SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it ok to discuss the Pittsburgh synagogue incident now?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is it ok to discuss the Pittsburgh synagogue incident now? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
It's over, suspect has been caught, 8 reported dead, etc.

Or Is it still too soon? Please delete or lock if so.

Seems as though Jewish folks were the intended target, I read reports that the shooter's Twitter had anti Jew comments, too. Terrible tragedy. I'm pleased they caught the wacko.

I omitted the shooter's name on purpose. But it's all in the Beeb's article.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
HATE CRIME: 8 Dead, 6 More Injured At Synagogue Shooting
October 27, 2018

Eight people have died and more were injured after a gunman walked into the Tree of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill, PA, Saturday morning and started shooting.

Police say the man yelled, “All Jews must die,” before opening fire on the congregation, who were gathered for weekly Shabbat services and a bris. Police said people were barricaded inside after the gunman began shooting.

When police arrived, the gunman opened fire on them, injuring at least four officers, who resorted to using their vehicles as shields. The suspect, a heavy-set white male* surrendered after he was apparently injured. KDKA2, Pittsburgh, PA’s local CBS affiliate, reported SWAT team members had been talking to the suspect, who was “crawling and injured.”

“I will emphasize at this time that there appears to be no active threat to the community. We believe the subject that is responsible for this has been taken into custody,” Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said.

Hissrich said the injuries to the police officers were not life-threatening, but the two injured in the synagogue are in critical and serious condition at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital.

"It’s a very horrific crime scene. One of the worst I've seen," Hissrich said, according to NBC. "It's very bad."

Social media posts from the suspect showed he was a virulent anti-Semite, who posted this morning: “HIAS [Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society] likes to bring invaders in that kill out people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I’m going in.”

The Anti-Defamation League released a statement saying it was "unconscionable for Jews to be targeted during worship on a Sabbath morning."

"This is the deadliest attack on the Jewish community in the history of the United States," the organization added.

The FBI will be leading the investigation.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...synagogue-ashe-schow

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
As a Jew, It amazes me that most of us are anti-gun, including my family. Arm up & watch your six.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arm up & watch your six.

I don't always concealed carry... but when I do it's often at Church. I'm not Jewish, but I feel most vulnerable when I'm at Church. You never know what kind of nutcase is going to come into a Church and start shooting defenseless people. Churches and schools are very vulnerable to this sort of violence.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
As a Jew, It amazes me that most of us are anti-gun, including my family. Arm up & watch your six.

I never cease to be amazed at how many(most?) of my Jewish friends are Democratic supporters. Except for a few, including one US citizen who served in the Israeli military, it seems to be nearly as universal as African Americans.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Is the media mentioning that he was anti-Trump? I hate to "take it there" with the political angle, but if they are calling the guy that sent the fake bombs the "MAGA Bomber", it seems reasonable to me they should make mention that he hates the president.

I'll just sit here and hold my breath until the MSM does...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Guns in church?

Absolutely!!!!!!!

I have family in North Idaho. They are very active in their church. Every one of them carries. Parking attendants carry. Ushers carry. I suspect the minister also carries. One guestimate indicated that at least 50% of the congregation are armed.

And given the current state of affairs in this country, I find it somewhat puzzling that more people are not carrying. I know people who have a permit to carry but do not.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guns in church?
Absolutely!!!!!!!

The problem is that most of them, at least in suburbia, have signs like this:

-rduckwor

Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
kz1000 - I completely agree with you; it amazes me too - especially after all that has happened relatively recently on the world stage (I am speaking of Hitler)... It seems to me that the LEAST the Jews would want to do is to give themselves a fighting chance. My goodness, just a fighting chance!! Is THAT too much to ask for? (And I WILL be praying for your people)... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Trump didn’t hesitate to suggest that good guys with guns could have made a big difference. He said it several times in the same interview this morning.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://archive.fo/1gI5n

He apparently hated Jews, Muslims, and Trump.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Guns in church?
Absolutely!!!!!!!

The problem is that most of them, at least in suburbia, have signs like this:

My gun doesn't look a thing like that. I'm sure I'm ok. #concealedisinvisible.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Me too, agreed, and I am. My wife and I went to Shul last night for services.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
While I know that many places of worship are NO GUNS ZONES, but that makes them prime targets for wackos of all stripes and colors. Sometimes it is better to purposely ignore such signage if those establishments don’t provide for such security arrangements.

Just this past week, we had a wacko go off in the local Kroger grocery and kill two Black Americans after he couldn’t get into a locked all Black Church, which have armed personnel. And given the past history for Jews, I’m surprised that they don’t have better security arrangements.

Time for cliche: Better judged by twelve than carried by six.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
While I know that many places of worship are NO GUNS ZONES, but that makes them prime targets for wackos of all stripes and colors. Sometimes it is better to purposely ignore such signage if those establishments don’t provide for such security arrangements.

Just this past week, we had a wacko go off in the local Kroger grocery and kill two Black Americans after he couldn’t get into a locked all Black Church, which have armed personnel. And given the past history for Jews, I’m surprised that they don’t have better security arrangements.

Time for cliche: Better judged by twelve than carried by six.

here in Va a lot of Churches have 'woke' and have a security detail,

I've sold a lot of handguns to folks over the past few years that are buying them not just for protection, but because they want something smaller and yet powerful enough to carry in Church,

some have active groups that go to the range and practice as a group

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Don't Ask, Don't Tell - I never even blink unless it's a government building.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
Don't Ask, Don't Tell - I never even blink unless it's a government building.

Ding Ding. Bingo.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The gunman lives in the area I work. It about a 2 block walk to an elementary school. I shudder to think if he had considered that as another soft target. It’s a good drive to where the shooting occurred.

I’m now sure how LEO’s show restraint, and let the man survive with a minor gunshoot wound.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I’m now sure how LEO’s show restraint, and let the man survive with a minor gunshoot wound.

Restraint seems to be our problem here. Now the media is all in a dither about his mental health, his upbringing, his poor background, his motivation. We should not give two shits about any of this. He should be dead on the sidewalk, and an apostrophe in tomorrow's news.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And the murderous fuck will be judged "sane" while law-abiding gun owners will be collectively judged mentally ill for wanting to exercise our natural right to be armed to defend ourselves against a world filled with bad things.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post