SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FCC bans many two way handhelds
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FCC bans many two way handhelds Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Heads up.

FCC Enforcement Advisory issued.

quote:
TWO-WAY VHF/UHF RADIOS MAY NOT BE IMPORTED, ADVERTISED, OR SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES UNLESS THEY COMPLY WITH THE COMMISSION’S RULES

Refer to link for details.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Looks like a crackdown on the flood of cheap two way radios coming in from China.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Looks like a crackdown on the flood of cheap two way radios coming in from China.

And there are a LOT of them. I watched a guy have one cloned to his agency's work radio in less than 10 minutes. Dozens of channels. For recreation, I wouldn't mind owning them, but I don't trust agency freq's to a Chinese made product.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
This has been coming for years.

Many of the cheap Chinese radios that are imported in huge numbers BLATANTLY violate FCC regs.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The management at Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood have a wall to wall grin right now.

By the way Jim, there are still copies of "DX is" floating around, and will be for a very long time Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

By the way Jim, there are still copies of "DX is" floating around, and will be for a very long time Smile

Only to the deserving and true blue!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was this written by JAllen?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
A book full of DX wisdom, one Amazon review says. I hope one day to find a copy to read. I know of no greater or more faithful Elmer than JAllen, in terms of the number of members here he has helped over the years.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep they are happy. Lots of handheld from China ou there. I think about every ham I know has one.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:

Yep they are happy. Lots of handheld from China ou there. I think about every ham I know has one.

I skipped them and bought a Kenwood. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to assume the Motorola brand radios, which I bought at Costco, are legit. Wink

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Looks like Amazon did not get the memo yet. Something tells me that a 5 watt UHF/VHF transceiver for $22.90 is not on the FCC approved list though the description says FCC certificate so I could be wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Quanshe...ords=quansheng+radio

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t buy one. I bought Moto.

Dumb question: is the FCC reg in question a good one? Or stupidly limiting?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I wouldn’t buy one. I bought Moto.

Dumb question: is the FCC reg in question a good one? Or stupidly limiting?

I’d say stupidly limiting.

Think of it like gun control - the problem is people who use them illegally, the radio is just a tool.

I have one Baofeng and two Retevis HT’s. Yes, they have an “extended” TX freq range to include FRS, GMRS, MUR frequencies in addition to Ham VHF/UHF range.

*IF* I were to put a 2” rubber duckie crap antenna on them and used low power setting (1w) and let my grandkids play on the FRS frequencies, they would effectively be no different then a type accepted FRS radio (which now allow 2w power, but no “detachable antenna”)

I also have a Wouxun which I believe is type accepted and a couple of Yaesu HTs.

Personally I think the CCRs have helped to bring down prices on Yaesu/Kenwwood/Icom etc. Can get a decent name brand dual-band HT for $200 where not that long ago they were $400+. That is (in part) why it took me so long to finally get my Ham license.

Those cheap radios I think have brought a lot of people to the hobby.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10926 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll have to buy a 20 pack of Baofengs.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My guess is these enforcement steps are not aimed at amateurs but at commercial users, urged by manufacturers of type accepted radios tired of seeing their customers buying cheap unapproved radios. The FCC isn’t going to start going to 10ks and bike races to roust hams one by one. Amateur gear need not be type accepted generally anyway. There are problems with purity of emissions with some of these el cheapos which can cause interference.

There are those who cannot bring themselves to abide by rules, no matter what source, who seem to believe that the promugation of rules merely sets the bounds of how to cheat them.

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So, thebthpe listed above from amazon... they are essentially more powerful “walker talkies”? I’m confused if they are legal to use as such.

For instance, would they work for easy communication between vehicles while traveling/caravanning? Is that an appropriate and allowable use or one not allowed and likely to get one in trouble?

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
So, thebthpe listed above from amazon... they are essentially more powerful “walker talkies”? I’m confused if they are legal to use as such.

For instance, would they work for easy communication between vehicles while traveling/caravanning? Is that an appropriate and allowable use or one not allowed and likely to get one in trouble?

Did you read the FCC Enforcement Advisory at the Link?

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Did you read the FCC Enforcement Advisory at the Link?

Sure did. And the listing states that they include the FCC certificate. My question is one of appropriate use and licensing requirements. I don’t wish to operate outside the law but I’d rather have a better quality unit than the cheap “toy” units we’ve tried in the past.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post