SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog sleeps in the bed. I sleep better now?!?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog sleeps in the bed. I sleep better now?!? Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw a Husky taken out of a mini van which was freakishly large. Im talking as tall on all 4s as a Dane. He easily broke 125 pounds. People in McDonalds were coming out to see and pet him. I never seen a Husky get that large.

Friends of mine had a Husky/Wolf hybrid. She could put her paws on you shoulders. Very mellow dog, except for baying @ the moon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've three cats. Some nights none of them are on the bed. Some nights all three have been there.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with the two males having pinned my legs. When I say "pinned" I mean I literally cannot move my legs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting bunch. No dogs in our bed and rarely do they come into the house.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
My dog presses hard against my legs and causes me to get too hot. She's also got some magical way of moving me towards the edge of the bed over the course of the night, so she can have the middle. For those reasons, I had to move her back to her own bed.

Despite my previous post, she'd back in the bed with me, as I've learned her days are numbered, due to heart failure. It's nice to know I have some time to do a lot of little things to make her time left more enjoyable, to whatever extent I can. If she wants to be a bed hog, that'll be OK with me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch tv with 7 pound rosie on a pillow on my lap,
after 30 minutes she gets the boot, she generates more heat than I can tolerate.

I can't imagine sleeping with J.Henry

do you even have to use the furnace?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
We just lost our red healer Tuesday. He was the smartest dog we have ever had the pleasure of loving. He slept in bed with us EVERY NIGHT. We adopted a blue healer 8 months ago in hopes he might pick up Wingnuts ( red cattle dog ) good habits. Highway ( blue cattle dog ) has started trying to take up where Wingnut left off it's been hit or miss thus far. Our dog is a part of our family if you don't like our dog and my dog doesn't like you ? There is a good chance me or the Mrs. aren't going to like you either.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I remember back when we only had a cat. He'd sleep on the bed and I commented often if felt like a concrete block lying there. Then along came Spot. He needed to be a member of the pack. But when he took over the bed, it was more like someone had dropped a tree trunk on the bed. When you wanted more room, you put a foot under him. And he'd growl. His bed, not mine.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My 2 pit bull rescues are nice enough to let my wife and I share their bed with them at night...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
My two are crate trained. Those crates are now their dens - they put themselves to bed or come get me to put them to bed if I haven't done so by 10 - they always get a cookie at bedtime, you see. And, they will NOT let me forget their bedtime cookies.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
[QUOTE]I saw a Husky taken out of a mini van which was freakishly large. Im talking as tall on all 4s as a Dane. He easily broke 125 pounds. People in McDonalds were coming out to see and pet him. I never seen a Husky get that large.

More likely a Malamute. They are larger and stockier than a Siberian Husky..

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

My 17.5 year old cat has slept with me since she was 2. I had to sleep with the door closed prior to age 2 because she was too wild at night.

For the most part, I sleep better with her than I do when I'm traveling. What I mean is that she wakes me up a few times per night, but overall I sleep better. I spend the supermajority of the night as a side sleeper and she sleeps within arms reach. However, when I sleep on my back she thinks it's an invitation to sleep on me and prefers my belly or chest. Also, like most cats she has no qualms about walking over me if it's the shortest path to where she's going.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
Last month for my Birthday the Wife and I adopted a mixed Lab from the local Vet Clinic that also runs a small shelter. He is about 1 to 2 years old and a wonderful dog. We named him J. Henry. The cats are adjusting to him and Henry really wants to be friends with them. The Wife said he could be on the furniture, but not in the bed. Well she sure caved in real quick on that. He has been sleeping in bed with us since we brought him home. We both have sleep issues. Her's are way worse then mine. I use a CPAP and I really didn't notice any issues until Henry came. I sleep so much better now with him in the bed. I don't roll around near as much at all anymore. With my CPAP I usually wake up between 3 or 4 AM. I have no issues getting back to sleep now. Has anyone else noticed this? Mental security now that he is with me and the Wife at night.

Im 60 now and I've noticed I get up around 3-4am too ... I go to the bathroom and pee and I feel better too!

By the way, we have a black lab but our cat thinks the bed is his; he shares with us ... but he doesn't share well with Bailey.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Before we got Henry we had two of our three Cats sleeping with us in the bed. They didn't bother me, but the Wife had to start kicking them out. She would wake up with one sleeping right on her face. We have out bedroom in the basement so it is a tad cooler. Henry sleeps right in the middle and adds some nice heat. The Wife is not bothered by him at all.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Did you ask your pooch about reincarnation? Doggie has an old soul.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Did you ask your pooch about reincarnation? Doggie has an old soul.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
My two are crate trained. Those crates are now their dens - they put themselves to bed or come get me to put them to bed if I haven't done so by 10 - they always get a cookie at bedtime, you see. And, they will NOT let me forget their bedtime cookies.

Same with my Aussie. He goes into his kennel every night at 9:30 within 5 minutes or so and looks expectingly at me until I give him his treat and close the door.
I've tried to let him have run of the house at night but he is most comfortable in his own place.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Dogs are so smart, my wife, daughter and I, we generally eat dinner around 6 but even if we eat early or don't eat at the same time, after the last one eats she'll come get me and let me know it's supper time, kind of a grunt/growl type noise.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dog is a service dog & has to sleep with me because of my blood sugar. He gets hot easily so has a cooling pad on the bed. He loves that thing. I would love if he cuddled with me & he will to say goodnight but then he starts panting & lays on the pad. Partway through the night he gets off the bed where the air purifier blows out & cools off but the second he senses anything he's either back in bed or checking on me beside the bed. I definitely sleep better knowing he is watching over me. Not in a guard dog sense, he doesn't even lift his head when a stranger walks in the house. My cat is the best alert cat out there. She goes crazy wanting to go after anything that doesn't belong.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
We have two older rescue collies, a 45lb gal and a 65lb oaf, we dearly love them, and they sleep on the king bed with us every night. I think it really comforts my boy to lay against my legs, warm? yeah, but I let him, I won't have him forever, I spoil them both hopelessly, and without apology...

God Bless you folks Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post