SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Product testimonials from real life use, please add to this
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Product testimonials from real life use, please add to this Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I've got a few, no shockers here but I think its good to let people know real life use testimonials.

Wilderness 5-Stitch Belt

It's been my duty bent with my NWU Uniform for 6 years now. Obviously it doesn't get used everyday but it gets worn more than 40 hours a week average. After 6 years it is just now starting to fail me. The hook portion of velcro is starting to separate from the belt itself.

I would say 6 years from a belt is a DAMN good lifespan.

Aimpoint T-1 Micro

I've owned this little guy about 7 years I'd estimate and while it see the exact opposite of hard use (was stored when I PCS'd from California to Hawaii and only recently taken out) this testament is to the battery life. I left it on during that entire time. It was the lowest visible setting but it was still on when I took it out. I'm not sure how that is possible. The battery is still in it NOW. That was a total of about 4 years in storage during that time period. Amazing.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Dewalt cordless tools. Still have all my dad’s 18v tools and they run as good as the day he got them some 20 or so years ago.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Rain-X. All the way around this time of year. It makes the scraping a little easier.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
One note: Product testimonials are great, but if someone is mentioning a product bought “x” years ago, one can’t go into a store and buy that today.

For example, and not to pick on Leemur, but those DeWalt tools from 20 years ago are probably quite different (factory, country of origin etc) than the ones sold today.

My contribution: Channellock pliers, bought in the last year. Fantastic quality, made in the USA.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Fluke meters, multimeters, clamp meters, network meters, and so on.

quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Wilderness 5-Stitch Belt

The hook portion of velcro is starting to separate from the belt itself.

I love this belt, too. I have about 6 or 7, most of which represent different belt sizes before I "spread" somewhat. The 1.75" is great for competition shooting, and the 1.5" for daily carry.

You can send them your buckle and they will put a new belt on it for you. I found in my closet an old 34" belt with a titanium buckle, from back in the day when I could wear it. I sent them the buckle and now have a 5 stitch titanium buckle belt I can wear.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
One note: Product testimonials are great, but if someone is mentioning a product bought “x” years ago, one can’t go into a store and buy that today.

For example, and not to pick on Leemur, but those DeWalt tools from 20 years ago are probably quite different (factory, country of origin etc) than the ones sold today.

My contribution: Channellock pliers, bought in the last year. Fantastic quality, made in the USA.

No, you can’t buy those exact tools but I also bought a 20v Dewalt impact driver and it’s solidly built as well. Most of their products are built in countries other than China which is another reason I still support them. Wink

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
FIST Ultra Thin Kydex holster in NY. I have one for every weapon I own. It is the thinnest one I ever owned and the metal clip on my oldest one is still going strong. He also sells leather holsters.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Dewalt cordless tools. Still have all my dad’s 18v tools and they run as good as the day he got them some 20 or so years ago.

Their tools are built well. I've dropped a few from more then 6' onto concrete and all but one 18v light worked fine. Although I have broken a few from lots of use.

Had to take a 18v nail gun in for repairs. Had a guy break the shaft on a 18v sawzal. Killed the gears or something inside a 18v drill. For the record those tools saw a lot of work in a professional environment not homeowner use. Haven't broken any 20V tools yet but I don't think any of them have the hours on them when the other broke.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Surefire Lights.

I have one that has been beaten to hell and still works. It's older then the new LED ones. Only thing I have done it change the head to a newer LED one a few years ago.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Two C-battery all metal flashlight. The brand is unknown but I suspect it is Ray-O-Vac or EverReady (the logo is worn off). It is probably 50 years old and was always in my Mountain Master frame pack.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
While more for the Pro mechanic I highly recommend Snap ON Impact "guns". I have an 18v Li/Ion that is at least 15 years old. I sent it in to be repaired 2 years ago because the plastic trigger broke. I paid $85 and they replaced everything as far as I can tell. It now rides in the back if my CRV as a back up and road side assistance gun. I most recently used it 2 days ago on the way home. I swear it hits nearly as hard as my new Snap On 20v Impact. The new 20V model hits hard enough that the tire kids will borrow it when their pneumatic gun want break lug nuts free.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Surefire Lights.

I have one that has been beaten to hell and still works. It's older then the new LED ones. Only thing I have done it change the head to a newer LED one a few years ago.

+1 for Surefire lights - they are top-notch. I carry / use one of their 1-battery models daily.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Milt Sparks leather. I use their Summer Special (the earlier-design one-loop variety which can still be crafted by them) IWB holster as well as their 55BN and Roadrunner (I have a write-up about this one in the CCW section) OWB holsters. They are well-made and worth the wait if ordering new.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Estwing hammers. Great build quality, and made in the USA.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop NiMH Low Self-discharge Batteries.

I just finished my annual refresh and retest of my AA and AAA cells. I have cells that go back 8 years and are still operating at 100% of their advertised capacity (e.g., 1950-2050 mah of an advertised 1900 mah).

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not as manly but...Clean Shower. Takes 60 seconds to clean the shower every day. Costs about 2.50 for 3 weeks.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Thanks for this - great timing for me. I have a bunch of Energizer rechargeable batteries (C, AA, and AAA) and have been underwhelmed by their performance.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
The Dell Precision line of desktops and servers.

I buy off lease returns from a guy on FleaBay. Probably made 12 or 15 buys, seldom have any issues. Just keep running.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue Fitness Equipment

Anything they actually make. It will be very well made in Ohio and likely will last a lifetime if its for personal use. In a gym setting with regular use, the quality is obvious when you have other brands to directly compare to.

ACT Fastening Solutions Cable Tie Cutter (w/ wire stripper, specifically model MG-1400). I do a lot of trouble shooting in control circuits where the wires are all neatly trained and secured and I need to trace them out. This tool is designed to cut the cable ties without damaging insulation. I've used this tool for ten years on a weekly basis and it is still good as it was new.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm still using the Eneloops I bought about 10 yrs ago, no issues!!

Semi-non-specific products:

• Microsoft Intellimouse, comfortable mouse, have a couple that I'm still using that are over 12 yrs old
  • Maglula magazine loader, easy to load mags
  • Darn Tough wool socks, very durable
  • Brother Laser Printers, very reliable, great features for price
  • New Balance running shoes, comfortable & durable
  • Osprey backpacks, lots of features, very comfortable
  • Knipex Cobra pliers, very handy
  • REI-branded Komperdell trekking poles with cork grips, comfortable & durable; only ever broke one set due to following off a log and landing across the poles.

quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Thanks for this - great timing for me. I have a bunch of Energizer rechargeable batteries (C, AA, and AAA) and have been underwhelmed by their performance.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post