SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Listing products on Ebay. Must I use PayPal?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Listing products on Ebay. Must I use PayPal? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
I'm considering jumping into the Ebay sellers pool. As a seller, must I use the much dreaded PayPal, or can I list a product requesting Cashiers Check/Postal Money Order?

If I can list it for payment of CC/PMO, how do you do that?

Any other Ebay pitfalls I could fall into?

Any Ebay tips/tricks you may have?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Don't do it!
Ebay is evil.
Sold and bought for many years and paid the sellers premium.
As seller you will have very little protection from scammers.
Ebay backs the buyer and supports the seller very little.
If you can accept that some sales will be given away for free then go for it. Most buyers are honest but the small percentage of scammers make it not worth the hassle imo.

Posts: 18033 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't believe you have to use PayPal.

If you don't, how do you expect to get paid? Few buyers I think will be interested in giving you CC info; going through the hassle of money orders, certified checks, etc., or wait the time for personal checks to clear.

I know I would not.

Member Mustang-PaPa is correct: eBay (and PayPal, both) are strongly oriented toward making the buyer happy. It is for this reason I've been disinclined to sell on eBay, myself. Conversely: It makes buyers more inclined to buy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I've done eBay full time, until I ended up working for eBay. You are going to do a lot of work and eBay will make most of the money with all of the fees they will charge you.

Paypal is manatory. I hope it works for you, it worked for us until they changed the fee structure.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I sold on Ebay it had to be through PayPal, that was a few years ago and my last time I used Ebay to sell anything. And I sold quite a few things on Ebay in years past. But that was it for me.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
eBay web site:

"After you’ve sold an item and the buyer has paid, you’ll automatically receive your proceeds, but the exact process and timing will depend on the payment method the buyer used. If the buyer pays with either PayPal or a credit or debit card, we’ll send you an email to let you know when the payment is in your account.

PayPal: When a buyer pays with PayPal, they’ll send money directly to your PayPal account. This is usually immediate.

Credit or debit card: If a buyer uses a credit or debit card and you don’t have a merchant gateway, then their payment is processed through the PayPal payment gateway before being added to your PayPal account.

Payment on pickup: If your buyer is paying when they collect the item from you, you can accept bank or personal checks, money orders, cash, PayPal, or cards. How quickly the money is available to you will depend on the payment method. We don’t recommend accepting personal checks or money orders for payment on pickup because if there’s a problem, it could be harder to resolve than with other methods."

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I just bought some things on EBay and used Apple Pay.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Stay away from eBay unless you are a buyer, it's way too easy to get screwed selling on there now and yes PayPal is all you can use.

My last sale was a $20 pitch black item I posted 12 pictures of on eBay and marked no returns. The buyer got it and decided to tell eBay that the description was wrong and the item isn't gray like he thought it was.

EBay immediately pulls back my payment, tells me to allow the buyer to return it shipped at my expense which, between their fees and the shipping I ate to sell it, would have put me negative on the sale! I disputed his claim, never heard from eBay, never got the product back and then 3 months later magically I had my money back in my PayPal account.

I took it as a very cheap lesson, since I had sold much more pricey items on there over the years but things have changed. It started with not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback on deadbeat bidders. Never again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LBAR15,

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Their fees are unacceptable, IMO.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Don't do it!
Ebay is evil.
Sold and bought for many years and paid the sellers premium.
As seller you will have very little protection from scammers.
Ebay backs the buyer and supports the seller very little.
If you can accept that some sales will be given away for free then go for it. Most buyers are honest but the small percentage of scammers make it not worth the hassle imo.

Exactly right. Ebay has changed so much since its inception, its no longer a viable option for a seller looking to make a buck.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
So what would be some alternative sites for the OP to sell on? I think its a shame people have ruined the Ebay site as I used to enjoy buying there. What kind of products are you wanting to sell on line H&K-Guy?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
So what would be some alternative sites for the OP to sell on? I think its a shame people have ruined the Ebay site as I used to enjoy buying there. What kind of products are you wanting to sell on line H&K-Guy?

Thank you very much for your responses. You are exactly right, David, I need an alternative.

I'm selling a refurbished computer server in the $1,800 to $2,200 dollar range. Where else could I go?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I don't believe you have to use PayPal.

If you don't, how do you expect to get paid? Few buyers I think will be interested in giving you CC info; going through the hassle of money orders, certified checks, etc., or wait the time for personal checks to clear.

I know I would not.

Member Mustang-PaPa is correct: eBay (and PayPal, both) are strongly oriented toward making the buyer happy. It is for this reason I've been disinclined to sell on eBay, myself. Conversely: It makes buyers more inclined to buy.

There are other online payment methods that are better than paypal. Zelle is one of them. Apple pay. Venmo is another.

Problem is in regards to selling on EBAY that most buyers feel more comfortable buying from you if you accept Paypal because EBAY can better protect the buyer with paypal.

I heard EBAY was supposed to come out with their own payment processing service but don't know what became of that.

A friend of mine has a business where he makes his entire living selling on EBAY, generally electronics (phones/tablets/etc.) and it still is a viable way to sell, just need to know the ins and outs.....no international buyers, etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sell it on SF. I've seen folks sell all kinds of things on here, from cars to diamond rings. Even a blender. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Sell it on SF. I've seen folks sell all kinds of things on here, from cars to diamond rings. Even a blender. Big Grin

Yup. If I had something to sell I wasn't selling locally-only, SF would be my first stop Smile

For locally-only, we have used Facebook Marketplace.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Facebook Marketplace gets some great exposure of things for sale. Easy to use the site also.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
There are other online payment methods that are better than paypal. Zelle is one of them. Apple pay. Venmo is another.
FYI:

"Venmo is a service of PayPal, Inc., a licensed provider of money transfer services (NMLS ID: 910457). All money transmission is provided by PayPal, Inc. pursuant to PayPal, Inc.’s licenses. © 2020 PayPal, Inc."

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post