SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    anyone ever seen data on people that get shot?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone ever seen data on people that get shot? Login/Join 
posted
I am wondering if there is a data base ?

wondering if 180 hospitals are on some kind of network ?

example:
how many people came in with verifiable g.s.wounds ?

how many people were treated and released?

how many people stayed overnight or longer?

how many came in d.o.a. ?

how many people did they not treat , just left the bullet in there ?

does something like this exist ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d imagine anyone who shows gets treated. I’m sure there are some cases where the treating physician elects to leave the bullet in place as the removal is judged more dangerous than leaving it, but I’d guess that the patient still gets some treatment.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Heyjackass has plenty of stats for Chicago. I'd assume that the percentages would be representative of other American cities. The FBI has a huge amount of data available; you can start here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I watched a grainy video of a trauma surgeon presenting a lecture on gun shot wounds. He stated most patients shot with a handgun of any caliber survive their wounds while most patients shot with a rifle of any caliber do not. The numbers were surprising indeed. As I recall, it was along the lines of 6 of 7 handgun shootings result in survival while 6 of 7 rifle shootings result in death.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
I’d imagine anyone who shows gets treated. I’m sure there are some cases where the treating physician elects to leave the bullet in place as the removal is judged more dangerous than leaving it, but I’d guess that the patient still gets some treatment.
My best friend has a bullet in his liver that was left in place because it would have been more dangerous to remove it. It doesn't appear to be causing him any problems. (He was a cop and got shot by one of his comrades by accident in a night engagement.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Many years ago, I watched a grainy video of a trauma surgeon presenting a lecture on gun shot wounds. He stated most patients shot with a handgun of any caliber survive their wounds while most patients shot with a rifle of any caliber do not. The numbers were surprising indeed. As I recall, it was along the lines of 6 of 7 handgun shootings result in survival while 6 of 7 rifle shootings result in death.

This one? https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...sco-general-hospital

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I still have 158gr .357mag shrapnel in my chest. It is encapsulated, but I have x-rays once a year to determine if it's migrated.

The FBI UCR mentioned above is the best source of information on firearms incidents, but it won't go into all the specifics you asked.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

This one? https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...sco-general-hospital

No. I did some digging. Here's the link:

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think he has too much time on his hands.

Elijah Cummings is looking for someone to shovel coal. Interested? Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have always read the same. Something like 75% of those shot with a pistol live. Move up to a rifle and especially a shotgun loaded with #4 or greater a persons chances of survival DRASTICALLY reduce. I have a LITTLE experience with LEO shootings and this holds true.

Pistols are great deterrents, I mean nobody wants to get shot, and chances are even a muzzle flash will quickly remind an attacker they left the iron on at home and need to turn it off NOW. That being said they are far from Phasers. A load of 12 gauge 00 buck is a WHOLE NOTHER paradigm shift. Think well centered burst from a Skorpian SMG. One round of .32....no big deal. 9 rounds on top of each other......BFD.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I heard that:

90% of people shot with a handgun survive.

90% of the people attacked with a knife do not.

It was said that knife attacks are more lethal because they are up close and personal.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Knives typically land more wounds as well. Point blank, no reloads, fast, disparate wound locations. Knives suck.

And as an asshole who was stabbed ....... by himself......I can attest a single stab wound bleeds ALOT....FAST.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My HD gun will always be the 12GA. shotgun. I base my choice on professional observation of its effectiveness.
As far as data on actual shootings, I would think that if a database was made, it would be made by a Coroners office.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have always read the same. Something like 75% of those shot with a pistol live.

Torso shots.

I never saw anybody who had been shot in the head with a handgun who survived it. Bear in mind that they were all deliberately shot at close range in the back or top of the skull.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Gunshot Wounds" by Vincent DiMaio may be helpful. He coordinated a number of coroners sharing data over several decades.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont know about official statistics, but as a crime scene detective in a medium sized city with a very high violent crime rate..... I can tell you that the number of people who make full recoveries from what would likely have been a fatal gunshot 20 years ago is amazing.

Also, it is not uncommon for people to be shot in the head and survive. I had a guy shot in the head with a 5.56 two years ago. He is alive and lives a somewhat normal life. I would say that we have had a dozen or more people shot in the head and survive on the last few years.

Officer Jared Reston from Jacksonville, FL is a top notch trainer and has an amazing story of being shot in the face with a .45 (and shot five or six other times) only to return fire and kill his assailant. He points out in his training, and I can affirm through personal experience that the human body is very unimpressed by pistol bullets. Obviously, certain organs, arteries, and CNS shots can be fatal, but unless you turn a guys lights off with a well placed shot to the right spot on the head, bad guys still have some fight in them.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have always read the same. Something like 75% of those shot with a pistol live.

Torso shots.

I never saw anybody who had been shot in the head with a handgun who survived it. Bear in mind that they were all deliberately shot at close range in the back or top of the skull.

Agreed. I was thinking, for lack of a better word “average”, gunfights.

People are weird and varied and fairly tough animals though and plenty of folks have survived some pretty gnarly head trauma, although I imagine a .45 to the back of the melon is pretty much sopranos finale territory.

posted Hide Post
info here:

In 1 of 6 cases of criminal assault inflicting a gunshot wound, the victim dies.

https://jamanetwork.com/journa.../fullarticle/2688536

usual caveat of correlation / causation ...

also FYI JAMA is known to bend left in political mindset

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

90% of the people attacked with a knife do not.

It was said that knife attacks are more lethal because they are up close and personal.

that percentage sounds high but it sent me down the rabbit hole on knife attacks and found this:

https://www.urbanfitandfearles...t-knife-attacks.html

good info

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember when dealing with survival stats, our medical people have gotten very, very good at successfully treating GSWs. If someone shot can reach a major trauma center quickly, his odds of surviving go way up.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post