SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seasons Beatings 2018' Womens Flat Track Roller Derby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seasons Beatings 2018' Womens Flat Track Roller Derby Login/Join 
posted
As some of you know my wife is in the WFTDA. She had her first bout (game) a month ago. As the leagues seasons wind down. They typically do two types of fun Bouts. Fresh meat, and Seasons Beatings.

The fresh meat bout is for ladies that have passed the minimum skills tests, and have been in fewer than 3 sanctioned bouts.

The Seasons Beatings is open to all skill levels and has even a couple of coed bouts. The bouts are broken up into different skills levels. Beginner, intermediate, and advanced. You can as a freshy join in the advanced. You will get tossed about more.

Who all came? Folks from Harrisonburg, Philly, Dc, N.C., N.V.A. Charlottesville. it was a nice big group.

My wife joined. She did 6 hours of various bouts. She is still on cloud nine.

Here she is warming up for the first bout of the day.

Two of her team mates. Tameka, and Kassie were warming up for the same bout. Tameka has 13 years of WFTDA exp. She started almost when the new rules were started.

Here she is as a jammer during the first bout. 505 is a team mate MSRD. Sharing her love. she is on leave for school right now. She can also squat 400lbs. Last time she blocked Charms(my wife) she knocked her bouncing out the track. Not this time.

Team mates again. Tameka, Rachel, My wife.

Here she is as the pivot (striped helmet) during the second bout. She took the star, a star pass, and is chasing down the jammer in red. This will force the jammer to call off the jam with the fewest points scored possible.

Here she is as a jammer, Green 26, versus I will race you , red 26.2.

Chasing down the other jammer again.

Coed you say? well yep. It was probably the most enjoyable bout to watch. even though i did it through the camera. So, how did the ladies do against men? Beat the living crap out of them. You can be huge. on skates you just fall harder.

Soul Reaper, here had the single best footwork of any skater that night. When i say twirled like a ballarina. I do mean that. Big, strong, Utterly gracefull on skates. Never let a blocker touch him when jamming this jam.

My wifes final bout of the day. Her 12 point jam. put this in perspective this was the intermediate level group. Filled with VA's allstar team members and a few others. At this point she had been in derby since february. It is un heard of for most ladies to transition into actual bouts in less than a year. The skills tests are that demanding. Every lady you saw in the photos above, meets those skills each season.

WFTDA minimum skills
quote:
These minimum skills are:
- Required for charter team skaters playing WFTDA sanctioned games.
- Strongly recommended for skaters playing in interleague scrimmage or games.
- Strongly recommended for skaters playing in intraleague (home) scrimmages or games.
- Recommended for new skaters to graduate to contact drills and intraleague (home league) scrimmages.
1.1 Skating posture
1.1.1 Bends at knees and hips with shoulders back.
1.1.2 Demonstrates stability, with center of gravity down and forward.
1.1.3 Demonstrates ability to skate low with bent, flexible knees.
1.2 Stride
1.2.1 Uses steady, confident, fluid strides.
1.2.2 Uses both feet to push forward on straightaways.
1.2.3 Shifts weight completely from foot to foot without stumbling.
1.3 Crossovers
1.3.1 Performs smooth crossovers while skating straightaways and track turns.
1.3.2 Uses both feet to push during crossovers.
1.3.3 Performs reverse crossovers, crossing over the right foot to the outside of the track.
1.4 Speed and endurance
1.4.1 Skates at least 27 laps around regulation track within five minutes.
1.4.2 Accelerates from a standstill to complete one lap within 13 seconds.
MINIMUM SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
FOR SKATERS
© 2013 Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) WFTDA Minimum Skills Requirements Page 3
1.5 Stops
Skater must come to a complete stop from a brisk pace within 4 seconds, using proper form and without
losing balance.
1.5.1 T-stop
1.5.1.1 Balancing weight on one leg, other foot is turned at a 90 degree angle so the
heel or arch of the turned foot is aligned with the heel of the other foot.
1.5.1.2 Maintaining balance on one leg, applies smooth pressure with the turned foot
using the two outside wheels, the two front wheels or all four wheels (does not
use only the two inside wheels).
1.5.2 Plow stop
1.5.2.1 Turns one or both feet so toes are pointing in and heels are pointing out.
1.5.2.2 Upon completion of stop, feet are in a position that would allow resumed
skating (feet are not spread so wide apart skater must adjust stance before
resuming skating).
1.6 Other skating skills
1.6.1 Performs one-foot glides with each foot for the length of the track turn and
straightaway with good balance.
1.6.1.1 In low stance with one foot completely off the floor, able to balance weight over
the other foot for at least 5 seconds.
1.6.1.2 Maintains speed sufficient to complete glide and does not flail limbs.
1.6.2 Propels self while keeping all eight wheels on the floor.
1.6.3 Moves easily and fluidly from one side of the track to the other.
1.6.3.1 Performs smooth, quick lateral cuts, crossing the track at least four times on
each straightaway and at least three times on each track turn.
1.6.4 Backwards skating within track boundaries.
1.6.4.1 Maintains moderate pace skating backward around the entire track.
Skater must perform the following falls safely, correctly and naturally. Skaters must be able to slide into
knee contact with the floor, rather than crashing onto pads. Slides should be performed from a brisk
pace without using hands or flailing arms. Recovery to a normal skating pace should be smooth and
immediate, unless noted otherwise.
2.1 Knee taps
2.1.1 Left
2.1.2 Right
© 2013 Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) WFTDA Minimum Skills Requirements Page 4
2.1.3 Performs each knee tap without coming to a complete stop.
2.1.4 Taps a single knee without breaking normal skating stride.
2.1.5 Recovers from knee tap without using hands to get up.
2.1.6 Performs two consecutive single knee taps in stride, with low recovery.
2.2 Double knee slides
2.2.1 Knees do not make contact with ground at exact same time.
2.2.2 Returns to active skating within three seconds.
2.2.3 Recovers without using hands to get up.
2.2.4 Momentum used to initiate the slide is continued into the recovery to normal skating
motion.
Skater must demonstrate the ability to perform the following tasks without losing balance, stumbling or
falling.
3.1 Standing and stepping from a standstill, maintaining control of wheels (not rolling)
3.1.1 Forward and backward.
3.1.2 Side to side in both directions.
3.1.3 Grapevine (first foot side steps, second foot steps across and in front of first foot, first
foot side steps, second foot steps behind and crosses first foot) to both the right and
left.
3.1.4 Shuffle (first foot side steps, second foot steps to meet first foot without crossing first
foot, first foot immediately side steps in a hopping motion) to both the right and left.
3.1.5 Quick steps (both feet rapidly alternate in small steps, only one foot is on the ground at
a time) in place and to the right and left.
3.1.6 Ability to balance on each foot from a stationary position at least 30 seconds.
3.2 Hopping
3.2.1 Hops over an object at least 6 inches (15 centimeters) in height without touching the
object or losing balance, while skating at a moderate pace.
3.2.2 Jumps with both feet simultaneously, but does not have to land with both feet
simultaneously.
3.2.3 Hops laterally at least 18 inches (45.5 centimeters) from a brisk forward speed.
© 2013 Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) WFTDA Minimum Skills Requirements Page 5
3.3 Focus
3.3.1 Comfortably looks left, right, and behind quickly and unexpectedly while maintaining
regular skating stride at a moderate pace.
3.4 Weaving
3.4.1 Maneuvers through 10 cones, each no more than 5 feet (1.5 meters) apart (not to
exceed 50 feet or 15 meters), placed through the straightaways and track turns, in less
than 6 seconds
3.4.2 Weaves comfortably and briskly through a moderately moving pack of skaters without
focusing on their own feet
3.5 Transitions
3.5.1 Turns 180 degrees without breaking stride, maintaining a moderate pace
3.5.1.1 Turns clockwise and counterclockwise from front to back
3.5.1.2 Turns clockwise and counterclockwise from back to front
3.5.2 Turns 360 degrees without breaking stride, from a moderate pace. Using two 180
degree turns in a row, without breaking stride, is acceptable.
Skaters must demonstrate the ability to perform the following skills legally, safely, and without losing
balance, stumbling, or falling, while skating at a moderate pace.
4.1 Whips
4.1.1 Giving and receiving arm whips.
4.1.1.1 Giving an inside whip, the initiating skater holds their right arm against their
body, providing a hand as a “handle” for the receiver to grab and pull. The
initiator does not attempt to pull from the shoulder. The initiator may use the
left hand to push the receiving skater.
4.1.1.2 Giving outside whip, the initiating skater positions body with one foot extended
in front of the other, and extends right arm to receiver. The receiving skater
grasps the initiator’s hand with their own right hand. The initiator of the whip,
using core abdominal muscles, not the shoulder muscles, pulls the receiver,
transferring momentum to the skater being whipped.
4.1.2 Taking and providing hip, belt and clothing whips.
4.1.2.1 Consistently demonstrates the ability, judgment and timing to take a whip off
another skater’s body or clothing without pulling the other skater off balance.
4.1.2.2 Consistently demonstrates the stability to provide hip and clothing whips
without getting pulled off balance.
© 2013 Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) WFTDA Minimum Skills Requirements Page 6
4.2 Pushes
4.2.1 Giving pushes
4.2.1.1 Pushes receiving skater near receiver’s center of gravity (hips or buttocks) with
ample force to provide noticeable change in receiving skater’s direction of
momentum.
4.2.1.2 Pushes are centered and even (does not turn receiving skater’s hips).
4.2.1.3 Pushes are parallel to the floor (does not push up, causing the receiver to be
pushed off their feet, or down, causing the receiver to be pushed to the floor).
4.2.1.4 Maintains form and balance before, during and after pushing receiving skater.
4.2.2 Receiving pushes
4.2.2.1 Uses momentum provided from a forward push to accelerate and begins skating
within two seconds of push.
4.2.2.2 Maintains form and balance while receiving push forward, to left and/or right.
4.3 Pacing
4.3.1 Adjusts to the variable speeds (decrease/increase) of a pace line while maintaining an
arms-length distance from other skaters without falling, tripping, overtaking or running
into another skater.
4.4 Weaving around moving obstacles
4.4.1 Demonstrates weaving through a single-file line of skaters, each an arm's length apart,
at a moderate pace.
4.5 Unexpected obstacles
4.5.1 Testing all skaters in a pack of 4-10 moving at a moderate pace. All skaters demonstrate
the ability to perform safe knee taps and slides at unexpected times in the pack. Pack
skaters must avoid the downed skater(s) without going out of bounds, falling over them
or causing unnecessary hazard.
4.5.2 Demonstrates the ability to recover balance after bumping skates or locking wheels with
another skater.
Skater must demonstrate the ability to perform the following skills without fouling other skaters while
skating at a moderate pace.
5.1 Taking hits
5.1.1 Responds safely to repeated heavy blocks without flailing or grabbing other skaters. If
the hit knocks the skater off balance, they fall safely, without sprawling, and
demonstrate an ability to recover within 2 to 4 seconds.
© 2013 Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) WFTDA Minimum Skills Requirements Page 7
5.1.2 Demonstrates the above in a pack situation, without causing an unnecessary hazard for
pack skaters.
5.2 Positional blocking and leaning (aka frontal blocking or stall blocking)
5.2.1 Performs contact with good posture and without loss of balance.
5.2.2 Demonstrates ability to lean and push on an opponent with legal blocking zones to legal
target zones while moving at moderate pack speed.
5.2.3 Demonstrate ability to plow stop in a pack without tripping other skaters in the pack.
5.2.4 Demonstrate ability to use a plow stop to slow another skater.
5.2.4.1 Must be no more than 2 feet (0.5 meters) in front of other skater.
5.2.4.2 Other skater must have demonstrated decrease in pace due to blocking skater’s
positioning and/or contact.
5.3 Checks
5.3.1 Demonstrates the ability to perform repetitive hip and body checks delivered with legal
blocking zones to legal target zones with moderate to heavy force while skating at a
brisk pace.
Pace
Brisk pace is greater than 5 laps per minute.
Moderate pace is 3-5 laps per minute.
Without breaking stride
A skater starts by striding in one direction and, using the same rhythm as established skating stride,
executes a transition and/or recovery tactic and continues skating at prior established stride without a
noticeable change in pace or rhythm.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff, DS.
One of the women at work is active in roller derby around Roanoke. We hear some interesting stories about the bouts.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I watched and followed Roller Derby back in the days when the hot player was Skinny Minny Miller

Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was quite active in WFTRD both as a NSO and a referee, actually got to attend the 2013 show in Vegas.
Its a lot of fun and something I'd love to introduce my wife to...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend was very active in roller derby for years around the Richmond and Charlottesville area.

I spent many hours watching her at the venue that is in the background of your photographs.

She also participated numerous times in the Season Beatings bout both as fresh meat and as a regular.

It is definitely interesting, and since I like to people watch so you definitely get to see some interesting characters at these events.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mrapteam666, are you still in the area? Is she still in derby?

SJP I help out as an nso running the scoreboard for msrd. I took pics this time simply because it would put on by River City RD. It was the first real set of bouts I have been able to watch since the wife joined. Everything else has been on the wftda youtube channel.

It was a fun time for all. Derby community is all about "you can". I think sometimes life gets people so beaten down that they get in this rut that they can't do x. Derby is not that way. They go out of their way to encourage, guide, train, role model for other ladies. They say " yes you can, we will get you there".

Here is Blaxican Ninja jamming. She did extremely well in that roll. quick, agile, took quite a few hits from Rachel up above.

When she was not in a bout, she was reffing. Her seat was right next to me at turn 3. Fantastic lady. It was great to meet her.

Later on here she is with Soul Reaper.

She hit him so hard that she popped him off his feet into the air and out of bounds.

Here is another MSRD lady green, dodging a block in red. Greens momentum is stopped as seen by her toe stops.

Red then sails right on by.

This smile is what the night was like for everyone.

My wife dodging a hip chase on 1 skate while jamming.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Post a video if you got on. I'd be interested to see what they actually do at a roller derby. I have no clue what the goal is (is there a goal)?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Post a video if you got on. I'd be interested to see what they actually do at a roller derby. I have no clue what the goal is (is there a goal)?

This is champ's in NoLa this year. NYC vs Portland. Game 10.

There are 5 players per team on the track. 3 blockers, 1 pivot (striped helmet) one jammer (starred helmet)

Blockers typically will work on keeping the other jammer tied up.

Pivot is the safety of this game. They can accept the star from the jammer if the other teams blockers have her penned up. The pivot is also the offense for the jammer to help break her through.

The jammer is the one who scores points. 1 point for every hip her hip passes. 4 points per lap total after the first full lap around the track.

Back blocks are initiating contact with other players from behind.

Forarm's are for initiating contact with your forarm on another player.

Track cut is not entering back into the track behind the last opposing player ahead of you.

posted Hide Post
Where have I been? I had NO idea.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I watched and followed Roller Derby back in the days when the hot player was Skinny Minny Miller

Smile

Gwen is some where in this mix from 1974......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqlaBc3yKM

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Seriously, I haven't even heard about it since Sanford & Son was on. Big Grin A little earlier than that, I remember watching it on Saturday afternoons or evenings, on the black & white TV that only got three channels and had to be beaten on to keep the picture from rolling.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
World wide, 450-500 leagues. In those leagues, a team may have an A, B, C team. It is growing. A hell of alot more enjoyable to watch than women's golf or basketball.

It really has 0 correlation to the traveling road shows of the late 50-early 70's. Those were mostly shows put on. They were on a banked track.

In the early 2000's Flat track derby started up. It allowed for low entry costs. Any type of hard surface flooring that was flat. A track could be set up and practice commenced. The rules have grown up well. The strategy, and skills in the game are there. It is not a bashem to hell, broken ribs, blood and guts sport.

It is full contact, but skill wins the game, strategy wins the tournaments.

https://wftda.com/wftda-leagues/

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Anybody remember Judy Arnold?

Whatever happened to the banked rinks?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Anybody remember Judy Arnold?

Whatever happened to the banked rinks?

Banked rings are expensive to build, cause greater injuries, and terrible maintenance hogs.

posted Hide Post
yeah yeah, dragging up the thread again. Sadly taking the photos of the derby reignited my love for taking pictures.

Shooter sports complex has some limiting light and my older 7d was just not cutting it iso 5k with a 1/500th stop.

I found a good deal on a 6dMKII with battery grip. So I took it out to open skate the other night.

I took a few shots of the wife in really low light.

The shots above were with the 7d iso 5000, 1/500th and f2.8

These are with the 6dmkII iso 12800 1/250th f2.8

My favorite of the night.