SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunset has bronchitis-Any forum members had this monster?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunset has bronchitis-Any forum members had this monster? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I felt better today, but still very short of breath.
Like 20 paces, stop and catch my breath short.

Went to my physician, she wanted to start me on steriods, but first had to make sure there were no blood clots in my lungs.
So, I went to the hospital and had a lung scan, and will start steriods tomorrow.

She is concerned that my case of bronchitis has lasted way too long, but probably my immune system has lots to do with that too.

I had gone to the ER 3 1/2 weeks ago for extreme hypertension, and was having shortness of breath when I went. But feared that had to do witn my heart, not thinking of bronchitis.

I stayed in the hospital 2 days bringing my BP under control, left , but had to return 4 days later when it escalated again but was released from the ER.

All this time still having shortness of breath, and extreme mucus. So basically, I have had this for close to a month, fearing it going into pneumonia. Yesterday was a new low.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also used to get severe Bronchitis when I was young, ended up in an oxygen tent on several occasions. When I got to High School and started running for Football and Wrestling I stopped getting Bronchitis. Then after about 25 years of smoking that started in college I started getting Bronchitis anytime I had a cold. Two years ago I started walking, some jogging, and daily cardio on an Elliptical Trainer and I haven't had Bonchitis once.

Not even least week when I got hit so hard with the Flue that I lost 5 lbs. in 18 hours. Average Heart Rate during that 18 hours ranged between 110 and 125 bpm. Fortunately I was just barely under teh wire for effective treatment with Timiflu and today I was well enough to do a light 3 mile "run" on an Elliptical while maintaining a targeted HR of 125 bpm. Right now I feel damn good.

Now, some specifics about Bronchitis, it isn't a disease, it is a SYMPTIOM. As such it can be triggered by a multitude of factors.

One is the disease known as COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Bronchitis is a PRIMARY symptom of COPD. BTW, the most effective treatment for COPD is Aerobic Exercise, such as working on an Elliptical Trainer or a Treadmill. Folks note the HINT. Also note that I have moderate COPD and don't get Bronchitis anymore because I exercise daily. So I really do know firsthand that exercise works well to treat COPD. BTW, before I got hit with the Flu my VO2 Max was at 38. Anyone with COPD ask your doctor what it means if someone with COPD has a VO2 Max of 38. He will probably tell you it isn't possible. However it is possible if you dedicate yourself to daily exercise.

The second trigger for Bronchitis is Influensa. In fact chest congestion is one of the key indicators for the Flu. BTW, my doctor told me it takes THREE weeks before the Flu Vaccine can be considered fully effective which is why I caught the damned Flu TWO weeks after I was vaccinated. Good news is that if you are quick to see the doctor within 48 hours of the onset of treatment Tamiflu is normally effective at limiting the duration and severity of the Flu. However miss that 48 hour window and Tamiflu won't provide any benefit. Please take note of this, if you feel you are getting sicker than typical for a simple Cold you need to get to the doctor ASAP. Don't even wait 12 hours, if your doctor can't see you on that day get yourself to Urgent Care. I will also note with the Flu chest congestion will produce simple thin mucous that may irritate the bronchial passages and throat. If you are coughing up yellow, green, bloody or black crud you have Bronchitis and a Secondary Infection that is typically bacterial. Fail to recognize this early enough and you can end up in the Hospital or Morgue. To be Blunt only a FOOL tries to Tough Out the Flu.

The third trigger for Bronchitis is Viral and usually the Common Cold. Note, Bronchitis as a response to a Cold in an older individual is usually an indicator of COPD. In someone between 20 and 35 it usually goes hand in hand with the habit of smoking. Quite simply smoking impares lung function, can cause Asthma which then leads to Bronchitis. In someone under 14 it's usually an immune system over response similar to Asthma and typically out grown.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
I hope you get better soon.

My advice would be to take it easy, and keep a vaporizor going around you all the time, particularly when sleeping. I'm talking about a hot steam vaporizor, not a humidifier. Mentholatum or Vicks vapor rub can help too. Put a little around your nostrils (not inside). Practice breathing exercises: breath in deep and exhale forcefully and fast.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

My advice would be to take it easy, and keep a vaporizor going around you all the time, particularly when sleeping. I'm talking about a hot steam vaporizor, not a humidifier. Mentholatum or Vicks vapor rub can help too. Put a little around your nostrils (not inside). Practice breathing exercises: breath in deep and exhale forcefully and fast.

Good advice, yesterday I felt better, today I am back to feeling like crap.

Have a humidifier, will get a vaporizor. I have been running the hunidifier for weeks now.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I used to get it every year when I was a young boy. It was always during school from 4th to 8th grade. Had to be hospitalized for about 2 weeks each time. I had the oxygen tent, shots, breathing treatments. The worst part was not being able to take a breath and panicking which only makes it worse.

I imagine it would be far, far worse at my age now.

I hope you feel better quickly.

Yeah, I used to get it every year, too, when I was around 10-14. Do not recall ever going to the doctor for it. Just toughed it out, but it didn't seem so bad then. Sore throat, coughing. AIR, was over it in a few days.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

Good advice, yesterday I felt better, today I am back to feeling like crap.

Have a humidifier, will get a vaporizor. I have been running the hunidifier for weeks now.

Are you feeling any better? I hope so.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During the years I smoked (17 years) I would come down with Bronchitis twice each year. Spring and Autumn. Each year.

I quit smoking. No more semi annual Bronchitis.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have fought this thing several times in the past few years. Allergies evolve into bronchitis and a cough that lasts for weeks. My doc gives me Prednisoneand it helps

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Have been diagnosed with chronic bronchitus along with my emphysema. It's a meanie that's for sure.

Before you ask the next question, It's NO I do NOT take the flu shot.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Hello all.

I am somewhat better, my doctor started me on steroids to boost my immune system on the 20th, and to help the antbiotics.

I am not having the extreme shortness of breath as I did, but still not 100%.
My bronchitis did not include coughing.
If I lay down flat to sleep, I still get clogged up with mucus, so I've been sleeping in my oversized recliner for about a week now.

My legs and feet are badly swollen, from fluid buildup, either from my new BP meds, or perhaps the antibiotics & steroid combo. This morning was my last dosage of steroid, I'm glad to get off that stuff.

As I've stated in my original post, having bronchitis at my age, compared to going through chemo/radiation at age 52, never been as sick. This was worse than any flu.

I think if you are young and have a strong immune system, its not as severe.

I appreciated everyone's imput , not ever having bronchitis before, All the info helped.

美しい犬

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago I had a horrible cough and occasional chills. After 3 weeks I finally went to see my GP. She diagnosed my problem as a sinus infection. I was amazed – hadn't felt any sinus pain at all. Antibiotics cleared my problem in about a week.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8922 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Something bad going around the midwest this month.

It seems there's "something bad going around" frequently, of late.

quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I got it about 3 weeks ago and it settled in my lungs.

Solution is to not let it get that far.

As soon as my sinuses start acting up I begin an escalating counter-attack. Start with saltwater nasal rinses two times a day, plus Claritin and NasalCrom. Max escalation is the nasal rinses, plus Flonase and Zyrtec-D, plus ten minutes "steaming my head" up to twice-a-day.

I'll take NyQuil at night, if necessary, and use Vicks Sinex nasal spray to relieve nasal congestion if I must.

"Steaming my head" is boiling a pot of water, throw in some chamomile, start a ten-minute timer, tent my head over it with a towel, breath in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Years and years ago I kept getting sick. It would start in the sinuses, and end up with one of sinus, ear or lung infection. Once I switched to the above regimens: Never needed antibiotics again.

quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Now, some specifics about Bronchitis, it isn't a disease, it is a SYMPTIOM. As such it can be triggered by a multitude of factors.

One is the disease known as COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Bronchitis is a PRIMARY symptom of COPD. BTW, the most effective treatment for COPD is Aerobic Exercise, such as working on an Elliptical Trainer or a Treadmill. Folks note the HINT. Also note that I have moderate COPD and don't get Bronchitis anymore because I exercise daily. So I really do know firsthand that exercise works well to treat COPD. BTW, before I got hit with the Flu my VO2 Max was at 38. Anyone with COPD ask your doctor what it means if someone with COPD has a VO2 Max of 38. He will probably tell you it isn't possible. However it is possible if you dedicate yourself to daily exercise.

Word up!

My VO2 Max was tested two years ago, at age 64. I had been diagnosed with mild COPD a year or two before that. My VO2 Max was 37.6 and my Anaerobic Threshold was 147 BPM. That AT was 9 BPM higher than it had been several years before and a full 12 BPM higher than it had been (by observation estimate) at age 54.

I quit a one-pack-a-day smoking habit at age 60.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post