's Your Car Running?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's Your Car Running? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
"How's your car running?"

I have no idea what made me think of this. When I was young and owned a succession of thoroughly used cars and trucks, that was about the first question two young men asked upon meeting.

How's your car running?

Pretty good. It was running shitty, but I put a new set of plug wires on it and it's really running good now. How 'bout yours?

Good, man, just need some front tires and I'll be set.

Memories

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two cruise ins this weekend. Common question. Smile

Not bad actually. Need to fix the wipers, fan isn't blowing like it should, still got the front end project to do... but it runs fine! Big Grin

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had similar conversations with my high school age kids. Definition of a good car when I was a kid was that it started MOST of the time. They have a different baseline now. For what its worth, we had a Datsun B210 that my sister would try to start and I would then spray that can stuff right into the carburetor. Most of the time, ha.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The question now is How is your Health? Followed by" you look good," which is a euphemism for you look really old.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
we had a Datsun B210

My sister had one of those. In green it looked like a big fat banana.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Like the wimmin I'm trying to date.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Like the wimmin I'm trying to date.
Big Grin Sorry to hear about your backfiring issues. Big Grin

For the wimminfolk

For your vehicle

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcolaBig Grinefinition of a good car when I was a kid was that it started MOST of the time. They have a different baseline now.

You've got that right! Nostalgia aside, the cars today are FAR more reliable than anything back then.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yeah man... Good times! That's a very interesting observation. One's car at that age was likely one's only possession. And more importantly, it represented freedom. In many ways, it was independence in a transition to adulthood.

My 77 VW bus is running ok. The heater is nonexistent. But I just drive really fast with the window cranked down, and then I crank it up. I feel warm for the rest of the drive. But it's so cold the batteries in my boom box won't work. So no tunes till spring.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
How's my car running? The one I always park facing downhill a little bit so I can bump/push start it? It runs fine after that.

(That was an old car I had ~20 years ago. My current one runs fine.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Two are running great, the other is barely running. Modern cars aren't bulletproof.
BMW - silky smooth inline six. All good. Slight valve cover leak.
Honda - 4 cylinder/electric hybrid that won't die. No matter what we do to it.
Nissan - VQ35DE engines apparently like to consume copious amounts of oil, at times. I'm chasing the symptoms around, hoping to find the cause. Maddening.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Runs good, handles better now that I installed a 28mm anti-sway bar in the rear where there wasn't one and replaced the factory 28mm front with a 34mm. Very flat and neutral through the corners and don't fell crosswinds at all. The real test will be the next time I hook up the 15,500lb toy hauler and drive in 40mph crosswinds.

Thanks for asking.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Ah yes...

Back in the days when all you needed was a rudimentary set of tools, a roll of tie-wire, some duct tape, and a can of starting fluid. You could actually crawl inside of the engine compartment and work on it yourself.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

IIRC, there was an episode where he got a Chevy/Geo Metro because it was easier to push. Big Grin

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
My car must be running pretty good. My lovely wife took it to go get some flowers about an hour ago.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post