SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunset has bronchitis-Any forum members had this monster?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunset has bronchitis-Any forum members had this monster? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Somehow, some way, I developed bronchitis...about a week and half after taking the flu shot..

Short of breath, fatigue, chills. Mucus,mucus, mucus...it's not letting up, going on two weeks, going back to the doctor tomorrow.

Worst I have been in a long time.

Any forum members had it, and how you dealt with it?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Been a bad respiratory deal making the rounds here in Jerkwater. I caught it about 3 weeks ago and am almost over it. Just toughed it out because I was afraid to go to the local quack and catch something worse.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It can last for weeks, don't try and over exert yourself. It sucks

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I used to get it all the time.

When I got it, I would immediately start taking over the counter "Mucus Relief DM", a generic version of Mucinex, with guaifenesin and dextromethorphan

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/...lief-dm-oral/details

If after a few days its not getting better Id go to the Dr. and have them see if it was viral or bacterial, then sometimes he'd prescribe me a Z-pack...Zithormax/azithromycin. That would usually sort it out, along with copious rest.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I Used to get it all the time .Antibiotics used to kill it. But last year it hung on. A friend of mine told me to try Raw Garlic. You take a clove of garlic raw and swallow it like a pill. 2 days and it was gone.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that you did not get bronchitis from getting the flu shot. It takes minimum 2 weeks for the flu shot to become effective. However depending on the strain of bronchitis you have it may have a incubation period of a few hours to 1 week. So within the last week have you been anywhere that may have had an sick people ?
Your doctor should be giving you some antibiotics for it. You may feel sluggish for about month or more. I had a very bad case of bronchitis a few years ago that was bordering pneumonia and it took strong antibiotics and about a month an a half of rest to completely get over it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I used to get it every year when I was a young boy. It was always during school from 4th to 8th grade. Had to be hospitalized for about 2 weeks each time. I had the oxygen tent, shots, breathing treatments. The worst part was not being able to take a breath and panicking which only makes it worse.

I imagine it would be far, far worse at my age now.

I hope you feel better quickly.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
When I get it, it leaves me coughing for a couple months. Prednisone helps, but they never give me a long enough course of it to really knock it out.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It seems that I get it just about every winter.
I just started seeing a pulmonologist that thinks he can help me get through these winters. It doesn't help that every kid in my class is coughing or sneezing all period. Being in an enclosed classroom, I'll get it sooner or later.
No way you got it from the flu shot.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Both my wife and I came down with it in early 2015 just as we were leaving on our Dixieland cruise. It was awful, playing tuba, with this lung disease AND bronchitis.

I understand our cabin attendant was accused to stealing boxes of Kleenex to sell on the black market, and fired. I guess the ship didn’t believe that the two of us had used that many boxes in a week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I used to get it every year when I was a young boy. It was always during school from 4th to 8th grade. Had to be hospitalized for about 2 weeks each time. I had the oxygen tent, shots, breathing treatments. The worst part was not being able to take a breath and panicking which only makes it worse.

I imagine it would be far, far worse at my age now.

I hope you feel better quickly.

Thank you.

This shortness of breath is working on me. My doctor gave me antibiotics, as I thought I had a sinus infection. I realize they don't work for some bronchitis cases, but I am glad I am taking them.

This has been very dehabilitating for me,my wife had corrective hand surgery last week on her right hand, me being sick and not being functional to help her is not good.

I am not sure where I could have picked this up. I just know it has wiped me out.

Never had bronchitis before. My only refuge is going to bed.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
A steroid inhaler helps me get over it. He coughing irritated my airway and it builds on itself. The steroid inhaler helps reduce the coughing so I can get better more quickly.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Another trick to help you breathe: put a couple drops of eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball in a bowl or cup. Leave it in your bathroom with the door shut, let the scent percolate a bit. After about 10-15 minutes, go in and take a hot shower.

I used the eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball in my sauna when I had it and was super congested from my sinuses to my lungs.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have to try the Garlic and Eucalyptus oil suggestions myself! I like hot baths with Epson Salts with Eucalyptus so I think the straight oil would do well to.

I had "Chronic Bronchitis" and went a couple times yearly for a dose of Anti-Biotics. Finally I got referred to a Pulmonologist that correctly diagnosed it as mild asthma and gave me inhaled cortico steroids that control it pretty well. I think maybe there are more people with mild asthma that are incorrectly diagnosed as chronic Bronchitis and are given too many antibiotics like I was. Moral one, see a Pulmonologist if you keep getting Bronchitis!

Allergies are what usually set off Bronchitis for me and this year something would put me into sneezing fits. I couldn't stop sneezing for an hour or two at a time, even at home where I had HEPA filters going.

What cured it at home might not be for everyone but it certainly helped me. It's the new type of air filter from MoleKule.

https://molekule.com

For starters, they are Stupid expensive. No way around it. They should be 1/5th what they cost but right now there aren't any generic replacements. But putting one in the same spot I had a solid HEPA filter took me from sneezing 20-30times an evening in my bedroom to ZERO. The things don't just filter the air, they filter the air and use UV or something to actually Destroy the mold, pollen etc. instead of just catching it.

As expensive as they are I can only recommend it for people who have tried everything else and still have allergy or breathing problems but for me $7-800 was worth not missing days of work being laid up with red eyes and sneezing all night. If you can afford one they might be just the thing to help you breath at home. They also help a LOT with snoring.

You can look on You-Tube and find a couple reviews that have links with $75 off coupons that help a bit with the price.

Anyway maybe some peoples insurance can help with the cost, I dunno. I just know that for me they were well worth it.............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I have found it can help to sleep elevated with one or two pillow wedges. We buy ours from Boscovs.com during their Black Friday sales and keep them in reserve for flu season.

https://www.boscovs.com/shop/p...705.htm?fromsearch=1

I also use an essential oil diffuser with a few drops of breathe or the equivalent.

I hope you get better soon.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for your information.

The only other time in my life I have felt as destroyed, was when I was going through chemo and radiation treatments at age 52.

At age 65, this bout with bronhitis is as bad.

美しい犬

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've had it

twice

once you get it - and the first time really does suck - along with the searing throat pain, you are more likely to develop it again

I was on an antibiotic plan for 10 days and I could feel the meds work after the second day but it still took a bit more than 2 weeks for me to recover

it does drain you

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Something bad going around the midwest this month. I got it about 3 weeks ago and it settled in my lungs. It has been getting better but I still have mucous and a couch. I was using Cough medicine with expectorant which seemed to work pretty well. M doctor tells me the cough is taking upwards of a month plus to clear up.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Annually. Z pack finally clears it up when I'm tired of having it and the doctor wants to cooperate.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife gets a prescription from the Dr. that she uses in her electric inhaler. It comes in dosage sizes and you put in one dose and it gets used up in about 5 minutes of breathing it.

It really does the trick.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post