SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need input on HVAC equipment and pricing quotes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need input on HVAC equipment and pricing quotes Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What size is the furnace?

BTW, the 600 has the automatic humidity control.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Skip the Goodman quote. If one thing is for sure, it's hard to find a competent installer... even harder to find one who sells Goodman. They are out there, but you'll look for a long time to locate one. As most competent companies don't want to get an automatic label (bad rep) for selling Goodman.
Interesting. The three largest HVAC companies in Central Florida, who I would argue do the lion's share of new installs, 'all' carry and install Goodman equipment. I would rate all three arrogant and over pricing, but very competent. Guess things are rather different where you live.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
You might also want to reconsider space heating/cooling with a lot of bells and whistles, it is just more "stuff" that can go wrong with it, and makes your repair guy a lot of extra money in my opinion. My house is ~1200 square feet, and a 70,000 btu furnace with a 2 ton AC unit works very well for me. Furthermore, my furnace is a plain Jane 90% efficiency. I'm retired from a well known to you major gas distribution company here in MI, and did service work on all types of gas appliances.

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Skip the Goodman quote. If one thing is for sure, it's hard to find a competent installer... even harder to find one who sells Goodman. They are out there, but you'll look for a long time to locate one. As most competent companies don't want to get an automatic label (bad rep) for selling Goodman.
Interesting. The three largest HVAC companies in Central Florida, who I would argue do the lion's share of new installs, 'all' carry and install Goodman equipment. I would rate all three arrogant and over pricing, but very competent. Guess things are rather different where you live.

Unfortunately, it costs a lot of money to run a large trade company these days. Insurance, workmans comp, health insurance, liability insurance and on and on are expensive if you have multiple techs/employees, so they have to charge to make a profit.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately, it costs a lot of money to run a large trade company these days. Insurance, workmans comp, health insurance, liability insurance and on and on are expensive if you have multiple techs/employees, so they have to charge to make a profit.
I'm not going to debate the merits of these three particular companies business plans. Their reviews on social media tell the tale far better than I ever could.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:

70k btu 96% two stage. Our old one was 69k 80%.

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
You might also want to reconsider space heating/cooling with a lot of bells and whistles, it is just more "stuff" that can go wrong with it, and makes your repair guy a lot of extra money in my opinion. My house is ~1200 square feet, and a 70,000 btu furnace with a 2 ton AC unit works very well for me. Furthermore, my furnace is a plain Jane 90% efficiency. I'm retired from a well known to you major gas distribution company here in MI, and did service work on all types of gas appliances.

I think this one has been in use for a while. It’s mostly just the new style motor all seem to be going to, aside from the high efficiency format. Having the chimney as pvc seems so strange.

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not going to debate the merits of these three particular companies business plans. Their reviews on social media tell the tale far better than I ever could.

Goodman may work great for a lot, but my parents went through 3 compressors on theirs before it started working right. That killed it for me even if it was a fluke.
Overall I think this contractor did the best estimate on top of price. I’ll be looking forward to comparing gas bills this winter.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goodman may work great for a lot, but my parents went through 3 compressors on theirs before it started working right. That killed it for me even if it was a fluke.
Overall I think this contractor did the best estimate on top of price. I’ll be looking forward to comparing gas bills this winter.

Goodman is hit or miss. They’re about the cheapest units available. A great installer can’t make up for lower quality. Trane has the lowest failure rate in the industry. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or misinformed. But of course you’ll pay for Trane. I would find a great installer who will also install American Standard. Same company as Trane (Ingersoll Rand) but not quite as expensive.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goodman is hit or miss. They’re about the cheapest units available. A great installer can’t make up for lower quality. Trane has the lowest failure rate in the industry. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or misinformed. But of course you’ll pay for Trane. I would find a great installer who will also install American Standard. Same company as Trane (Ingersoll Rand) but not quite as expensive.

I had a Goodman I bought in 2007 ish. 3 years old the condensing unit started leaking at a weld. I had it braised and in 2015 it started leaking at a tube on the condenser that cracked. It was R 22 and I junked it and went to another brand. Once and done.....same with Rheem. Personally I only buy American Standard or Trane for my properties.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I had a Goodman I bought in 2007 ish. 3 years old the condensing unit started leaking at a weld. I had it braised and in 2015 it started leaking at a tube on the condenser that cracked. It was R 22 and I junked it and went to another brand. Once and done.....same with Rheem. Personally I only buy American Standard or Trane for my properties.

I see a lot of Goodman units that leak from the factory brazing or holes that have been worn in the lines by rubbing against themselves. Especially in their packaged units. I think their biggest problem is that they seem to be hastily manufactured.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I had a Goodman. Found it easy to work on and easy to get parts for. I did replace a lot of parts over 12 years:

-Inducer vac switch
-Hot surface ignitor
-Flame sensor
-Board
-Blower motor
-Inducer

All of the above was ~$500 in parts free labor cause I know how to diagnose and fix stuff. All above parts were available for pickup at R.E. Michels and/or Amazon prime. Probably $2,500 in retail repairs, maybe more over 12 years. Seems excessive to me, over ~$200 a year or more in maintenance.

Out of curiosity, Excam or any HVAC techs, what would the above repairs cost on a furnace if each repair was a separate trip?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I had a Goodman. Found it easy to work on and easy to get parts for. I did replace a lot of parts over 12 years:

-Inducer vac switch
-Hot surface ignitor
-Flame sensor
-Board
-Blower motor
-Inducer

All of the above was ~$500 in parts free labor cause I know how to diagnose and fix stuff. All above parts were available for pickup at R.E. Michels and/or Amazon prime. Probably $2,500 in retail repairs, maybe more over 12 years. Seems excessive to me, over ~$200 a year or more in maintenance.

Out of curiosity, Excam or any HVAC techs, what would the above repairs cost on a furnace if each repair was a separate trip?

I have a 2 ton Rheem at one place that was installed in 2010 and has nickeled and dimed me a lot more than that......3 blower motors, the condenser fan motor, several capacitors...…..etc.....

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
My last Bryant (i.e. Carrier) Evolution system, the system to end all AC systems according to the salesman, and a system that was insanely expensive, went through three compressors, two or three hard start kits, and two circuit boards during the time I had it. The only fond memory I have of that machine was the extended warranty which about got worn out right up to the point I junked that system. According to two HVAC repair techs I know, use, and trust, 'all' new HVAC systems are cheaply made and not built for long term service like the older machines were. I know of numerous people who've installed Goodman systems locally, and to date, haven't heard of any issues anyone has or is having with them. That would tend to jive with the market reports I researched online before installing my current Goodman heat pump system last year.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trane has the lowest failure rate in the industry. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or misinformed.
Instead of conjecture, can you provide us with some industry or market related data to back up those claims? When I tried to research the topic of reliability by brand before buying a new system last year, Tranes reliability didn't appear to be any better than a number of the other big brands, and in some cases, not as good. If you've run across info I haven't, please share.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's new construction and not retrofits.
Different animal.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

70k btu 96% two stage. Our old one was 69k 80%.

Increase in efficiency allows for a smaller furnace.
69k 80% = 55,200 btu
70k 96% = 67,200 btu (too large)

60k 96% = 57,600 btu

posted Hide Post
quote:

A great installer can’t make up for lower quality. Trane has the lowest failure rate in the industry. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or misinformed.

Bullshit. Trane is not superior to a great installer/service tech.
Show me a system with multiple failures and you'll have yourself a jacked up install.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

-Inducer vac switch
-Hot surface ignitor
-Flame sensor
-Board
-Blower motor
-Inducer

Hard to know without a model number.

BTW, flame sensors don't need to be replaced unless the porcelain is broke.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
A couple of points..

- I’m surprised you were even quoted a 13 SEER system as these don’t even meet current building code minimums...I would suggest something in the 15-17 SEER rating

- agree that a 3 ton unit is probably too large for you size home.

- have you looked at your attic insulation? In your area I would recommend at least R-50

- a Manual J load calculation is the only way to go. I would never consider replacing a unit without doing one (and ask to see it so that you know it was done).

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6304 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post