SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting visitor to the neighborhood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting visitor to the neighborhood Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted

Had about a half dozen of these guys show up a few minutes ago, don't normally see Turkey Vultures in this neck of the woods. As suddenly as they appeared they vanished, shortly after this photo was taken. I'm thinking they were blown here by a gust front that moved through the state.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I had one sitting on a fence post out in front of the house a couple of years ago. Had no idea what it was, but damn those things are ugly! He hung around for a few days, but I haven't seen any since.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Actually, I just looked out the window and they're back. And I was wrong, there are at least a dozen, maybe two dozen. Man, they're big!

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
How old are you? What is your health like? Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I am covered up with them here.
The smaller Mexican Buzzards are more aggressive. Calves have been lost to on neighboring ranches.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

Razz I'm in good health, thank you. I tried to get them interested in one or all of the neighbor's cats, to no avail. Wink

posted Hide Post
We are covered up by turkey vulture around here. They are everywhere and eat good to. Mostly on venison, but anything will do.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Strange they are not common in your area.

Where I live, they are seen every day. And 2 varieties, Turkey and SC buzzards.

Must not be many trees in your neck of the woods.

Don't be endangering them cats, ya hear? Smile

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
We are covered up by turkey vulture around here.

Me too, I see them literally every day in my area.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trooperdan
posted Hide Post
always amazed me how ugly they are on the ground yet how amazing to watch in the air.

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Better hope they don't choose to roost in trees in your yard. They produce a very powerful smelling manure.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of them here.
When I was in the water/sewer utility field, my new boss and I were driving around checking out our sewer pump stations. Typically, if a station has a strong odor liquid sodium hypochlorite is introduced into the system. As we pulled up to a pump station, the trees were filled with Turkey Buzzards. It seems they can smell the methane gas and think it is dead carrion, and congregate to the area to find it.
We upped the dosage of the hypo and the birds disappeared within a day.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Ours used to fly south in the winter.

This winter they all stayed around here. Not sure what that means. Maybe they knew the winter would not be so bad, or they got used to eating all the dead deer along the roads.

Seen a lot of them doing that, too.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
They are all over northern Virginia. We have a deer overpopulation versus human overpopulation problem up here that results in a ton of roadkill. Which allows them to eat and eat

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I came very close to reducing their population by one about two weeks ago here in Georgia.

They do look big when they're about to bounce off your windshield!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjdRL6Tmes

P.S. Watch it at 720 HD.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:

Razz I'm in good health, thank you. I tried to get them interested in one or all of the neighbor's cats, to no avail. Wink
According to the Wikipedia article on Turkey Vultures, they don't attack live animals. They feed on dead creatures only (unlike some of their relatives).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:

According to the Wikipedia article on Turkey Vultures, they don't attack live animals. They feed on dead creatures only (unlike some of their relatives).

flashguy

Unfortunately., my neighbor, who raises cattle, tells me, the vultures are bad for going after newborn calves

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Two posts about people who claim vultures will go after, or kill calves. I don't believe it for a minute. There's a reason for the old cartoon, "Patience Hell, I'm gonna kill somethin'." Because it's a joke

I know of two vultures in the U.S. and their common names are Turkey vulture and Black vulture. What does "SC" stand for.

The thread reminds me of Ed Abbey. He wrote about vultures soaring on "indolent wings."

BTW, see a bird big enough that you're not sure if it's a vulture or an eagle? An eagle soars on flat wings, a vulture with their wings set on a dihedral.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
We are covered up by turkey vulture around here. ...

Tried it one Thanksgiving.

They don't call them "Turkey" vultures for the reason one might think...

Them eatin' good and good eatin' ain't the same, same.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Taught my son when he was little that they were natures pit crew. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post