SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    County DA’s office looks into missing $1.2M of purchases
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County DA’s office looks into missing $1.2M of purchases Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Worker grilled in theft of fajitas.

The Cameron County District Attorney’s Office has beef with one Juvenile Justice Department employee, alleging he stole $1.2 million worth of fajitas during the past nine years.

The Cameron County Juvenile Justice Department does not serve fajitas.

“If it wasn’t so serious, you’d think it was a Saturday Night Live skit. But this is the real thing,” District Attorney Luis V. Saenz said.

On Aug. 7, Gilberto Escamilla took a day off to go to a medical appointment. A driver from Labatt Food Service in Harlingen — the Juvenile Justice Department’s meat vendor — called the kitchen to inform it of an 800-pound delivery of fajitas.

The woman who answered the phone said the driver was mistaken, and that the kitchen did not serve fajitas. That was when the driver told her he had been delivering fajitas to the Juvenile Justice Department for the past nine years, Saenz said.

“The receiver of the call rushes off to the supervisor and conveys to her the discussion that had been had, and that breaks the case,” Saenz said. “When Mr. Escamilla reports to work the next day, he is confronted with the discussion and he admits he had been stealing fajitas for nine years.”

He was fired Aug. 8 and arrested Aug. 9 after the DA’s Office Special Investigations Unit obtained a search warrant. When officers searched Escaramilla’s house, they found packets of fajitas in his refrigerator.

At the time, the value of the order had been between $2,500 and $30,000, a state jail felony. Escamilla was booked into jail and made bond. But the DA’s Office kept digging.

After gathering documents from Labatt Food Service and the CountyAuditor’s Office, which included invoices, vouchers and purchase orders, the investigations unit concluded that Escaramilla had stolen $1,251,578 worth of fajitas.

“He would literally, on the day he ordered them, deliver them to customers he had already lined up,” Saenz said. “We’ve been able to uncover two of his purchasers, and they are cooperating with the investigation.”

Escamilla was arrested Tuesday on a first-degree theft felony.

All county juvenile justice departments are given a menu by the state. The Cameron County Juvenile Justice Department’s menu mirrors the San BenitoConsolidatedIndependentSchool District’s menu. The county services about 100 detainees each year, Saenz said.

In a statement, Chief Juvenile Probation Officer Rose Gomez of the Cameron County Juvenile Justice Department said Escamilla’s actions have led to a review of department policy.

“The Juvenile Justice Department is working closely with the Auditor’s Office to institute procedures, controls and safeguards to avoid a recurrence of this type of situation. The Department expects that wrongdoers will be punished and assures that procedures and protocols have been established,” Gomez said. “The Department will continue to strive to provide necessary and appropriate care, custody and protection of those juveniles in its custody as well as protection of public moneys (sic).”

The investigation showed a “total failure” of the chain of authority, especially since the Juvenile Justice Department had been exceeding its line item budget consistently, Saenz said.

“Up and down the chain of authority, people were signing off on these things,” Saenz said. “It’s upsetting because the auditor gets a detailed invoice where it states the breakdown of what’s delivered, so they should’ve seen it.”

Cameron County Auditor Martha Galarza declined to comment because the investigation was ongoing.

“What do you tell the taxpayers? What do you tell the housewife and the blue collar worker that pay their county taxes, when paying their taxes takes a big bite out of their paycheck? How do you explain that? They’ve got the right to be upset. It is upsetting,” Saenz said.

fgarza@brownsvilleherald.com

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The investigation showed a “total failure” of the chain of authority, especially since the Juvenile Justice Department had been exceeding its line item budget consistently, Saenz said.

“Up and down the chain of authority, people were signing off on these things,” Saenz said. “It’s upsetting because the auditor gets a detailed invoice where it states the breakdown of what’s delivered, so they should’ve seen it.”

It's not their money. Why would they care?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

It was their responsibility.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:...It was their responsibility.

Au contraire. It is society's responsibility to keep it's public servants comfortable and happy. Whether public servants actually do anything to earn their pay is not in the equation. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

Au contraire. It is society's responsibility to keep it's public servants comfortable and happy. Whether public servants actually do anything to earn their pay is not in the equation. Wink

For a second, I thought you were joking, then I saw that you’re from California. Wink

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The County Auditor, Commissioners and County Judge have a lot of ‘splainin’ to do.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
As the GAO said, "Everywhere we look, we see waste and fraud."

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well now you're getting into technicalities. Big Grin

We recently had a local tax increase to support an ambulance district. They cried that they hadn't had one in many years and were barely scraping by. The voters passed it.

They decided to spend some of that money on new ambulances. Great. Exactly what it was supposed to do. I get a copy of one of their purchase agreements, and couldn't help but notice that they were paying window sticker price for the truck.

No negotiations. They simply asked how much their new toys would cost, were given a number, and had the funds to write a check.

When it comes to our government, spending is one of the largest problems.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

There's that word again. There is no relationship between 'government' and 'responsibility' any longer.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
As the GAO said, "Everywhere we look, we see waste and fraud."
Of course they do! It's government for god's sake!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You can say it's a wrap, but the cops found ain't the whole enchilada yet. He bean stealing for a long time. More news tamale.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31429 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:
quote:

For a second, I thought you were joking, then I saw that you’re from California. Wink

Yes I am, hopefully that will change next year.

And as I read this thread, I am almost on the floor in laughter. Maybe gallows humor, because irresponsible gov't spending may well be the tsunami (or hurricane if you wish) that collapses our economy.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
You can say it's a wrap, but the cops found ain't the whole enchilada yet. He bean stealing for a long time. More news tamale.

You are terrible. Wink

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:
quote:

Yes I am, hopefully that will change next year.

And as I read this thread, I am almost on the floor in laughter. Maybe gallows humor, because irresponsible gov't spending may well be the tsunami (or hurricane if you wish) that collapses our economy.

Practically all government spending is irresponsible.

posted Hide Post
Those fajitas, nachos bro.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of questions. What was his position? Did he intercept the meat at the detention center and then carry boxes out to his car? No one ever saw him? Does the head of juv det not responsible for signing off on line item list of purchases? Some det cntrs ask com court for a waiver so they don't have to go through the purchasing dept which reduces scrutiny of their purchases. Auditor failed to have adequate controls in place to verify material recd. not uncommon unfortunently.

My former county sprays mosquito control chemicals from the air. Years ago, Mosquito control director stole chemicals and sold them. He sprayed county with chems diluted with water. Went on for years apparrently. He went to prison. People will always figure out a way to steal if they want to. Govts need to have strict controls.

Citizen complain about gov procurement laws being too cumbersome. My reply is that if elected officials, dept heads and employees were honest, the rules wouldn't be so strict and involved. Govt procurement rules are modeled after the "Model Procurement Code for Governments" published by the American Bar Association. The codes are a guide only and each gov entitity modifies according to needs, law and lobbyist influence. The code does not specify in detail how to set up checks and balances. Procurement procedures may be specific but if no one is enforcing or auditing them and if inventotory procedures are lax, then people will abuse the system.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

You are terrible. Wink

That's chili.

I do think we can huevos goodbye to the dough.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31429 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If government employees with responsibility for the conduct of those they supervised lost their jobs or faced criminal charges in appropriate facts, this might be a lot less common.

It’s the job of everyone in the purchasing chain to verify what they are approving is legit.

Handling money is simple but it requires diligence.

posted Hide Post
Dude had been pilfering 130k+ Per year of stolen goods and nobody noticed for 9 years ?!
130k tax free is like what 175k pretax ? Plus his cushy government job ? Does he still get to keep his pension ?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:....Citizen complain about gov procurement laws being too cumbersome. My reply is that if elected officials, dept heads and employees were honest, the rules wouldn't be so strict and involved....

Procurement procedures may be specific but if no one is enforcing or auditing them and if inventory procedures are lax, then people will abuse the system.

Maybe there's a clue in there. Maybe some assigned to monitor/audit/enforce gov't spending are themselves dishonest.