SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Greater Houston area members, please check in (This is a thread about our friends, not the storm)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greater Houston area members, please check in (This is a thread about our friends, not the storm) Login/Join 
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
We got about 10" in the house. It's drained but we're still flooded in...otherwise we're fine - much better off than others.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Looks like my final rain fall total at my house is at 53", it's coming down in a drizzle but hopefully no measurable accumulation from here. Amazingly no water in my house with all that rain. In my city they estimate 3000 houses are flooded with 2/3 that do not have flood insurance. It is going to be bad for a lot of people for a long time but I do not need anything. Already had a forum member offer assistance and I am grateful for this group.

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
This just in from a friend in Katy: Water is back at the curb for now but... "Will have to establish a criminal perimeter now. Looters are posing as FEMA or county officials telling people they have to evacuate and when you leave they rob you.

The slim is coming out of the storm."

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
This just in from a friend in Katy: Water is back at the curb for now but... "Will have to establish a criminal perimeter now. Looters are posing as FEMA or county officials telling people they have to evacuate and when you leave they rob you.

IIRC, Texas laws allow for use of deadly force to protect either people or property.

Maybe its time to lock and load.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Looks like my final rain fall total at my house is at 53", it's coming down in a drizzle but hopefully no measurable accumulation from here. Amazingly no water in my house with all that rain. In my city they estimate 3000 houses are flooded with 2/3 that do not have flood insurance. It is going to be bad for a lot of people for a long time but I do not need anything. Already had a forum member offer assistance and I am grateful for this group.

I spent five years in Friendswood and I can imagine my old house was flooded. Glad you made it thru dry.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

IIRC, Texas laws allow for use of deadly force to protect either people or property.

Maybe its time to lock and load.

RMD

Its past time to take up arms. Looters were shooting at rescue boat or attempting to commit piracy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

I spent five years in Friendswood and I can imagine my old house was flooded. Glad you made it thru dry.

RMD

Every home I've seen by one of the creeks is flooded. I thought TS Allison was bad, it was nothing compared to this.

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sadly some of this happens after storms. It is a reminder that there is a reason for law enforcement, and that some people do not respect social order. The drug distribution network is disrupted after events such as these, and it pays to be careful. My experience, however was that many people volunteered their time and helped out their neighbors. It outweighed the criminal element.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Wonder how the Galleria Mall area is doing. I was born in Houston on Meadowlake Lane near there some 7 decades ago.

The new house on our lot was a 3 story $6,000,000 sale. Second floor should be good.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
HK Ag sitting all good in S.Tomball/Champions/Lakewood area

Posts: 3501 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I feel guilty saying this with all the misery and suffering across the city but things in the Woodlands are pretty normal.

JHE and Anarion, I am saddened at your situations but glad you are both well.

Just watched a very impressive press conference with Mayor Turner and Chief of Police Acevedo. Its very clear that they care about the city and the people. The Chief got really pissed off on the topic of looters and he seemed determined to make sure its kept to a minimum.

The chief also had some not so favorable words for whichever "news outlet" today released the name of the officer that drowned on Sunday before his family was notified. He said that many other reporters had the same information but put their humanity ahead of their jobs. That also impressed me. Does anyone know which media outlet he was talking about?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
All good here in Deer Park, slightly East of Houston. We actually couldn't have really asked for a better outcome here at my place. Water never got much past the property line, if it did at all, and lost a few tree limbs that fell harmlessly in the backyard.

I've been driving the area since Saturday afternoon looking for people to help. Have pulled a few stalls to higher ground and helped a few people who got in too deep but weren't stalled navigate out of streets holding water.

Also, for those wanting to help out or even just monitor, grab the Zello app and add the Texas Navy and Cajun Navy channels. Pretty intense over the past couple of days, especially last night with idiots trying to steal rescue boats about 15 minutes North of my house.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
We are at my sister's house with all cars. The house is flooded with several feet of water, and we won't be able to get near it for several days. But, I have my health.

JHE888, I am saddened by this news. If I can help from a thousand miles away, please ask.

There is one question I am sure the membership wants to know - did you manage to save the hookers and blow?

They bug out early.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
There was a lull in the storm Monday morning so I gave my neighbor a key and evacuated several hundred miles north.

Neighbors informed me that my house did NOT flood, and neither did any of my neighbors. It came over the curb but didn't cross the sidewalk. My neighborhood was and remains an island cutoff. Power came back on this morning so my house was without power for 36 hours.

The neighborhood next to us (closer to Spring Creek) flooded and there were both boat rescues and military helicopter rescues.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any members in the Houston area familiar with conditions around NRG Stadium, Women's Hospital, and Old Spanish Trail???

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is one question I am sure the membership wants to know - did you manage to save the hookers and blow? quote

They bug out early. quote
--------------------------------------------

They will return in droves once the waves of construction workers hit town. Lots of cash money to spend on these things. Count on it.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
We are ok here in Katy. Neighborhoods all around us have flooding but dry at our house. Thanks for the support of the forum.

They are releasing the water from the Addicks and Barker reservoirs. Are you ok, where you are? I see a lot of houses already flooded, and water is starting to spill onto Katy Fwy.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's good news, tator...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
That's good news, tator...
Sure was.

My buddy in the next neighborhood over (even further ftom Spring Creek than mine) gave me a scare. He texted this morning that he flooded overnight. I called to offer up my house, and he was confused. He meant his yard flooded but his house was fine. Remedial English lessons will begin when I return.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just down the street from tatortodd here. No water issues here, luckily, the creek a mile away wasn't far off from encroaching on our neighborhood.
Prayers for our affected members.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post