SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it ok to discuss the Pittsburgh synagogue incident now?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is it ok to discuss the Pittsburgh synagogue incident now? Login/Join 
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Did a quick search and this is what I found..

Historians have classified six explanations as to why people hate the Jews:

- Economic -- "We hate Jews because they possess too much wealth and power."

- Chosen People -- "We hate Jews because they arrogantly claim that they are the chosen people."

- Scapegoat -- "Jews are a convenient group to single out and blame for our troubles."

- Deicide -- "We hate Jews because they killed Jesus."

- Outsiders, -- "We hate Jews because they are different than us." (The dislike of the unlike.)

- Racial Theory -- "We hate Jews because they are an inferior race."

--------------------------------

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
How do we fix it. How people rationalize killing Jews isn't a mystery.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
How do we fix it. How people rationalize killing Jews isn't a mystery.

Not a mystery for some but maybe for others.

We fix it (like most things) one person at a time through education / history starting in our schools.

How to do that? That is a real issue.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

People who hate Jews. Do you know one? Have you told them they're a fucker?

I work with one. He's a 63 year old Romanian. He has a passionate hatred for Jews. We're actually very good friends on the ship, but more than once I have had it out with him whenever he goes on an antisemitic rant.

The thing is, I'm his boss, so when I'm in no mood to tolerate his garbage, I shut him down pretty hard, and he has no choice but to let me have the final word. I've called him to his face many times...well, just as you suggested.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone personally know an antisemite?

It's too easy to focus on the guns portion of this, because that is where the Left goes, such that it suits their purposes.

Why don't we talk about the root cause?

People who hate Jews. Do you know one? Have you told them they're a fucker?

The one's I've come across were dimwits, as in idiots, poor/minimal education which led them down the path of believing and propagating conspiracy theories, stereotypes and falsehoods. Didn't fit any one racial and ethnic profile, they came from all over, the common root was they were dumb and bought into ridiculous ideas.

Parenting is a big key, that'll halt some of the ridiculous victim blaming, the other is being exposed to 'others'. Kids see how their parents react in moments of difficulty and adversity, they pick-up on the swearing under the breath, side comments and how they interact with other adults. Being exposed to other cultures is hugely important, you could be a kid who grew-up in a homogeneous/mono-cultural community but, do you go out in to the world with curiosity or, with a chip on your shoulder, scared and threatened by everything that's out there?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Apparently he attacked this location because they were an affiliate of Muslim importers. I guess he could have learned to love Muslims.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
And the murderous fuck will be judged "sane" while law-abiding gun owners will be collectively judged mentally ill for wanting to exercise our natural right to be armed to defend ourselves against a world filled with bad things.

Who's judging us?

Democrats, MSM, those who are too fucking stupid to figure out that we're the good guys...

Exactly!
So why should we care?
Seriously, the MSM and the Dems can go fuck themselves all week long as far as I care.
"Those that are too stupid" can join them.
And I'm totally serious, why should we care what a bunch of assholes think about us.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Apparently he attacked this location because they were an affiliate of Muslim importers. I guess he could have learned to love Muslims.

Excuse me, but I'm not certain you disapprove of his actions. Would you care to clarify this?

Kindly point out what these people were doing that justifies a death sentence.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Excuse me, but I'm not certain you disapprove of his actions. Would you care to clarify this?

Well now...that's not a leap at all. Roll Eyes

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what was wrong with this guy but the answer that pops to mind is a LOT.

His major malfunction, and the one that seems to be growing more common in our country, is the belief that if someone disagrees with you, disrespects you, irritates you, or you just don't like them because ______ then it is acceptable to just kill them.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I know exactly one overt Jew hater, and I'm pretty sure they've never even known ten Jews.

Instead they believe historical nonsense about Jewish folks being troublesome outsiders, and shady business people, and broad-sweeping junk like that.

And it's just plain old ignorance and misplaced tribalism. The fix?

Twain had the right idea, just add Communication and Experience to Travel:

quote:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The private individuals at the sermon(?) don't deserve it. The responding police officers don't deserve it. Active members of HIAS, not much sympathy. Catholic Charities are in the same boat. People who's life goal is to bring as many muslims into the country as possible know what they are doing.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
quote:

Well now...that's not a leap at all. Roll Eyes

I've simply read what he's said in the thread. Does this sound good to you?:

quote:
The private individuals at the sermon(?) don't deserve it. The responding police officers don't deserve it. Active members of HIAS, not much sympathy. Catholic Charities are in the same boat. People who's life goal is to bring as many muslims into the country as possible know what they are doing.

"Active members of HIAS, not much sympathy." It sure sounds like you get to have your cake and eat it too.

This statement is just another stripe of the attitude that caused death at that synagogue.

Perhaps people should not be bringing muslims into the country, I imagine that they believe they're helping refugees, but again, they deserve violence or death because of this?

We have the left who go straight to "ban all guns" in a situation like this, that is a "solution" that doesn't address the problem certainly. "Not much sympathy" sounds like you're not to interested in figuring out why someone would kill innocent people, because you disapprove of their actions? What the hell.

I'm all for practical things like armed guards, many churches and schools already have them.

Ultimately, you can't stop all of the extremists, crazy won't be legislated away. But how do we make sure the least number of people become antisemites, or white supremacists?

Some people, other countries, seem to think that restricting speech is the solution. I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. I'd like my racists and bigots to self identify, and if they can be reasoned with, all the better to keep lines of communication open.

Once again, I find myself in a fresh series of "discussions" with people I still know who are now calling for a ban on firearms, because one guy shot up a house of worship. Since 2016 it's been a slow and steady culling of people who call me the extremist and stop talking to me, because I believe that the right to bear arms is a human right. While on the one hand, ok good I don't have to talk to another leftist, the trend as a whole is worrisome. Shutting people out because their ideas differ, weakens society as a whole.

It seems to me that any time people are content to shut eachother out, that is the breeding ground for hate, even a small hate, like "not much sympathy."

Don't get me wrong, I don't think everyone needs to love eachother. But the idea that we all have to agree is equally stupid, and it seems a whole lot of people think that something like that is a good idea or even possible. "live and let live" works really well, as long as everyone is participating. I mean that in the traditional sense, not the lefts perverse "tolerance."

No one is born a racist or bigot. They learn it from their family, friends, the society in which they're raised. If you're marinated in hate, you're more likely to feel comfortable with mass murder. How do we manufacture the least amount of people with that programming?

Arc.

posted Hide Post
They had a meeting of the religious leaders of our community. One of the loudest protesters of guns in places of worship was the Rabbi. Our Priest carries and encourages it. He wants to have a trained security team in place.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Arc, I'm not going to blindly love a group that brings in muslims by the boat load just because they are Jews, or Catholics for that matter. I wouldn't shed a tear if Soros (a Jew) croaked either. Unaffiliated people attending for worship deserve no evil upon them, as most religious people are of good moral character. As to your question about how to have fewer racists, I'm afraid that ship has sailed when our country was built by immigrants. Humans are tribal by nature, a multifaceted group will naturally have more strife than a homogeneous one. Having a unified culture (American) would go a long way to bringing peace. Sadly the media and liberal educators refuse to believe that we have the best culture, and work tirelessly to divide the people.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm a Jew. I don't know anybody who hates me.

Being half-Irish, left-handed and a redhead earned me way more insults.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post